Status and Support

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Thot
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Status and Support

Postby Thot » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:23 am

Kotik wrote:I would suspect that not too many in here are German speakers, or are they.

Here's a native German speaker. :thumbsup:

Kotik wrote:I was always unsure of wether there is an audience...

For the most part, the German readers switch to the English versions and areas, if there isn't a German section in the first place.
Therefore, I doubt that you would get the attention of many new readers but the ones, who are already active in the English section.

... and writing a good original story in German is very tricky,

Oh yes. English is much less "demanding" at the quality of words to create a proper atmosphere than German. Just look at the lyrics of many English pop songs: if you translate them into German, you realize, that they are worse than the most lyrics of the sob stuff/tearjerker/"Schlager" songs here in Germany.
Well, how to explain "Schlager" to people form the US or England? :?:
My best guess would be something like Roger Whittaker, Julio Iglesias or Barry Manilow: embarrassing, kitschy, your grandmother loves it; fond of fuzzy-effect lighting and spotlights to give the effect of sunshone even when it is raining; glow in the dark teeth; clapping people around them, who are either older or very simple minded/unpretentious.
Something like crooners, but while crooners still have huge influences from jazz or country music, while Schlager has more the influences from the much more soppy "Volkslied".
Schlager is probably a mere German phenomenon.
If you are fearless, you can listen to some of it under this link (just click the 'Player starten' icon) - it's a Schlager radio station in Germany and something of the worst nightmare of everybody in Germany, who's under 40 years old and doesn't want to be regarded as completely uncool.

I'm hoping not to offend anybody in his or choice of music. :mrgreen:

I could translate a short one of yours for you to see how it turns out, if you like :mrgreen:

So, if you need a "beta" for the translation... just write me a PM.
"If we simply judge our past, we only condamn ourself not to understand it."

- Peter Godman

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Postby Distracted » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:43 am

Well, shoot. I was hoping Kotik had a German language site we could post our translated stories on and get MORE COMMENTS! (That I couldn't read without help, but still...they would be comments. 8) )
Image sig by chrisis1033

Navigator
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Navigator » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:34 pm

Well, how to explain "Schlager" to people form the US or England?

I gathered up the courage and listened for a while. It's "elevator music" - or a close relative. Sometimes called "doctor's office music" - sorry Distracted. My daughter is minoring in German in college. Has been listening to German "heavy metal" or at least what I call heavy metal (Oomph!). I will give her this link as a treat - then hide.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:43 pm

I can't speak to Schlager but Muzak is what a lot of elevator music is -- it's actually various mixes of music that the Muzak company claims will increase people's willingness to buy, or their happines and cooperativeness, or whatever. It's still in business and here's their web site:
http://www.muzak.com/

One of the strangest evenings of my life was spent with a Danish-Italian immigrant family in Manchester, England who had a great fondness for the used Muzak system they had somehow acquired. (The apple-stuffed chicken made up for it, though. 8) )
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:01 am

A fabulous article on Muzak:

The Soundtrack of Your Life
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:01 pm

According to another post I should PM Jt to blow off some steam ;-) and I like to blow off some!
I don't know what it is lately, but this week I lost for the second time in a short period a fic I was working on. I finally got the tone, but then I decided that the scene worked better in chapter 3. So I cut (and was ready to paste) when I was interupted by RL. Back I started quickly with chapter 2, renamed it and not until I saved the new chapter two I realized I forgot to paste the old scene on a new page. :banghead:
I was actually very proud of the scene which is now lost (where is a crying smilie when you need one?).
Only relief: chapter two is slowly growing into shape. Back to the mines.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:52 pm

Did you try pasting it into a new document? It might still be there if your computer hasn't restarted.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:33 am

Alelou wrote:Did you try pasting it into a new document? It might still be there if your computer hasn't restarted.
Now you're telling me! ;-) I already restarted my computer. :( (I am too distracted these days... that's my problem.)
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:44 pm

Welcome to my world. :roll:

It's called trying to do ten things at once that take 36 hours to do, but only having a 24 hour day to do them in. Joy. ;-)
Image sig by chrisis1033

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:19 pm

Just uploaded chapter 3 of 'Convicted'

>whew<

It was a long time coming, but I hope it was worth the wait.

In my defense, It was 12600 words long, which if you divide by the 75 days since my last chapter was uploaded is a whopping... uh... umm... 168 words per day?

Huh. It sure SEEMED like more than that...

Anyway, I hope you like it, and I'll try to get chapter 4 out quicker.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:07 pm

OMG I actually got a SHORT story written. Less than seven pages. I just sent it in. It's actually about V'Lar. So it should go to the Library of P'Jem. I was inspired by the "Arranged marriages" thread. Seem's to me a lot of new light could be shed on the subject if a story was written about a woman having blood fever being rejected by a groom. And since some people have suggested that the rejector shouldn't have to fight it out, or have a champion do it, or anything at all but say no, I had to explore it. There was also the idea to have a Priestess, or in this case a priest on hand to take over... I got to thinking about Spock and how by the time T'Pring said no it was too late, his mind and body couldn't accept anyone else. So I explored, how that could happen, why in certain circumstances it would happen, and what was the answer. Hope it at least makes people think, if not like it.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:11 pm

Sounds interesting. 8)
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:59 pm

My chapter 5 of May We Together is in its final beta, so soon... I'm thinking of revising *Rights* and there will be a pt2 for T'Lan to have her say. I wonder how many people would freak (in any way they want good or bad) if it ends up in 7 years Sev wins her over????
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:06 pm

I've taken on a rather colossal (or tremediously stupid, depends on how one looks at it) project. Well that and I'm gonna keep boring the hell outta y'all with new chapters for "Words" as soon as the new word prompt challenge is out (*hint*hint* ;) ) A new follow-up for "Christening" is on the way, too :mrgreen: (My muse must be on 'roids)

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:11 pm

I've got a couple of stories in the works - the Family Secrets prequel is going to have to sit for a bit since my intended beta is going to Vegas and will be rubbing shoulders with various cast members.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”