Status and Support

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Aquarius
Site Admin

Re: Status and Support

Postby Aquarius » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:00 am

My bad, WG. Didn't realize you were only looking for cheerleading.

Speaking for myself, when I have trouble with something, I know I appreciate pointers from those experienced with doing it. 8)
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:05 am

And I do appreciate pointers. But it's just that I had thought of it before, I just thought I'd let you know in case you might think of something else. It's good to have cheerleaders in this hobby, just as it is as wonderful to have teachers in this hobby. Both are invaluable.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:19 am

I just judged my department's humor award yesterday - and it was easy. Only one of the entries was at all funny.

As they say, dying is easy, comedy is hard.

But, I do find myself writing humor sometimes to break the tension - the more serious and long a fic, the more there needs to be tension broken.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:30 am

hahahaha
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:02 am

I agree with Dinah, if you try to be funny, it falls flat (I learn this the hard way :lol: ).
I mostly like Vulcan humour: some dry remark that takes the tension away and just twist the sentence a little bit to make it funny.
My advice would be: clear your mind, don't try to be funny, just write it and use you own bland of humour.
BTW, I had the feeling your ex was the mystery man. I am happy for you that things are going well and what I can tell, you have a lot of fun.
Last edited by panyasan on Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Postby Alelou » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:30 am

May I ask why you're even trying to write funny?

I generally find, unless I'm purposely setting out to write a broad parody or satire -- and those by their very nature have a target you're aiming your wit at all the way through -- that any comedy just arises naturally while I'm writing from the situation and the characters' personalities. I never plan for it; it just happens. Once it pops up in a draft I may decide to expand on it -- repetition can build a joke, for example -- but that's about it.

Not everyone is going to find it amusing, anyway, so it's not necessarily something to pin too many hopes on.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:08 pm

Oh I guess I'm just trying to do something different then just drama drama drama. I'm not hoping to succeed just do something different. Turns out I'm not good at not writing drama.

Fics

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:36 pm

I generally find, unless I'm purposely setting out to write a broad parody or satire -- and those by their very nature have a target you're aiming your wit at all the way through -- that any comedy just arises naturally while I'm writing from the situation and the characters' personalities. I never plan for it; it just happens. Once it pops up in a draft I may decide to expand on it -- repetition can build a joke, for example -- but that's about it.

This is kind of how it happens for me as well. In a serious long dramatic story, sometimes the writing just evolves into funny to break the tension. Or something funny just happens and you run with it - like sex, anger, violence, cultural misunderstandings. . .funny is part of life so it just happens if you are trying to create a three dimensional world. I don't think I've ever set out to be funny. When I have, well, it just doesn't work.

Another thing to consider is the "Shakespearean Triad" - I kind of played with this idea in Family Secrets. You've got the Royals, The Lovers and the Clowns - And while comedy and drama can happen for all three of them - I had Archer as the Royal dealing with the big starfleet stuff, TnT as The Lovers and for awhile Malcolm & Hoshi were the clowns. . .of course, R/S evolved far away from being clowns in the story - and there was light hearted TnT stuff when that was going on - but in a big, in-depth story - it's helpful to have different tones running at once. Not that I'm comparing myself to Shakespeare, but if you're going to crib structural ideas from someone, might as well be the greatest writer who ever lived. :lol:

I really admire a writer like Eudora Welty who can do very serious stuff - but then write a wholly humorous short story like "Why I Live at The PO" that has depth.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:57 pm

You know what the crazy thing is it's a one-shot I'm working on. They're much harder than multi-chaps. Oh well I will never give up.

Fics

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:11 pm

Speaking of complex, multi-arc stories - how's B+K coming Aquarius? You teased us all with a great beginning. . .

More stick poking. :poke:

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:11 pm

:poke: :poke: :poke:

The Muse finally came back (I think. It was the Easter Chocolate. :vulcan: ). Working on "Darker than a Shadow"...Some interesting developments here. :badgrin: Both TnT and R/S, and Phlox, Archer and Travis get involved too. but it's still mostly focused on TnT.
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

Asso
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Postby Asso » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:15 pm

Lady Rainbow wrote::poke: :poke: :poke:

The Muse finally came back (I think. It was the Easter Chocolate. :vulcan: ). Working on "Darker than a Shadow"...Some interesting developments here. :badgrin: Both TnT and R/S, and Phlox, Archer and Travis get involved too. but it's still mostly focused on TnT.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:53 am

honeybee wrote:Speaking of complex, multi-arc stories - how's B+K coming Aquarius? You teased us all with a great beginning. . .

More stick poking. :poke:

Thanks for asking!

The laptop incident has set me back a little--but not in a big way. I was working on Chapter 2...but I hated most of it except for the beginning so it was no big loss even though that wasn't backed up yet. The part I DO want to keep is still on an older version on my thumb drive...I just have to find that now.

I have one regular week of classes left, then it's finals, so for now the books get priority. After that, I'll be writing up a storm.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:54 am

Lady Rainbow wrote::poke: :poke: :poke:

Fantastic news!!

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:58 am

I have one regular week of classes left, then it's finals, so for now the books get priority. After that, I'll be writing up a storm.

Awesome - our classes don't end until april 30. But after the last round I've grading, I want to write, write write.

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”