Firefly

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Elessar
Site Owner

Firefly

Postby Elessar » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:14 pm

So I recently became a fan. I finally listened to all the voices (real people, I promise!) telling me to watch it. Then I watched Serenity. Serenity was good... but it let me down. It seemed like the only reason to have Booke off the ship must have had something to do with the actor, like not wanting to be a part of the main cast or something. It was kind of a plot device to provide that massacre scene I suppose, but the compulsion to feel bad for all the kids there who were killed felt manufactured. I was like "Wait, who are these people again?"

I was also pissed because 1. they led up in the end of Firefly to make you believe something definitive would happen with Inara and Malcolm and 2. Same thing with the past and identity of Shephard Booke.

But, all in all, it was an awesome, albeit short-lived series. I see it as kind of in the "Farscape" realm of science fiction. It's kinda out there from the mainstream, which is what made it great, but at the same time made it hard to sell.

The funny thing is ,I had no clue who Joss Whedon was until this. Come to find out he has these two other wildly successful shows, Angel and Buffy. I knew about Buffy but I didn't know he did it.

So anyway, my big question to anyone around here who follows Firefly news obsessively is this. Is there going to be another movie? It did pretty well didn't it?
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Navigator
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Firefly

Postby Navigator » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:05 pm

I don't actively follow the fandom but Serenity holds a warm spot for me. As I understand it, the reason some of it seems abrupt is the script was originally a lot longer that what was shot. I think Whedon was intending a mini series. The reason book was in such a minor role was he didn't want to do it. They had a hard time getting him onboard for the project at all. The movie was not very successful. It opened big because everyone who liked Firefly went to see it, then revenue went downhill really quick. For some reason it did not draw in non-firefly fans. I remember the video sales being really good though and it did well overseas. There was talk of a made for video successor but i think that died.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:34 pm

:(
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thecursor » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:57 pm

Joss Wheadon wrote an in canon story called Those Left Behind about what happened between the movie and the series. Book's departure was actually something Wheadon said he saw coming eventually, though. Basically he found himself doing things, bad things that as a Shepard he couldn't do anymore.

The series will continue in comic book form coming soon.
"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:43 am

thecursor wrote:Joss Wheadon wrote an in canon story called Those Left Behind about what happened between the movie and the series. Book's departure was actually something Wheadon said he saw coming eventually, though. Basically he found himself doing things, bad things that as a Shepard he couldn't do anymore.

The series will continue in comic book form coming soon.

Ah, yeah I could see that reasoning for Booke.
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:12 am

I was a fan of Firefly after I rediscovered it in the early excitement going on over at SCN as news of a movie being made broke over there. The first time I saw it, I didn't think all that much of it, but part of that was that I had no clue what the hell was going on, because Fox decided not to show the episodes in order. After my mom got the box set of the series, we watched it one summer and I thought it was an awesome show. It's unfortunate that it ended so early. :(

Likewise, I found Serenity to be a disappointment. Not only did it retcon a bunch of things, but it had the same kind of cliched action flick feel to it that the series went out of its way to avoid. It had its moments, but I still prefer the series proper to the movie.

And since I can never miss an opportunity to plug my old friends' series, if you liked Firefly and you like Star Trek, I guarantee you that you'll like Avalon. Seriously, an awesome fan series if I ever saw one - don't let the script format scare you, in some ways it's actually easier to get into than an FND script is just because of the quirky humor. The only downer is that, much like Firefly before it, Avalon met her end all too soon, leaving many mysteries unresolved. :? But it's still an awesome ride and well worth the time to read.

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Postby Distracted » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:50 am

I adored the TV series, but it suffered greatly from Mal/Inara deprivation. I didn't like the movie so much, mainly because I was expecting something to FINALLY happen between them and also because
SPOILER!!!:
they killed off Wash. Echoes of *the abomination*. Grrrr.

Anyway, I'd love to see more story. Anybody know anything about Whedon's graphic novel/comic books?
Image sig by chrisis1033

dialee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby dialee » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:55 am

All I know he is that he has a new trilogy out in graphic novel. I found one in Borders Express bookstore but didn't have time to skim it.

SPOILER!!!:
I think I saw Wash so it was set in a time before you know...

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:43 am

Likewise, I found Serenity to be a disappointment. Not only did it retcon a bunch of things, but it had the same kind of cliched action flick feel to it that the series went out of its way to avoid. It had its moments, but I still prefer the series proper to the movie.

That's how I felt, CX. I loved the small, cozy feel to the series. The fact that they were on a tiny ship out in the vast vacuum of space. I can't think of any other space series where, in identifying with the characters, you felt so precarious--like if an engine part died, you were doomed. No one would conveniently fly by and notice and offer to save you.

The movie conformed to all the over-the-top action scene cliches, and therefore I found it less scary because you knew SOMEHOW the heroes would win against impossible odds.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thecursor » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:28 pm

HOLD THE G.D. PHONE! SOMEONE OUT THERE DIDN'T LIKE SERENITY? HERE'S MY RESPONSE TO THAT:

(BTW, if there's anyone out there who can resize that to fit the avatar shape, it's totally mine!)
"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

HopefulRomantic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby HopefulRomantic » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:21 am

thecursor wrote:HOLD THE G.D. PHONE! SOMEONE OUT THERE DIDN'T LIKE SERENITY? HERE'S MY RESPONSE TO THAT:

(BTW, if there's anyone out there who can resize that to fit the avatar shape, it's totally mine!)

Cursor, dude! Almost didn't recognize you in lower case. Image

How's this?

I thought Serenity rocked. 8)

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thecursor » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:38 am

Dis, you've done it again. Behold an avatar to match my delightfully wacky sense of off the cuff insanity.

And the reason you think Serenity rocks is because it does.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:52 am

I'd love to take credit, but your new avatar is HR's labor of love. Nice one, BTW. :D
Image sig by chrisis1033

Return to “General Chat”