The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

pdsldl
Captain
Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: Going to warp in system?

Postby pdsldl » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:15 pm

I'm sorry Silverbullet but whatever you just said is as bad as trying to figure out timetravel. It wasn't important I was just curious what the problem with in system warp was. Not using it in a story it's just my story seems to be working out more plausible scenarios with some of the plotlines we got so questions keep coming up and I thought some of the more science oriented folks might be able to help.
Always Follow Your Heart

http://psdunc.wordpress.com/

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:38 pm

Elessar can't sue you for anything you take from his ST fanfic. Maybe PARAMOUNT could sue you, but fortunately they won't. This applies to any original character you create in fanfic, by the way. You can't own any of it. Technically, you're infringing the original copyright just writing this stuff, except that you ain't making any money so nobody cares (usually).

But of course in Elessar's case you can always ask permission and give credit. :)
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:42 pm

It feels icky to do something like that. Nope he's safe from me at least.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:45 pm

I'm sure if you asked nicely he'd be flattered, but cutting and pasting isn't wise in anybody's writing. It seldom has the same style.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

pdsldl
Captain
Captain

Postby pdsldl » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:53 pm

Not going to happen here either. I'm sure I've included ideas from others works without knowing it. Something I read sparked something when I'm writing but never in detail that I'm aware of except when I've used actual Enterprise plots and dialogue. Alelou's right the styles wouldn't work together. Not a story idea anyway just curiosity.
Always Follow Your Heart

http://psdunc.wordpress.com/

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:35 am

Sorry. I was just joking about stealing lines from Elessar. A couple of times I've asked him to give me a line of technobabble for some spot in my story and he has. But for his own stories, his technobble is perfect. So perfect it's funny. Check out "Skin Deep."
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:00 am

justTripn wrote:Sorry. I was just joking about stealing lines from Elessar. A couple of times I've asked him to give me a line of technobabble for some spot in my story and he has. But for his own stories, his technobble is perfect. So perfect it's funny. Check out "Skin Deep."

I had to ask Distracted about some of that! :lol:

Anyone who ever has any Treknobabble questions, I'm more than willing to lend a hand :D

You know who became my favorite Trek actor after a comment he made about the science in Trek? Robert Picardo. Every other actor I've heard talk about the Treknobabble has said something like "it's so hard to learn to say because it's completely made up nonsense you know?" which is TOTALLY WRONG! It's very well founded science... the Trek stuff is so good at (most of the time) making their science self-consistent... sorta like string theory, it may not mean anything, but it's totally self consistent. Picardo actually said that what he liked about Trek the first time he saw it was how seriously they take the science, and specifically because he had previously studied medicine, that the medical jargon he used was like... real medical science with just a twist to the point of being able to add things that we can't do today, special procedures or ways of doing things... Like one of my favorite medical marvels on Star Trek... on Voyager when the Viddeons stole Harry Kim's lungs with a transporter device that literally beamed your organs out of your body (which is cool in its own rite), they actually found a way to project holographic lungs into his chest with allllll the little tiny cavities and everything... he had to lay in a holographic projector, but it was cool.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:27 am

That was Neelix who got his lungs stolen. But anyway I always said I aced science and biology thanks to Star Trek, but nobody does Technobabble better than Brent Spinner! Bob Picardo is a close second.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:49 pm

WarpGirl wrote:That was Neelix who got his lungs stolen. But anyway I always said I aced science and biology thanks to Star Trek, but nobody does Technobabble better than Brent Spinner! Bob Picardo is a close second.

Yep, you're right, that was Neelix.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:06 pm

I know that. :-P

Fics

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”