"Judge not, lest ye be Judged."

Give the jerk the middle finger salute.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Pegmumm
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Status and Support

Postby Pegmumm » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:56 am

Unfortunately there is something about the anonymity of the internet that brings out the inner psychotic bastard/bitch in all of us. Don't let some pimply faced sophomore in high school with no life or social skills cheat you out of the joy you have in sharing your work.
You're better than that... and you deserve better.
Some people live to be cruel.
I won't go into what I think should happen to them.
Peg

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Postby Alelou » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:58 am

Yes, clearly whoever wrote that is a jerk. Don't feed reward the bully by letting him or her get to you.

Although if you can complain to whoever at Deviant Art, maybe you can get that person kicked off? That kind of feedback certainly merits a report.

(Maybe whoever it is just really was attracted to the "Deviant" in the site title...)
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

pdsldl
Captain
Captain

Postby pdsldl » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:12 am

Wow lady rainbow somebody was having a bad day and decided to screw yours up as well. Don't let them win or make you feel bad because they are trying to make themselves feel better.
Always Follow Your Heart

http://psdunc.wordpress.com/

Dinah
Commander
Commander

Postby Dinah » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:35 am

Opening yourself to criticism is certainly the downside of doing anything creative. I guess the best thing you can do is consider the source. My guess is that your critic is one very unhappy person who believes in spreading the misery around. He would probably give Michaelangelo's David a bad review. It's hard to disregard such rudeness, but it's for the best. There have been so many times over the past couple of years when I was ready to quit, but then someone would give one of my stories a positive review. That's what I want to focus on: the positive reviews or the reviews which offer constructive criticism. If you quit because of this jerk or jerks, you let them win. There are a lot of us here -- and at ff.net -- who will be the losers. I would hate to see that happen. Just flip the bastards the finger, :raspberry: give them a piece of your mind, :bitch: then erase them from your personal universe.

:hug:

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:40 am

THANK YOU SO MUCH, GUYS! I do appreciate the support you're all giving me. You rock. :hug: :loveeyes:

Usually I'm a lot more thick-skinned and able to shrug off comments like that. But when you're constantly in pain, it does tend to wear you down. (In the middle of a rheumatoid arthritis/fibromyalgia flare).

And Silverbullet, your post reminded me of the Latin saying, "Non te illegitimi te carebundum." Which means the same as "Don't let the bastards get you down." :bitch:

Thanks again! :hug:
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:43 am

This is a fun collection of bad reviews of classic books on Amazon.com. Some of the books that got scathing reviews include Jane Eyre, The Grapes of Wrath, The Diary of Anne Frank and Charlotte's Web.

Amazon Reviews of Classics

So, you are in good company, Annie. ;)
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

crystalswolf
Commander
Commander

Postby crystalswolf » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:50 am

LR, don't let the terrorists win. Writing and drawing are ways for you to express yourself and why deprive the world of who you are because nitwits have to spread their nitwittery. Don't let them change you or your art and don't let their negative voices drown out the positive voices. :hug:

Honeybee, that was an awesome link. "Damn you writers and your overactive vocabularies!" :guffaw:

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:24 am

Lady Rainbow, allow me to add my voice to the chorus of support. You KNOW the kind of person you are dealing with by the quality of the comment, so shrug it off and realize its not really about you or your work. (And I would bet money that whoever left that comment couldn't draw an inkblot with a leaky pen!)
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:34 am

honeybee wrote:This is a fun collection of bad reviews of classic books on Amazon.com. Some of the books that got scathing reviews include Jane Eyre, The Grapes of Wrath, The Diary of Anne Frank and Charlotte's Web.

Amazon Reviews of Classics

So, you are in good company, Annie. ;)

Oh thank you. That was too funny. I have tears rolling down my face from laughing so hard.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:40 am

The Charlotte's Web review:

Absolutely pointless book to read. I felt no feelings towards any of the characters. I really didn't care that Wilbur won first prize. And how in the world does a pig and a spider become friends? It's beyond me. The back of a cereal box has more excitement than this book. I was forced to read it at least five times and have found it grueling. Even as a child I found the plot very far-fetched. It is because of this horrid book that I eat sausage every morning and tell my dad to kill every spider I see. It is a traumatic, coma-enducing story that has changed my life forever. In conclusion I feel no one should be put through such torture and this book should be banned from every school, library, and bookstore in the Milky Way.

:guffaw:

Well, you can't say this reviewer doesn't know how to express herself. Yikes!
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

pdsldl
Captain
Captain

Postby pdsldl » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:26 am

justTripn wrote:The Charlotte's Web review:

Absolutely pointless book to read. I felt no feelings towards any of the characters. I really didn't care that Wilbur won first prize. And how in the world does a pig and a spider become friends? It's beyond me. The back of a cereal box has more excitement than this book. I was forced to read it at least five times and have found it grueling. Even as a child I found the plot very far-fetched. It is because of this horrid book that I eat sausage every morning and tell my dad to kill every spider I see. It is a traumatic, coma-enducing story that has changed my life forever. In conclusion I feel no one should be put through such torture and this book should be banned from every school, library, and bookstore in the Milky Way.

:guffaw:

Well, you can't say this reviewer doesn't know how to express herself. Yikes!

Okay this was my big laugh of the day. Whoever wrote this must have missed most of the children's books most of the rest of the world read. Isn't that the point of them to spark a child's imagination. Talk about clueless.
Always Follow Your Heart

http://psdunc.wordpress.com/

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:55 am

I am late to join the discussion, but I also want to add my support for LR. This is clearly a review of some one having a bad day and taking it out some else. And you are in good company: ;-) great painters like Vincent van Gogh were told "you paint like a child, the colours were too bright and too unrealistic" or "you can't paint" and Rembrandts use of light was crititized as strange. They had no clue were they were talking about, as did the person who commented on your work, LR.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:26 am

I'm late, due to finals. I just wanted to say, LR, that I understand. It's one thing if what you're on the receiving end of is actually constructive while politely-phrased. Personally I don't mind that a bit, and I bet you don't, either.

Many of us have gotten our share of non-constructive, crunked-up comments left for us. All I can say is I support you, and I hope you feel better about it all soon. :hug:
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:49 am

ROTFL!!! Thanks for these reviews!! :guffaw: This one's my fave:

"This book is 3 words over and over again: MY LIFE IS BAD. 500 pages and that's all it says. It's exactly the same as any other book about a poor family with an irresponsible father and a child who manages to be alright (Angela's Ashes, Black Boy, Riding in Cars With Boys) the only difference is - THIS ONE IS FICTION. Don't waste your time, money, or your sympathy on the most over praised book ever written."

3 words: MY LIFE IS BAD. That's 4. :vulcan: And THIS ONE IS FICTION. Um...isn't that the point? :dunno: Uh...fiction? :duh:

I needed the reality check. LOL! :hug:
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”