Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Show On Map: No

Re: Randomness

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sun May 09, 2010 2:17 pm

Thanks!

It seems the Icelandic volcano is again spewing ash, although it's not as serious as before. I really hope this won't affect my travel plans. So far they have rerouted some trans-Atlantic flights. I can live with that since I have a six hour stop at O'Hare in Chicago. So even if the trip takes longer I still have a good margin.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun May 09, 2010 2:22 pm

I hope you have a nice time in Florida. I have to say that I have yet to experience a good time in that part of the USA though. Nightmarish family vacations have scarred my Katra. However PLEASE POST PICS!!!!!!!!!! You always post the best pics.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Mon May 10, 2010 12:34 pm

JadziaKathryn wrote:Mmm, unhealthy food. It always seems to taste better.

Cooking misadventures are fun with the right people. Junior year in college I tried to make damper and it was burnt on the outside and half-raw on the outside. And yet one of my roommates and I couldn't stop eating it with jam and/or honey, so we joked about how it was addictive like the secret ingredient was crack and... well, maybe you had to be there. My point is, it can be a good time still, I think.

Even with the right people, our "cream of root beer" experiment in college was a Very Bad Thing. :upchuck:

Have a great time, KTR! 8)
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Mon May 10, 2010 2:32 pm

Good Luck Kevin I hope the Icelandic Volcanoes won't cause you any flight problems.I'd love to see a Space Shuttle Launch live.

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Mon May 10, 2010 3:06 pm

Kevin, too bad your "visit" to Chicago will only include a stop-over in O'Hare airport. The international terminal is nice, though.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon May 10, 2010 5:17 pm

Aikiweezie wrote:Kevin, too bad your "visit" to Chicago will only include a stop-over in O'Hare airport. The international terminal is nice, though.

Really!? I've heard that O'Hare is supposed to be one of the worst airports in the world. At any rate I'll probably not spend much time in the international terminal since I'm transferring to Orlando, which ought to be in the domestic terminal.

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Mon May 10, 2010 5:29 pm

Your O'Hare experience will depend entirely on what terminal you wind up in.

It's a big, monster - but the newer terminals are tolerable. The tiny one I always wind up in makes it very difficult to be a vegetarian, I'll tell you that much.

A week from tomorrow I fly to Heathrow - I'm crossing my fingers and hoping I'll get there. I'm flying back from Paris - and hope I won't get stuck.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon May 10, 2010 5:30 pm

I'm a bit of a freak I love airports. Except in Canada I hate Canada.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Mon May 10, 2010 5:47 pm

honeybee wrote:Your O'Hare experience will depend entirely on what terminal you wind up in.

It's a big, monster - but the newer terminals are tolerable. The tiny one I always wind up in makes it very difficult to be a vegetarian, I'll tell you that much.

A week from tomorrow I fly to Heathrow - I'm crossing my fingers and hoping I'll get there. I'm flying back from Paris - and hope I won't get stuck.

Jealous! :mrgreen:

Detroit used to have a reputation for having one of the worst airports, but from what I understand the new Macnamera terminal is nice. I've never been in it; it was built and designed pre-9/11, so from what I understand it's like a big, open shopping mall inside--a security nightmare. So only ticked passengers are even allowed into the terminal at all; the old Smith terminal, anyone could go in, you just had to have a ticket past a certain point to get to the actual gates. The new one makes it impossible to have someone come in and wait with you, and if you are hanging out with someone on a layover, they have to leave the terminal and go to the adjacent hotel bar to meet you for drinks. At least in the old terminal they could come out past the gates, and there were shops and restaurants everyone could visit.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Mon May 10, 2010 5:54 pm

Having done many flight connections in O'Hare, all I can say is that its terrible reputation is at least as much for the notoriously bad weather and related delays as it is for the actual airport. The distances you have to travel from gate to gate can be a pain, too. This time of year, though, and with six hours to spare, it shouldn't be too challenging. Just pack yourself some patience for getting through customs and don't make any bomb or terrorism jokes.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon May 10, 2010 5:55 pm

I loved the airport in Detroit! I went into Gucci and it was so bright and open and airy. I love airports with a lot of light. The one in Detroit is awesome.

Fics

trek_shipper
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Twitter username: ecemommy

Postby trek_shipper » Mon May 10, 2010 7:07 pm

WarpGirl wrote:I'm a bit of a freak I love airports. Except in Canada I hate Canada.

*sniffle sniffle* Why?

Have you ever been to Vancouver's airport? I actually don't mind it. Toronto is a beast to navigate, though.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon May 10, 2010 7:11 pm

I hope I don't get stuck on the way back. I have a stopover at Dulles then, and fly to Copenhagen from there. It's a shorter route, but if any ash clouds are over the Atlantic it can be more difficult to get around it. The Stockholm-Chicago flight can always take the route over Iceland and Greenland.

On more day to go...

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Mon May 10, 2010 7:27 pm

I have been in Airports alllll over the world. Actually 50 years ago they were all pretty nice but now with the Security and lines not so much.

The airport is one thing but Landing at one can be hairy as Hell. Used to was landing in Hong Kong was quite an adventure. The Plane traveled down a river valley amid apartment houses. Pilot had to make sharp right turn and touch down at the same time. Try that at the end of a typhoon. there is one Airport in south America wher the plane just flies right on to the tarmac with out decednding it is a mile high. Take off is the same, just go until the plane runs off the end of the runway and the pane is a mile in the air.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon May 10, 2010 7:41 pm

I like to travel, but I really don't care all that much for travelling, if that makes any sense. :? Where is that Transporter when you need it?

Well-known fantasy artist Frank Frazetta dead.

RIP

Return to “General Chat”