evcake
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: Pictures of pets

Postby evcake » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:01 am

:( Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty, JK. :(
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:02 am

Here's the Zoid again:

This means "Get up and feed me, slacker."
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:17 am

My kitty is getting so senile :( . He peed in my room again, in my closet. I get the impression he knows its wrong b/c when I see him walking away from it and he makes eye contact with me, he jaunts out of the room like he's 10 yrs younger. But then again he keeps frakking doing it! :?
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:31 pm

Elessar wrote:My kitty is getting so senile :( . He peed in my room again, in my closet. I get the impression he knows its wrong b/c when I see him walking away from it and he makes eye contact with me, he jaunts out of the room like he's 10 yrs younger. But then again he keeps frakking doing it! :?

Have you had him checked for bladder/kidney issues? Also are you sure it's out-of-box urination, or is it territorial spraying? 'Cause they do spray even when they are fixed. I've dealt with both issues and it can be kind of tricky to correct, but the first steps are determining if it's medical as they'll often pee out of the box to get your attention because they don't know any other way to tell you something's wrong, or if he's spraying, then sometimes it's just a matter of finding out what's upsetting him and/or finding a way to redirect those territorial feelings. Sometimes products like Feliway and Rescue Remedy can help with that.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:32 pm

Beautiful kitty Jadziakathryn. Thank you for posting that lovely tribute. :(
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:11 am

Your beloved kitty looks very beautiful, JK. I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:10 pm

Jadzia I'm so sorry about your Kitty . :(

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:28 pm

Reanok wrote:Jadzia I'm so sorry about your Kitty . :(

So am I. :(
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:48 pm

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
ImageImage

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:14 pm

Aquarius wrote:
Elessar wrote:My kitty is getting so senile :( . He peed in my room again, in my closet. I get the impression he knows its wrong b/c when I see him walking away from it and he makes eye contact with me, he jaunts out of the room like he's 10 yrs younger. But then again he keeps frakking doing it! :?

Have you had him checked for bladder/kidney issues? Also are you sure it's out-of-box urination, or is it territorial spraying? 'Cause they do spray even when they are fixed. I've dealt with both issues and it can be kind of tricky to correct, but the first steps are determining if it's medical as they'll often pee out of the box to get your attention because they don't know any other way to tell you something's wrong, or if he's spraying, then sometimes it's just a matter of finding out what's upsetting him and/or finding a way to redirect those territorial feelings. Sometimes products like Feliway and Rescue Remedy can help with that.

Well, he doesn't spray in my room, but he has occasionally sprayed in my mom's bathroom. He isn't a catbox cat, he just goes outside. He was a stray we adopted many years ago, and he wouldn't use a box when we tried to get him one.

In the past, he has had bladder issues. He had a UT infection a few times, but he's on special food to prevent it now. When he had that going on though, he would pee in the bathroom or something and there'd be blood in it so we could tell. But... I guess... he isn't going on a tile surface anymore, he's going on carpet, so if there were blood in it, there'd be no way of us knowing. But the bladder issues are control issues right? Like it just comes out when he's in an inconvenient place? That's not what's happening, there's been times when he is outside and he comes in and I literally watch him to see what he's doing, and he'll go straight to a specific spot and pee. I stop him right away of course! I've even been pissed on in the process! lol. But it's very deliberate. I'll let him out b/c he's acting funny like he has to go. He sits in front of the door for 30 minutes, so I let him back in, and he pees IMMEDIATELY.
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:26 pm

Sounds like marking behavior.

The latex under bathroom rugs used to inspire our other cat to mark his territory. I have no idea why, but there was something about the way it smelled.

Aquarius's suggestion of Feliway might help (but it ain't cheap). You have to get rid of the scent he's left with those enzymes or he'll keep going back to it. I also used to put aluminum foil over the spots Fernando was prone to peeing on because that would put him off it. Which sure made for interesting house decor...
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:57 pm

Alelou wrote:Sounds like marking behavior.

The latex under bathroom rugs used to inspire our other cat to mark his territory. I have no idea why, but there was something about the way it smelled.

Aquarius's suggestion of Feliway might help (but it ain't cheap). You have to get rid of the scent he's left with those enzymes or he'll keep going back to it. I also used to put aluminum foil over the spots Fernando was prone to peeing on because that would put him off it. Which sure made for interesting house decor...

hah! Yeah that's not very practical for my room because he's gone in a ton of places. It's really gross. He's gone all over in front of and IN my closet. He's gone on my bed a hundred times. I've even woken up in it. Can you imagine how much I have to love this cat not to have put him out of his misery at 17? He's f'ing King of my Room! :D

I'm gonna look for that other stuff though. That might help.
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:13 am

It's really difficult to stop a cat from peeing (that's not territorial spraying) once it has started...unfortunately. Once the smell is there, they keep returning to that place. They also like things to dig in. Has he been peeing on a soft carpet? You could definitely try putting the foil in the areas where he goes. Cats hate the sound of that. It's probably some combination of physical problems, old age and senility. Are there any new cats in the area that might be upsetting him? Maybe you could try a different type of litter as well. Maybe he'd like something softer, such as the sandy, clumping kind of litter. My kitty never sprayed once in his life until I accidentally left my daughter's car seat outside and another cat sprayed on it. Every time I brought the car seat inside after that, Herschel would start spraying all over. If your cat has had urinary problems in the past, though, I think the tendency for this type of behavior is much more common.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:45 am

Elessar wrote:
In the past, he has had bladder issues. He had a UT infection a few times, but he's on special food to prevent it now. When he had that going on though, he would pee in the bathroom or something and there'd be blood in it so we could tell. But... I guess... he isn't going on a tile surface anymore, he's going on carpet, so if there were blood in it, there'd be no way of us knowing. But the bladder issues are control issues right? Like it just comes out when he's in an inconvenient place?

Not necessarily. Sometimes they do it right in front of you to let you know there's something wrong, that it hurts or whatever. And blood won't always be visible in the urine. I've taken relatively small samples in to the vet before that looked normal but a test strip revealed the presence of blood, so I caught whatever it was early, or the infection was just low grade.

My vet suspects Elvis has I.C. (I'm not even gonna try to spell that out) and basically since I don't have a lot of money for the ultrasounds and scopes, we can't confirm it. So when it acts up we treat it like an infection just in case, but I'm told if it is I.C., it'll just come and go.

And as pointed out, your cat could also be marking. If you have PetSmart stores in your area, go there and get Nature's Miracle formulated just for cat urine, preferably in the orange formula because I've found it to be more effective. You may not be getting all the odor out when you clean it up--humans may not smell it any more, but cats still can--which is why he's returning to the same spot to do it, and this will help that problem.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Return to “Picture Threads”