The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: Rigil's New Endeavour thread...

Postby Rigil Kent » Mon May 28, 2007 4:49 am

hth2k wrote:I really like that you had Tucker make a visit to sickbay before going to engineering. Wish Archer had as well.

Archer was with him.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

hth2k
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby hth2k » Mon May 28, 2007 4:51 am

^^Cool, Guess I missed that.

HtH

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Mon May 28, 2007 5:00 am

Going back, it appears that I don't actually reveal that little factoid. I think that my image was that he was actually at sickbay before Trip was as Archer was helping get Horizon's wounded to the medical facility while Tucker manned the transporter controls...

Phlox ordered both of them out of his domain, though. Didn't need a pilot or an engineer getting in the way of the medics.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

pookha
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby pookha » Mon May 28, 2007 9:09 am

if the operative has the command codes for most of the ships they have to be pretty high rank.

why not find a way to attach horizon to part of the ship.
it would reduce the area of the warp field they need to keep stable.

do tellarites have warp 7 ships. i suspect they have at least
warp five .
the tellarites are like the traders and the frieghters.
let them carry around some of the other ships.

it makes sense to have supply bases set up between earth and places of operation.
i cant remember the status of the tellarites but it would be a great use of them if they are not ready to actually fight.

and they are very familar with different sectors including probably all the warp highways.
remember they were traveling near sol back in the 1950's.

i dont think two damaged ships would be a good idea to haul another ship.
the warp field flucuation would be great. look at the trouble enterprise and columbia had in matching warp fields.

romulasn have pon farr... ok??
i dont see it but it is your story
Smile
they might have mating instincts but i dont see the pon farr madness personally.

Shakabutt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Shakabutt » Mon May 28, 2007 9:37 am

Finally i can read it here,Thanks Rigil Thumbs Up

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Mon May 28, 2007 4:35 pm

pookha wrote:romulasn have pon farr... ok??
Smile
they might have mating instincts but i dont see the pon farr madness personally.

Basically, I kind of agree with you, pookha.

The way I interpret it, there's no way for pon farr to have become part of the Vulcan culture since Surak brought them out of their Dark Ages. Evolution doesn't work like that. It would have to have been hardwired into the Vulcan species when they first began to evolve into sentient creatures. Therefore, it stands to reason that Romulans, who are descended from that stock, also have pon farr.

Due to a number of reasons, I doubt that their cycle is anywhere near as harsh as the Vulcans. For one thing, it's my theory that the Romulans interbred with other species which would, by logic, reduce the harshness of the amok time (but not eliminating it, as we saw with Spock who was a hybrid). Further, since Romulans don't try to rigidly suppress all emotions, they don't build up ... tension, for lack of a better word, so when the cycle comes around, they're not wound ultra tight. I figure that, for a Romulan male entering his amok time, its just a period of heightened emotional anxiety and sexual arousal. It might also be the only time that he is fertile, but I haven't given that much thought.

Sig by Chrisis1033.

pookha
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby pookha » Mon May 28, 2007 5:20 pm

back to the towing thing..
it might be possible instead of side docking a ship that they can dock in from the landing bay.
there is something in precious cargo about their helping out the pirate ship to reach home more quickly by doing this.

but, i also like the idea of the tellarties doing ferry service for starfleet.
i just cant remember or have time to remember their status in all this/

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Mon May 28, 2007 5:29 pm

Rigil Kent wrote:
pookha wrote:romulasn have pon farr... ok??
Smile

Basically, I kind of agree with you, pookha.

The way I interpret it, there's no way for pon farr to have become part of the Vulcan culture since Surak brought them out of their Dark Ages. Evolution doesn't work like that. It would have to have been hardwired into the Vulcan species when they first began to evolve into sentient creatures. Therefore, it stands to reason that Romulans, who are descended from that stock, also have pon farr.

Due to a number of reasons, I doubt that their cycle is anywhere near as harsh as the Vulcans. For one thing, it's my theory that the Romulans interbred with other species which would, by logic, reduce the harshness of the amok time (but not eliminating it, as we saw with Spock who was a hybrid). Further, since Romulans don't try to rigidly suppress all emotions, they don't build up ... tension, for lack of a better word, so when the cycle comes around, they're not wound ultra tight. I figure that, for a Romulan male entering his amok time, its just a period of heightened emotional anxiety and sexual arousal. It might also be the only time that he is fertile, but I haven't given that much thought.

I agree with this also. Remeber how Spok, Tuvok, and what's his name on VOY all tried their best to supress their reactions until they exploded. Why bother? A romulan would probably go find a woman as soon as the urge hit and get rid of the pressure right away, before he had time to go crazy.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon May 28, 2007 10:06 pm

Rigil Kent wrote:The way I interpret it, there's no way for pon farr to have become part of the Vulcan culture since Surak brought them out of their Dark Ages. Evolution doesn't work like that. It would have to have been hardwired into the Vulcan species when they first began to evolve into sentient creatures. Therefore, it stands to reason that Romulans, who are descended from that stock, also have pon farr.

