Randomness

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Re: Randomness

Postby Weeble » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:12 pm

Watched a discussion of a new movie/documentary last night which was incredibly fascinating. It's premise is "was Copernicus wrong?" The movie is called "The Principle". It hasn't been released as of yet. There is a you tube trailer. Kate Mulgrew (VOY- Capt. Janeway) narrates. Be warned, it is based on solid science and re-examines the idea of the earth being the center of the universe. I guess it is causing quite a stir amongst cosmologists.
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Cap'n Frances
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Show On Map: No

Postby Cap'n Frances » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:20 am

It got down to 5 degrees here but now it's up a balmy 30 degrees. We have a freezing rain warning for tonight. Hopefully everything won't be covered by ice when I get up in the morning.

Frances

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:22 am

And this weekend we got snow and sub-zero temperatures... :doubt:

So what better way to spend it than staying indoors? It feels like I've spent the entire weekend installing my new computer, transferring files, connecting external harddrives, updating Windows... etc. I'm still not done.

But I was lucky to get a new computer with Windows 7 instead of the abominable Windows 8, so I had to get it now, even if I hadn't planned for it.

It's also a so-called all-in-one computer, with the computer behind the screen, so it saves me space as well.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:36 pm

Sounds like someone bought an Apple knockoff....buy Apple, they just work.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:33 pm

Puh-leeze! :roll:

Why is it that everytime you mention something about computers, some people just have to say "Get an Apple!" (You're not the only one, Weeble!) I haven't owned a Mac since the early nineties, and that was before PCs adjusted and got a better interface.

No, I don't want a Mac! I don't want to re-learn how things work, which coincidentally is the reason why I didn't want Windows 8. I'm a 45 year-old dog that doesn't want to learn new tricks. I can hardly get adjusted to the smartphone (and it's not an iPhone) my place of work gave me.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:24 am

I am hanging on to my Windows 7 machine. I hope it lasts.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:29 pm

I'm told Windows 8.1 allows you to go back to the desktop. I'm hanging onto this noisy machine for as long as it lasts.

I've worked on both Macs and Windows machines, and I just find Windows cheaper. Also, once you get used to right-clicking, doing without is extremely irritating. (My Dad has a Mac, so I got to experience this firsthand while I was visiting.)
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:03 pm

That makes me feel young KTR, I switched to Mac at age 50, no way I would ever go back to Gates-soft. Guess this old dog learned a new trick. :hatsoff:

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:17 pm

Any of the rest of you out there who need reading glasses get extremely frustrated while cooking. Gotta read recipes (glasses on), must stir, mix, whatever (glasses off). Oops forget about glasses and almost miss target with next ingredient (inevitably a liquid) (forgot glasses off) had to measure ingredient (glasses on)

AAARRGGGHHHH
><((((º> I like my minnows raw...

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:12 pm

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:54 am

Alelou wrote:I've worked on both Macs and Windows machines, and I just find Windows cheaper. Also, once you get used to right-clicking, doing without is extremely irritating. (My Dad has a Mac, so I got to experience this firsthand while I was visiting.)

I may qualify as a Mac fanboy but the first thing I do when I get a new Mac is throw the mouse away (if it came with one) and hook up a three+ button mouse (right clicking actually does things if the mouse has the buttons). I like the Apple keyboards but the mice have been junk for a while.

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:24 pm

The first thing I do when I buy a new computer is install linux. I get the stability of apple without paying apple prices. The thing that causes me to grit my teeth is I have to pay for microsoft's crap operating system even if I never use it.

On the other hand my wife uses microsoft at work and that's what she wants at home, so her system runs windows. We recently retired her old laptop (which ran microsoft's brand-new vista at the time we bought it but updated to win7 as soon as humanly possible) because we were walking through Target (the store) and saw an Asus laptop on the clearance rack at a really good price. It had modest specs, but what sealed the deal for her was it had windows 7 NOT windows 8. Even my I-like-windows wife won't touch win8!

The old laptop has been given new life as a file server by attaching a USB drive and installing linux.

For those who care, I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 with the cinnamon desktop. I have windows XP running in a virtual machine (virtualbox) that I can fire up when I absolutely must run windows compatible software, which is more and more infrequently. I think the software I use to complete my annual income tax is the only thing that I still haven't found a good open-source replacement for.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:10 pm

Transwarp wrote:...we were walking through Target (the store) and saw an Asus laptop on the clearance rack at a really good price. It had modest specs, but what sealed the deal for her was it had windows 7 NOT windows 8. Even my I-like-windows wife won't touch win8!

Maybe it's an Asus thing because my new computer is also an Asus, with Win7.

Cap'n Frances
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cap'n Frances » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:14 pm

Between work and home, I'm dealing with one desktop computer, three laptops, an iPad, and two cell phones. That collection runs two versions of Windows (XP and 7), two versions of Mac OS X, iOS, the Blackberry OS, and the Palm OS (on a really old phone). It's no wonder I'm easily confused. Maybe I should add Linux for the sake of completeness. :)

Frances

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:11 pm

Return to “General Chat”