Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Re: Vulcan Eating Habits

Postby Alelou » Mon May 25, 2009 3:00 am

The food coop where I occasionally shop (and often scratch my head in puzzlement) has cocoa nibs in the bulk food aisle. Hmmmmm...

They also have dried goji berries, which I tried because they are supposedly healthy. UGH.'

I like chocolate with cocoa nibs in it, but I can't imagine eating just plain cocoa nibs. But it sounds like the ones you're talking about are also dipped in chocolate?
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon May 25, 2009 3:03 am

Be careful Coco nibs are extremely bitter! Uh oh my Iron Chef knowledge is coming out again. Some people hate them. But the purer the coco the healthier it is.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

pookha
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby pookha » Tue May 26, 2009 5:25 am

spock eats with his hands in city on the edge of forever.

i think the alcohol issue is complicated.
mostly they dont drink and spock yeah lectures bones about it.
but the longe spock was on the ship the more he shifted about some stuff and drinking a fellowship drink seems to be more acceptable as he gets older.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue May 26, 2009 1:29 pm

I always thought that any "lecture" Spock or Bones gave each other was strictly a way to irritate the other, and not meant to be taken seriously. As for eating with your hands, well there are some occasions where it might be called for logically. I haven't seen that episode before, and if I have I was in pre-school. But as a whole I think it's more etiquette than Vulcan. After all, there are more foods that it's considered unacceptable to eat with your hands, than not on our own planet. For example, unless you're going out for Pizza or some type of sandwhich, there aren't many resterants where you would eat with your hands. There are some notable exceptions but they're not as common.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Tue May 26, 2009 1:46 pm

Okay- so it appear that the various Star Trek series contradict each other about the eating with you hands thing and the alcohol thing.

When I talk about T'Pol and those things I go by what was said previously in Enterprise only.

In one of the first eposides, isn't there a scene where she insists on eating a breadstick with a knife and fork?

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue May 26, 2009 2:02 pm

"Broken Bow" actually. Like I said I'm sure Vulcans consider it "bad taste" to eat with their hads on any occasion. But if they went to a planet where the society practiced this, it would be illogical to refuse. But I doubt Vulcans ostrocize each other for it. I mean you know their babies are going to make a mess out of their food at first. And they don't bring dinner service with them on the Kas'Wan. Heck when Tuvok and Tom were stuck in that freaky time and gravity well, Tuvok hunted spiders and used his hands to eat them. When put in a situation where following manners and being a vegetarian is illogical 90% of Vulcans will adapt their behavior in order to survive. And that is only logical. :vulcan:

Fics

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Tue May 26, 2009 2:16 pm

I just watched an documentary about the plane crash in the Andes back in 1979. (a movie was made, too "Alive" with Etan Hawke) A soccer team from Uraguay was going to Chile for a soccer tournament - plane crashed - they were stranded for 60+ days - they had to resort to cannibalism in order to survive - therefore breaking just about every cultural/moral taboo.

After I typed that I have no idea what my point was.......except that maybe you have to break some taboos to survive/adapt. Not sure I'd want to eat anyone though..........

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue May 26, 2009 2:23 pm

Yeah well I think a Vulcan would draw the line there. And although the example is extreme it kind of backs up my point.

Fics

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Tue May 26, 2009 3:25 pm

Not sure about chewing up your neighbor. In the middle ages there was a name for human flesh. It was called "Long PIg" so, while very rare it was not unknown.

While I have read about Cannibals I have never read any verificatiion of Cannibals. Just myth.

Imagine your neighbor climbing the fence with a knife and fork in hand and a gleam in the eye.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue May 26, 2009 3:28 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: No comment!

Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Tue May 26, 2009 4:46 pm

Mmm, I was pretty sure that the human equivalent of Mad Cow Disease (Jacob Creutzfeld Disease or whatever it is) originated on a Pacific island where eating the brains of your defeated enemy was one way of appropriating their strength to yourself. Maybe that's a gigantic urban myth?

But the cannibalism from those survivors in the plane crash wasn't a myth, surely -- why would anyone would make a detail like that up?

I've always thought the Eucharist has slightly cannibalistic undertones, not that it bothers me. I think there's something about the act of eating any food while remembering someone that feels like a very positive affirmation that life goes on, both in the obvious sense and something more spiritual or perhaps even simply metaphorical in the sense that everything on the planet gets recycled into everything else. I remember feeling very ceremonial about eating something quietly by myself after my favorite great aunt died (and that was before I'd become a Christian and begun to understand what the deal was with communion). And I thought the 'truest' scene in True Blood last summer was the way the heroine sat down and ate her grandma's cake after her death.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Tue May 26, 2009 9:28 pm

Alelou wrote:But the cannibalism from those survivors in the plane crash wasn't a myth, surely -- why would anyone would make a detail like that up?

That' a fact! I looked up the documentary summary just now. They were in the Andes without food for 72 days - nothing left to eat after just a couple of days, so they had to resport to eating the flesh of their dead/frozen friends. It was a big deal when this happened in 1972, and the way one of the survivors put it, it was a type of communion - they saw their friend's as having sacrificed their bodies so they could live. They were very reverent about it.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Thu May 28, 2009 10:21 pm

Alelou wrote:
evcake wrote:Read the one where T'Pol spreads chocolate sauce all over Trip? Now, who wrote that? Sue maybe?

I think I missed that one, too. Dang, but you're the one who remembers all the fics.

I suppose I could try to google "chocolate sauce"+"Trip"+"T'Pol." Actually, I only just realized I can use my google dashboard to do a search for specific terms on a specific web page, so now I can hunt for post-eps on Trip T'Poler's title page and make sure I'm not accidentally copying anybody. Unfortunately, finding a good one in the same spot I was going to put a missing scene kinda took the wind out of my sails, so maybe I shouldn't look....but luffing sails are good right now because I really need to focus on some RL projects, including the parents' fiftieth anniversary video. When you've been married for fifty years, most of the photographs documenting your life together do not exist in digital form, and scanning is a royal pain in the behunkus.

Found it! Unspoken by Allison Dobell
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu May 28, 2009 10:28 pm

One of these days I'm going to have a fic with Chocolate Covered Strawberries, and a bottle of Pink Champange. :lol: I'll probably have to make it EXTREMELY AU to keep the guys from killing me for making Trip into Cary Grant. But hey Cary Grant is what every man should aspire too.

Fics

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Fri May 29, 2009 2:07 am

Cary Grant was outrageously Handsome, Dashing, Urbane, etc. etc.

I would never in a million years thiink I could even aspire to be than a fellow human male.

Tony Currtis tried and he wound up loking like a complete Ass.

Nope Grant was one of a kind even by hollywood standards. Hell, he looked great in to his 70's.

Most men don't age they shrival. Grant aged so well.

I will settle for NOT looking like Bonzo.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”