Elessar
Site Owner

Re: Daily science stuff

Postby Elessar » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:49 am

blacknblue wrote:
Elessar wrote:
blacknblue wrote:Linux. Use Linux.

I can't... I like games and useful applications :lol:

I challenge you to name on game or useful application that you cannot run on Linux as well or better than you can run it on Vista.

Name one. Just one. I will try to prove you wrong. Almost all games can be run on Linux using Wine or Cedega, and you won't notice any difference in performance. And many, many, many application have a native Linux version now. The few that do not are also able to run on Wine.

Name one. Just one.

Battlefield 1942, Battlefield 2, Battlefield: Vietnam, Battlefield 2142 and probably Battlefield: Bad Company :lol:
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:54 am

blacknblue wrote:So far I have been trying out random Windows programs with no particular rhyme or reason. I have not found anything that does not work as well or better on Wine 1.10 than it does on Vista. But I have not tried anything like Office 2008, or the latest Photoshop, or AutoCAD. I just don't own those. I have tried things like a variety of popular games, and several word processors, and several utilities. I have also tried several music and video players.

Thing is, a lot of it is redundant since the programs I am trying out already have a Linux version. Like Open Office. It has versions out for every OS under the sun already. Same for most of the music players, cd burning software, etc. They already have Linux versions out there. The games work fine of course, but they have been working fine on Wine for a long time already.

Actually, in all honesty, what impedes me from moving to Linux is the fact that, at least as far as I'm aware, learning how to build a Linux distro is takes more time than learning to use Apache, learning to host an FTP by command line, and learning C++ combined.

I'm pretty damn patient, but man, what the hell. Every linux nerd I've ever met is the "I learned it the hard, annoying, time-consuming, painstakingly skull-pounding way, screw off, you learn that way too" type, and not a half-assed worthwhile how-to or tutorial exists that I've ever laid eyes on.

If Wine is an OS you can install without learning to write a TV novela in a programming language, I'll jump, otherwise, I'll keep passin the Linux train on by.
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:55 am

Halo 2... At least not without a hack.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:43 am

Elessar wrote:
Actually, in all honesty, what impedes me from moving to Linux is the fact that, at least as far as I'm aware, learning how to build a Linux distro is takes more time than learning to use Apache, learning to host an FTP by command line, and learning C++ combined.

I'm pretty damn patient, but man, what the hell. Every linux nerd I've ever met is the "I learned it the hard, annoying, time-consuming, painstakingly skull-pounding way, screw off, you learn that way too" type, and not a half-assed worthwhile how-to or tutorial exists that I've ever laid eyes on.

If Wine is an OS you can install without learning to write a TV novela in a programming language, I'll jump, otherwise, I'll keep passin the Linux train on by.

Um... Guy. You are at least ten years behind the times. Nobody has had to build a distro, certainly not a commerical distro, in forever. Go to any of an endless selection of Linux distribution's websites and download a bootable CD. Stick the CD in your drive and reboot your computer. Select the option of booting to your cd drive. The system will boot up to the CD and you will find yourself in a fully functional, preconfigured modern Linux system with all of your hardware automatically recognized and pre-configured.

I recommend Mandriva 2008. It is the one I am currently using on my new laptop. Download the CD. You can find the link HERE:

http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free

Just go with the recommended version. Download the iso file and burn the CD. Stick it in your cd drive and reboot your computer. Then prepare for an eye opening experience.

You will find that you have missed out on at least ten years of open source software development. Not only the OS, but the applications in Linux are a good more more sophisticated and efficient than anything Microsoft puts out.

And in fairness, if yuo are still under the impression that you need to build a distro, you obviously haven't even tried to run any Windows games on Linux in a dog's age. Why not give it a try?
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:31 am

Haha, really? It's that long ago? Jeez. That actually makes me feel kinda old :lol:. Then again, I usually have a longer computer history than people of comparable age because I've been on a computer since I was about 7. Still have my first 1981 Tandy 286 downstairs :lol:

If it's really like another OS install, I'll have to check it out. Maybe all my friends have just been linux nerds who choose to build the distro. So, why did you say you recommend Mandriva and not like you were sayin before, Wine?
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Postby Alelou » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:16 am

I'm listening to all this with vague horror but also curiosity. Can you have two operating systems installed on your computer at once? And if so, how the heck do you toggle between them?
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

dark_rain
Site Admin

Postby dark_rain » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:40 pm

Alelou wrote:I'm listening to all this with vague horror but also curiosity. Can you have two operating systems installed on your computer at once? And if so, how the heck do you toggle between them?

