The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Why end the bond?

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:06 pm

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:
WarpGirl wrote:And yes it is possible to sever a mating bond if both parties wish it. it's called p'pil'lay. But this is nearly unheard of.

While I've always believed severing a mating bond was possible, I've never heard of the term "p'pil'lay". Where is that from? Fanfic? Novels? I know it's not in canon. Googling I've now seen it in online Vulcan dictionaries, but where is it from originally?

I have no idea. They didn't use the word in "Amok Time" when Spock rejected T'Pring. I just used the LVD.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:37 pm

The various Vulcan dictionaries out there also have words for some other very interesting things that I didn't expect, which I discovered through the course of my own research. I was at once disturbed and highly amused. :lol:
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

michelle
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby michelle » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:39 pm

Aikiweezie wrote:Has is been established by the Star Trek gods that Spock was the FIRST Human/Vulcan offspring? I nexer heard that before.

I Just wanted to add my proof that Spock was not the first human/vulcan hybrid.

TOS had an animated series come out, with an episode were Spock goes back in time to save himself from being killed. He goes and stays at his childhood home with Sarek and family.

While he's talking to his younger self at some point he says "There are members of my family with human blood and it's not lethal"... Or something like that. I only watched it once quite some time ago. Young Spock didnt bat an eye lid at the mention there were others like him. So I'm guessing he's always known that although there's not many like him, there are some.

And I'm going to say that TnT's kids are some of them.

pdsldl
Captain
Captain
Show On Map: No

Postby pdsldl » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:30 pm

I tend to agree that Spock couldn't be the first hybrid. The Vulcans had been cruising around the galaxy for more than a century and not all Vulcans followed the strict doctrine (Kov, Tolaris, and others on their ship, etc...) were open to new ideas and experimentation. And someone had to have entered Pon Farr far away from home and resolved it with whomever was available. I find it hard to believe there wasn't at least a little mixing it up with other species somewhere out there, but not many many know about it with all that Vulcan secrecy and denial.
Always Follow Your Heart

http://psdunc.wordpress.com/

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:35 pm

pdsldl wrote: ...And someone had to have entered Pon Farr far away from home and resolved it with whomever was available...

But... any thought to take the pill? 8)
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Navigator
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Navigator » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:20 am

...And someone had to have entered Pon Farr far away from home and resolved it with whomever was available...

Heck, if they showed up during Mardi Gras no one would even notice them. They could just pass themselves off as Info Systems people "from up north". As long as they recognized the mating call of the LSU co-ed, "Lordy, I am soooo DRUNK!", things would go fine.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:20 pm

Asso wrote:
pdsldl wrote: ...And someone had to have entered Pon Farr far away from home and resolved it with whomever was available...

But... any thought to take the pill? 8)

Moreover, it seems to take some genetic tinkering to have a viable human/Vulcan child, so it stands to reason this would be true for most species. Unless there are other species very similar to Vulcans. (Obviously, Romulans.) I think the TNG episode "Who Watches the Watchers" had a 'proto-Vulcan' people. So perhaps there are Vulcanoid species with which Vulcans could easily have children. But with most species I don't think it would be a case of, "Surprise! She's pregnant!"

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:51 pm

Navigator wrote:
...And someone had to have entered Pon Farr far away from home and resolved it with whomever was available...

Heck, if they showed up during Mardi Gras no one would even notice them. They could just pass themselves off as Info Systems people "from up north". As long as they recognized the mating call of the LSU co-ed, "Lordy, I am soooo DRUNK!", things would go fine.

lol, except that from what we know of Pon Farr, it would probably end in a rape!
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

pdsldl
Captain
Captain

Postby pdsldl » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:15 pm

Genetic manipulation or not it seems nature always wins out somehow and who's to say other races didn't figure out how to combine Vulcan and their own DNA. It's not like the Vulcans were ever going to publicize the facts.

I also think that had TnT had babies after Elizabeth and Terra Prime uproar they would have kept it quiet for the kids safety.
Always Follow Your Heart

http://psdunc.wordpress.com/

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:18 pm

pdsldl wrote:I also think that had TnT had babies after Elizabeth and Terra Prime uproar they would have kept it quiet for the kids safety.

Useless to say I agree totally with you. :lol:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:20 pm

I've always thought that Trip and T'Pol would raise any children on Vulcan and not let anyone from Earth or Starfleet find out they were indeed part human. Their human heritage would be a closely guarded secret, and I doubt Trip would encourage them to join Starfleet. I'm not saying they wouldn't join the Vulcan fleet or not be aware of their dual heritage, but I'd bet they'd be raised as Vulcans. Only allowing their human side to have a place in their private family lives.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:45 pm

WarpGirl wrote:I've always thought that Trip and T'Pol would raise any children on Vulcan and not let anyone from Earth or Starfleet find out they were indeed part human. Their human heritage would be a closely guarded secret, and I doubt Trip would encourage them to join Starfleet. I'm not saying they wouldn't join the Vulcan fleet or not be aware of their dual heritage, but I'd bet they'd be raised as Vulcans. Only allowing their human side to have a place in their private family lives.

Doubtlessly,but I also think Trip should have disappeared: TerraPrimers and their cut-throat acolytes were waiting in ambush.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:31 am

Asso wrote:
WarpGirl wrote:I've always thought that Trip and T'Pol would raise any children on Vulcan and not let anyone from Earth or Starfleet find out they were indeed part human. Their human heritage would be a closely guarded secret, and I doubt Trip would encourage them to join Starfleet. I'm not saying they wouldn't join the Vulcan fleet or not be aware of their dual heritage, but I'd bet they'd be raised as Vulcans. Only allowing their human side to have a place in their private family lives.

Doubtlessly,but I also think Trip should have disappeared: TerraPrimers and their cut-throat acolytes were waiting in ambush.

They could also just very well lose their support and dissolve like lots of radical groups (Branch Davidians) do.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:05 am

That works, assuming they come out looking just like T'Pol. What if they don't get their mother's ears?
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:20 am

Elessar wrote:
Asso wrote:

They could also just very well lose their support and dissolve like lots of radical groups (Branch Davidians) do.

That's possible, but if we have to look at the history of many radical groups on Earth, it sounds unlikely.
And secrecy and difficulties reinforce often them. History teaches.

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”