That's a really good explanation. Thumbs Up I've for a long time wrestled with the issue of pon farr and Romulans for the reasons you state. It's not something that's just 2,000 years old. Vulcan WTF
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

pookha
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby pookha » Mon May 28, 2007 10:33 pm

bones who had been running tests on spock believed it was controlling the emotions that was responsible for the madness..

: They still go mad at this time. Perhaps it's the price they pay for having no emotions the rest of the time.

the vulcan public persona is not natural at all in is in fact total opposite of the natural state.
it is maintained with control including daily medtation.
it isnt suprising during what may had originally been during a mild rise in hormones it turned into something far worse for vulcans.
i also wouldnt be suprised if that it naturally occured more often in the past and still does with romulans.
that the disruption of the natural state delays it until the seven year cycle.

personally i do wonder with vulcans who do mate and have been in long term relationships with their mates if a lot of the more crazy part of it is backed down somewhat.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Mon May 28, 2007 10:47 pm

Right. That tracks with my theory. Like I said, I see the Rommie version of pon farr as being much less intense than anything that a Vulcan would go through because they (the Rommies) aren't into rigid suppression or anything ...

Rigil Kent wrote:
Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:Oh, have you picked out any "actors" for the roles of D'deridex and S'enrae?

Sorta. D'deridex is a smooth head Rommie, so I'll probably use an unnamed and relatively young Vulcan male from ENT. S'enrae I kind of envision as Jessica Biel with the bumpy forehead and longer hair than the ugly bowl cut Rommies usually have.

Okay, I've done some reflecting and I think that I'm mentally envisioning Adrian Pasdar (pictured below) as D'deridex. No bumpy forehead, but with pointed ears...

Sig by Chrisis1033.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Tue May 29, 2007 2:05 am

Rigil Kent wrote:IMO, humans are more flexible and adaptive, which is what will ultimately result in their victory. They "think outside the box", so to speak, while the Romulans, like all long-lived species, think in the long term which slows their short-term reactions.

The other Romulan disadvantage is their authoritarianism. It discourages innovation, which means that someone who could be a bright military strategist gets scoffed at because he's too outside the box, so he's either forced to conform or stuck cleaning plasma conduits. So then contrast that with Trip, who's constantly coming up with new and innovative things.

Mitchell
Commander
Commander

Postby Mitchell » Tue May 29, 2007 2:11 am

He'd make a good Rommie. Cool
Like yer theory on Vulcans, an Rommies an Ponn farr. It makes sence that both would suffer from it, an that the Vulcans supression of emotion an all things related has turned it into some sort of super intence version of what they orginaly suffered from.

Im just still not a fan of the Idea of the Rommies Cross breeding on their lil trek to found an Empire. Dosnt track with the Impression I got over the years of the Rommies. I like to beleave in the Idea that an entire "sub divission of the Vulcan Race (the bumpy headed Rommies) got their butts kicked an along with a few Normal/Smooth Headed Vulcanoid Followers got their arses kicked off the Vulcan Homeworld. If a massive exodus of one subdivission of the Vulcan race left, their really would be no need to fear inbreeding along the way, an thuse they wouldnt need to seak out "fresh Blood" to keep the race healthy. It be like the Rest of Earth's Population Kickin all people of Middle Eastern decent off of Earth to go find a new Home. Neutral

Rigil Kent wrote:
Mitchell wrote:Well I wasnt shocked.

I was actually referring to Valdore's death, not the operative. There have been enough hints in the previous fics to point toward there being a leak - I think that BnB had a couple of theories in the previous thread before the Great Server Crash of '07 that I never confirmed nor denied.

Well actualy in that master character list you posted while back before this latest scene, you listed him as going to die/as a result of this battle I beleave. Cool So no I wasnt suprized.
An if the Rommies were gona name a class of ship after Ol D'deridex I figured he would have to become a great Leader for the Rommies, an Valadore was kinda in the way for that to happen.

Uh the Earth ships have thuse far proven to be so far more combat worthy, have faster vessels, an they have more fire power to. The Advantage the Romulans have, er Had over Starfleet Forces was that the Rommies had higher fleet numbers, and a better Commander at the top so far.

You're making an assumption that's inaccurate, I'm afraid. A bird of prey is the Romulan equivalent of a Neptune-class (the half saucers) and outclasses/outguns it. A warbird is the equivalent of an Enterprise-class (or NX class if you insist) ... and generally outgun and outclass it. Due to the extensive upgrades made on Endeavour (and the tech they reverse-engineered from an Orion ship), the NC-06 is the only ship in Earth's fleet (right now) that could go toe to toe with a warbird and possibly emerge victorious without resorting to some sort of trickery. (Helps that its the "Hero Ship", too).

