Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Will be on Vacation: PA mountains/NY border

Postby Lady Rainbow » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:04 pm

Leaving Sun for Dubois, PA. Meeting my in-laws there. From what I understand, Alleghany (NY) State Park is only 50 miles from there, and Pittsburgh isn't too far away...I think.

Anyone familiar with this area? :wave:
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Re: Will be on Vacation: PA mountains/NY border

Postby Alelou » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:32 pm

Hope you have the wonderful and relaxing trip you so deserve right now. I bet JT and Mitchell are your best bets for info in that area.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:53 pm

I live in Pittsburgh! Please stop by!!!! I won't bite. I've hosted T'Sara and she survived the visit, even wants to come back. Y2Kelly lives here too! PM me for details. :)
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Mitchell
Commander
Commander

Postby Mitchell » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:33 am

:? In case Yal havent guesses it yet,, Im busy as hell right now. :lol: So Id make for a piss poor host let alone a tour guide.

PA is chuck full of State parks, not to mention Game lands that double as state parks. Pleanty of Hiking possiblities.

If you were leaving in August, Id say head East a bit to Williamsport an Try to catch one of the lil league World Series games.

Theirs of course The Pine Creek Gorge (AKA PA Grand Canyon). In my home county Tioga.
Then in Bradford County, theirs the French Asylum. Located on the banks of the Susquehanna River. :? Place is probably nearly the only reason theirs anyone of French decent at all in this part of PA. It was ment to be a Refuge for thos loyal to the King of France, an suppossedly Marie Antoinette an her Children were going to go there as well. Of course she never made it. :?

:? Sorry I just really dont know all that much about Western PA. 8) Blame my Blind/narrow minded determination to save the Eastern/central PA farm land from Development, at any cost. :lol:
TnT I love em. Very Happy

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:41 am

Well, I am a big fan of milk and other dairy products, so keep at it, Mitchell! :D

Mitchell
Commander
Commander

Postby Mitchell » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:58 am

JadziaKathryn wrote:Well, I am a big fan of milk and other dairy products, so keep at it, Mitchell! :D

Will do! As long as Im kickin. :)

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:50 pm

Interesting history, Mitchell! Fascinating.

Lady Rainbow, I hope you have a good time and that you visit JusTriping! Let me know when you are coming to Milwaukee, or at least Chicago. ANY of you all, let me know when you are in my stomping grounds so you can have a nice in-person visit. And a boat ride on Lake Michigan.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:55 am

Now THAT will definitely have to be a summer trip. Brrrr. 8)
Image sig by chrisis1033

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:07 pm

Oh, a cousin of my mother's (now deceased) used to live in Owego, New York and I have a cousin I just visited last month in Bolivar, New York. Both towns are fairly near the NY/PA border. I don't know the area well, but it is beautiful. I hope your vacation is fun and restful. 8)
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:09 pm

Distracted, the weather in Chicago and Wisconsin is quite warm right now (by my standards, that is :lol:). A bit wet, but the flooding is not right in our area. Come on up!

Mitchell
Commander
Commander

Postby Mitchell » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:06 pm

8) Flooding?! What is this Flooding you speak of?

Oh Yeah that thing that only truely affects those round my parts who [cough] are stupid to [/cough] live off the moutains an hills. :D Sorry Ill Take being Burried in snow over being dround out like a rat any day. :lol:

Ive been To Owego NY Many a times linda. Nice lil Town. Sits right on the Susquehanna River. Its beautiful. 8) Its bout a 60 mile trip from the End of my drive way. :)

Yeah I know Im contradicting myself. 8) :lol: But hay, a place can be beautiful an still be not that all of a realy smart place to live. :wink:

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:17 pm

Hey, Mitchell, didn't know you were so close to some of my shirt tail relatives' stomping grounds! I have been to Owego maybe five or six times in the last twenty years. First time I visited, Helen (my mother's cousin) didn't lock her doors. She lived alone in a spacious Victorian house and served us this great peanut butter pie for desert - forgot what the rest of the dinner was. She had a son who stopped by every week to check up on her. Last time I visited before she died, she was locking her doors, sigh, big city fears had reached out into small town life. Not that Owego was THAT small. But Bolivar is tiny. Just was there three weeks ago visiting a cousin.

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:33 pm

I'm back!!!

Got back to Charlotte late yesterday...spent Sat on a 12 hour road trip to Dubois PA, then Sun.-Tues with the in-laws. Not fun...FIL has health problems and MIL was so uptight about having the kids there...she's of the generation of "seen but not heard" and was always 1)harping on the kids to "get off the furniture", "get off the stairs", "don't do this" and "sit still in your seat." Yeah, try getting 2 autistic kids under 6 to sit still! Doesn't count all the parenting lectures, too.

Anyway, we had a better time in Pittsburgh. Took the kids to the Pittsburg Childrens' Museum and they both had a blast! Also meet [b'justTrip'n[/b] and got the photos to prove it! Got most of the vacation pics over at the Studio, but here's the photos of me and JT.

Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:44 pm

Marvelous photos.

TWO autistic kids under six? Oh, my. God BLESS you. :?
Image sig by chrisis1033

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:43 pm

My report reprinted from the "Happy News" thread:

Well, I met Lady Rainbow and family today!!! Her kids are only 2 and 5 (oh right and one is like minus 5 months :) ), so the activities were kind of low key--go to the park to playground to play in the kiddie fountain and then out for pizza. She has also seen my house and is sworn to secrecy regarding its level of cleanliness.

It was wonderful talking with her about the site and about writing. Your name came up Linda. she really likes your stuff. ;) So do I.

Like Elessar, I am so pleased by the flood of new AND talented writers we've had lately. I don't think I'd be stepping on anyones toes to say, when this site started, it was all about the blind leading the blind. Amateurs with no writing background helping other amateurs with no writing background, learning as we go. We just felt compelled to write and discoverd new possibilities for ourselves. Now, suddenly people like Alelou AND Lady Rainbow have joined us; they write professionally AND yet they apparently like us and our stories!!!! :D I'm thrilled!
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Return to “General Chat”