Do you talk more like a Yankee or a Southerner? (US)

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: Do you talk more like a Yankee or a Southerner? (US)

Postby JadziaKathryn » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:39 am

Alelou wrote:
JadziaKathryn wrote:
15% Dixie. Wow! You are a Duke of Yankeedom!
I'm a New Englander born and raised, so the 15% actually surprised me.

You know those long sandwiches piled up with meat and veggies? They're Italians, people, Italians!

Not in Western Mass they ain't. They're subs. You must be Boston-area?
Nope. I'm a Pine Tree State gal.

Mitchell
Commander
Commander

Postby Mitchell » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:21 am

41% Dixie. Barely in Yankeedom.

I find this just a tad odd. :?
Considering I have a pretty even mix, of North Central, an South East PA isms in my daily speakin. :p Comes from being a transplant.

That said. I do know of several Farmers from Lancaster County. An God its hard to beleave they were raised on the right side of the Mason Dixon line.

leslina wrote:My result (no surprise): 15% Dixie. Wow! You are a Duke of Yankeedom!

You're goddamn right. Bronx born and bred baby. Still I have a tendency to adapt my accent according to the region I'm in, but when I'm at the Wawa, they know, oh they know... because it's a HERO dammit, not a... ::shudder:: hoagie... ew. Who came up with that horrid name and how can anyone put something called a--hoagie--in their mouth. :explode:

Sorry. But to those that grew up around the Philly part of the country. Its a Hoagie!
Ive been tryin to get these Ridge runners up here in Northern PA, to stop callin it a Sub.
A Sub is afreakin Ship Damn it. Not a sandewich. 8)
TnT I love em. Very Happy

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:10 am

Yes, ships they resemble, hence the name of the sandwich and the restaurant chain. ;) And if you want to get technical, originally they were known as grinders. :raspberry:

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:32 am

Ah! I forgot -- yes, THAT'S what they call them in Western Mass. So explain THAT etymology! That's a weird one.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:28 pm

HEY! I object! Question 19 (What's a drive through liquor store called?) doesn't have the option "Beer Barn"! :lol:

Seriously, that's what WE call it...

LOL, I got "78% Dixie. Your neck must be a just little rosy!"

I use a lot of variable expressions though. Like it depends on company whether I'll say "Yall" or "you all". I find that I get along a little better out in the boondocks if I slip back into the accent I've picked up. Yet, when I'm talking to parents, professionals, professors, etc... I annunciate better. I don't exactly use southern slang when I'm talking about physics :lol:

A lot of times I'm not even thinking about it. Yesterday I blew a tire on the highway and they sent a trucker out to me to put my spare on (I didn't have a jack or tire wrench) and I found myself slipping back into it talking to the people that came b/c it was just the nature of the situation. I mean the trucker crew were a 50+ yr old husband and wife, you don't get much more redneck than workin' with the 'maw on a truck crew :lol:
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:48 pm

Elessar wrote:HEY! I object! Question 19 (What's a drive through liquor store called?) doesn't have the option "Beer Barn"! :lol:

"Beer Barn?" :lol: We've always called in a "brew thru".

Just last night I was talking with my sister and told her, "My kids are making a ruckus." And she said, "You're talking just like Robert (hubby). Think you've been in the South a little too long." LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:11 am

Lady Rainbow wrote:
Elessar wrote:HEY! I object! Question 19 (What's a drive through liquor store called?) doesn't have the option "Beer Barn"! :lol:

"Beer Barn?" :lol: We've always called in a "brew thru".

Just last night I was talking with my sister and told her, "My kids are making a ruckus." And she said, "You're talking just like Robert (hubby). Think you've been in the South a little too long." LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

I remember how I cringed the first time I heard my mom say "It's fixin to storm outside." :upchuck:

:lol:, I still don't use that one. I don't know, it just doesn't roll off my tongue the way a lot of others do instinctively.
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:19 am

Yeah, my father-in-law uses "fixin' to" all the time. I used to ask, "You're what??" :lol: And he uses "ain't" and "kain't" all the time too. My mother-in-law is from the Midwest and she STILL winces when he uses 'em.
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:46 am

Some of mine were even a little more dixie than the options on there. Like I said, Beer Barn isn't on there. Also we didn't call em "crawdads", we called em "crawdaddies".

I also don't understand the soda/pop one. There's always so much debate over that. When I selected "soda", it said "Northeast and California". EVERYONE I know in Missouri says soda. My mom grew up saying "pop" in Iowa.

They also should have asked "totebag", "knapsack", "backpack", etc. I said backpack when I lived in Arizona but everybody here says "totebag". But I still say "backpack" or often times just "bag", even referring specifically to a backpack.

They might also ask "seabag", "duffel bag", or there's probaly some others. And they prolly should have asked how you pronounce 'prolly' ;)
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:53 am

It is always "soda" or "soda-pop", because it has soda water as its base. It is never "pop" under any circumstance. :P

leslina
Commander
Commander

Postby leslina » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:01 am

Mitchell wrote:Sorry. But to those that grew up around the Philly part of the country. Its a Hoagie! Ive been tryin to get these Ridge runners up here in Northern PA, to stop callin it a Sub. A Sub is afreakin Ship Damn it. Not a sandewich. 8)

Oh, I know all about you Philly folk and your werter and ::shudder:: hoagies. GAWD I hate that word! :faint:

But whom am I to judge. Back in May my students and I were moved into a trailer during renovations in the school building. I explained to the students that because of the AC, the room would get very cold and to please bring a sweatah to class from that day forward. Didn't hear the end of that one until the end of classes.
“Talking is one of the fine arts--the noblest, the most important, the most difficult--and its fluent harmonies may be spoiled by the intrusion of a single harsh note.” ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:11 am

leslina wrote:
Mitchell wrote:Sorry. But to those that grew up around the Philly part of the country. Its a Hoagie! Ive been tryin to get these Ridge runners up here in Northern PA, to stop callin it a Sub. A Sub is afreakin Ship Damn it. Not a sandewich. 8)

Oh, I know all about you Philly folk and your werter and ::shudder:: hoagies. GAWD I hate that word! :faint:

But whom am I to judge. Back in May my students and I were moved into a trailer during renovations in the school building. I explained to the students that because of the AC, the room would get very cold and to please bring a sweatah to class from that day forward. Didn't hear the end of that one until the end of classes.

Off topic! I love firefly! I think your sig line was "You live on a spaceship dear", not "we" :) but there is a fraction of a chance that I'm wrong.
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

leslina
Commander
Commander

Postby leslina » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:37 am

Elessar wrote:Off topic! I love firefly! I think your sig line was "You live on a spaceship dear", not "we" :) but there is a fraction of a chance that I'm wrong.

I'll have to check my disc 4 of Firefly when I have two open eye lids and a few more working brain cells in the morning. It's a favorite exchange of dialogue of mine from any fandom and I quickly looked up a Firefly quote site for the lines. I hate moving. :explode:
“Talking is one of the fine arts--the noblest, the most important, the most difficult--and its fluent harmonies may be spoiled by the intrusion of a single harsh note.” ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:07 am

I took the advanced accent test and got

100% Dixie. Is General Lee your grandfather?!

Not hardly. :)
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:03 am

How can I be a Yankee? Don't they live in New England?
31% Dixie? I've lived most of my life in the Pacific Northwest. We didn't seem to be represented at all.
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Return to “General Chat”