The easyiest way of doing it is with two hard drives. You install Windows on one, and Linux on the other. Most people install windows first. When you go through the linux install process, it will automatically detect and add Windows to a list which it makes when it installs the bootloader (the very first piece of software to run after the white text on black background thing. It then gives you a nice screen where you can choose which OS you would like to start. They usually look a little bit like this:

I shan't go into detail cos I suck at writing howto's but if you're interested then go for it, you've got nothing to lose! There are loads of websites out there that can help you if you get stuck or are unsure.
voo@octane2:~> uname -a
IRIX64 octane2 6.5 07080050 IP30

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:30 pm

Yeah, my old 286 has a bootloader on it called "System Commander" :lol:. That's old stuff.

But that was because it had Windows 3.1/DOS and games didn't run in Windows back then. They ran in DOS, so I learned to use DOS early on.

I actually feel like a big veteran when it comes to the game Nibbles, or as it was later renamed "Snake" or "Snake Eater" or "Number Cruncher", because as it happened, I was just fiddling around in the PC my dad built (this 286), and found QBASIC, and I was like "oooh! What's this?!" and I found Nibbles and Gorilla already on there.

Gorilla didn't pick up as much fame but it's basically the root concept behind games like "Scorched Earth" and "Scorched Earth 3D".
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:42 pm

The thign is, you don't HAVE to install a second operating system. The CD will allow you to boot to a system that operates off the CD-ROM as if it were a second Hrd Drive. That way you can take Linux for a test drive as it were, without changing anything on your current system. If you like it, you can install Linux as a second option on your hard drive. Or you can just continue to use the CD whenever you want to use Linux. A lot of people keep a Linux CD for a backup of they need an emergency boot disk for when their Windows system locks up. An interesting fact is that Windos will NOT read a Linux disk, but a Linux system WILL read a Windows disk. So I can boot my Linux system and read all my Windows files, including all the so-called secured files. Windows security measures are a joke if you have a Liux disk to bypass Windows with.

Wine is not an operating system. Wine (Wine-Is-Not an-Emulator) is a punny name for a program that provides an interface between Linux and whatever Windows program you wish to run. It works astonishing well. Version 1.10 was recently released. It comes prepackaged with Mandriva.

I recommended Mandriva because it is the one I personally use and I have found the hardware recognition to be superior (in my personal experience). Other people might have differing opinions.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Entilzha
Captain
Captain

Postby Entilzha » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:40 pm

First DNA Molecule Made Almost Entirely Of Artificial Parts http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080707091915.htm.
Acidifying Oceans Add Urgency To Carbon Dioxide Cuts http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080703140716.htm.

How does the Wine work? How do you install Windows programs in Linux?
You live for The One, you die for The One.

dark_rain
Site Admin

Postby dark_rain » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:09 pm

Elessar wrote:Yeah, my old 286 has a bootloader on it called "System Commander" :lol:. That's old stuff.

They still bloody make that! :lol: 8)
voo@octane2:~> uname -a
IRIX64 octane2 6.5 07080050 IP30

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:25 pm

I can't believe you have a 286 you still turn on. I took at least three old computers to an electronics recycling day the county held recently. It was a giant electronics graveyard and people were lined up down the block.

Thanks for the Linux tips. I'm not sure I'm ready to go there yet, but it's certainly appealing to think it might be useful as a back-up, especially if this thing gets unstable.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Entilzha
Captain
Captain

Postby Entilzha » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:41 pm

Rare Microorganism That Produces Hydrogen http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080707192643.htm.
Universe Is More Transparent To High-energy Radiation Than Previously Assumed http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080709212745.htm.
Rare 'Star-Making Machine' Found In Distant Universe http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080710142942.htm :shock: wow.
Room Temperature Superconductivity: One Step Closer To Holy Grail Of Physics http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080709144157.htm. It would be electricians dream. Theoretically you could have cables that can be installed like duck tape.

Entilzha
Captain
Captain

Postby Entilzha » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:09 pm

New Generation Of Home Robots Have Gentle Touch http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080710113026.htm. One step closer to Judgment Day 8) .

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:31 pm

Somehow all this should find an own room in fanfic.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Return to “General Chat”