Reread the first engagement in this fic: it took three ships to destroy a warbird (an ENT-class and two Neptunes). The Rommies have (or had, I suppose) the advantage in higher numbers, superior fleet commander, and better warships. IMO, humans are more flexible and adaptive, which is what will ultimately result in their victory. They "think outside the box", so to speak, while the Romulans, like all long-lived species, think in the long term which slows their short-term reactions.

Does that make sense?

Yeah. But I was under the impression that These rushed into a Military role, exploration vessels thuse far were keepin atleast on even ground thuse far with their Rommie counter parts. Especialy since from the visuals weve gotten so far on screen the Rommie ships apeared not to have more then the one weapon port on both the BOP, an the Drone's adaptive Energy cannon.

Pluss the Fact you had Trip refer to the Warbird's as the "Rommie's version of an NX/Enterprise class" kinda led me into that belief as well.

Pluss I was takin into account that TPTB when designing these "Warrior" Race's ships, they tend to design them stupid for a military culture. Confused Both the Rommie, an Klingon ships through out the Years have had pretty piss poor rearward weapon coverage on their ships.
Confused But knowin you, I guess you decided to throw that out the window, an are imagining that the Rommie ships have hiddin weapon ports comin out of the ying yang aimed in every direction, or close to it. Wink

The fact that Rommies keep trying to aquire tech, such as transporters, an the fact they keep trying to capture starfleet vessels, especialy NX class vessels proves they beleave theirs something worth the trouble of attempting a capture to get to that tech. Atleast it proves it to me, that they might see Earth as of having some superior tech.

Nope. It proves that Earth has some different tech that might be able to be pressed into service.

Confused Well if they dont have it. Dont that make it supperior to the non exsistent version of the tech they didnt have? Raspberry
BTW:
Confused Did the Rommie BOPs, an yer Warbirds have sheilds? cant remember long day. Confused My Memory is fuzzy, but I think that the Drone only had hull plating simaler to the NX-01 had. But its been awhile since I rewatched that episode. Confused I know we didnt see anything on screen when it came to the BOP an defencive systems.

From what IVe seen Earth needs to bump up production, an find a Fleet Commander who can win the War for Earth.

They've got one ... you just won't like him. Twisted Evil

Tsk Tsk If you say Archer! Im gona revoke yer membership in the Archer haters/disslikers club. Laughing
TnT I love em. Very Happy

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Tue May 29, 2007 2:22 am

Mitchell wrote:Im just still not a fan of the Idea of the Rommies Cross breeding on their lil trek to found an Empire. Dosnt track with the Impression I got over the years of the Rommies.

Whyever not? First of all, we've only seen a small number of Romulans. These tend to be the "best and the brightest." So what if, in order to get to the top, they had to be extra paranoid? Maybe Joe Romulan isn't so paranoid. And too, going with Rigil's theory of milder pon farr, suppose Joe Romulan needed a woman and all the women on board the ship he left Vulcan on were already married. So he finds himself a nice woman somewhere and she decides to go with him. (Clearly there are some willing to do this, a la Archer's wife in "E2.") There needn't be many in the beginning to establish bumpy foreheads as a dominant trait - "Lineage" (VOY) mentioned Klingon ridges being present for several generations.

Hey, Rigil, are you ever going to get back to telling us what Soval is up to? (Not even bothering to ask who the Tal Shiar agent is. I figure it'll be two stories later before we learn that. *sigh*)

Mitchell
Commander
Commander

Postby Mitchell » Tue May 29, 2007 2:46 am

Confused Because I beleave that A) it wouldnt of been just one tiny lil ship, but Rather a good sized fleet of very low Warp, or sub light generational ships that they used to "Escape" from Vulcan. Thousands of people, possible even as high as a hundred thousand or more.

An B) Romulans from what Ive seen have been pretty cocky over the years. Confused Sure once in awhile you'll see a Romulan citizen like Sela who rose to the Top. But she also seemed to dispise her Human heritage, which her own father I guess helped to instill that into her. An other Examples of Half Romulans Half something else, have either been citezins of the Federation, or outcast of the Rommie Empire. The Prison Camp from the TNG where the former Romulan Guards were living in coexsistence with their former Klingon prisoners. Correct me If Im wrong, but didnt the people in that camp beleave they truely had no where else to go. tHeir Half Klingon, half Romulan Children would not be accepted on either Home world. Let alone their spouses. Confused

Accept for the ocasional silver tonged "Diplomat", the majority of Rommies right off the bat come off in a superior attituded kinda way. they seemed to instantly right off the ball look down on to every other race, as if they were lesser beings. Accept with the Vulcans. They seem to truely one way or another want to return to their Homeworld, an their brothers. But seem to prefir the idea of Converting their Vulcan brothers, an sisters to the Superior Romulan way of life, rather then convert themselves.

Confused Im pretty sure Ive gone through all this before, an Im really not lookin forward to goin down that road, again. Rolling Eyes Takes up way to much time, I dont have. Laughing
TnT I love em. Very Happy

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”