ST-TNG whining

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Elessar
Site Owner

Re: ST-TNG whining

Postby Elessar » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:06 am

CX wrote:RDM and Braga wrote AGT and Generations at the same time, which pretty much shows how much they could be full of awesome and fail at the same time.

Obviously Braga can fail, but you didn't like Generations? Is this common? Did I miss the memo? Cuz I liked Generations... Is it b/c of Kirk?
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Postby JadziaKathryn » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:10 am

This is common. Very few people like Generations. I've never really understood why, although clearly they should've had someone other than Troi pilot the ship. Even if it's gonna crash.

But hey, I liked Insurrection too, and most people don't like that. Go figure.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:26 pm

I couldn't stand Generations. I didn't mind the Kirk part, but it made the TNG people look really silly in that holodeck commissioning ceremony, and I hate any plot where Guinan has to explain what the hell is going on. I also didn't care for Picard's fantasy, but that's because I was jealous for Crusher. The show ended with a sense of promise there but once they got to the movies, it's like it never happened. Grrrr.

First Contact was my favorite TNG movie. I can't think of any other I actually liked very much. Nemesis was so bad I'd completely forgotten it until my son demanded we rent it and then I thought, oh yeah, I did see this piece of crap. Insurrection had its moments but overall I thought it sucked too.

( :lol: But what do you REALLY think, Alelou...)
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:04 pm

The plot wasn't all that interesting, it wasn't all that well thought out, there was a really horrible continuity error in the beginning, Captain Harriman was made to be an incompetent boob to make Kirk look better, and they had both Kirk and the E-D go out like a bitch, and it was really obvious that the only reason they did it was so they wouldn't have to do Kirk in any future productions, and so they could design a new ship for the TNG movies.

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:08 pm

Alelou wrote:First Contact was my favorite TNG movie. I can't think of any other I actually liked very much.

My favorite part in that movie was when Deanna Troi was drunk and passed out in Riker's presence. She's a hilarious drunk and the look on Will's face was priceless. :lol:
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:28 pm

I liked Nemesis (except for the weird bit where Worf apparently returned to Starfleet after an awfully short diplomatic career without anything resembling an explanation) and then followed a link Rigil posted about the errors and thought, hmmm. Good points.

Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:57 pm

JadziaKathryn wrote:I liked Nemesis (except for the weird bit where Worf apparently returned to Starfleet after an awfully short diplomatic career without anything resembling an explanation) and then followed a link Rigil posted about the errors and thought, hmmm. Good points.

Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.

I always miss the errors in the movies, I don't know how... I've absorbed a crapload of Trek lore and watched every single episodes, but every time someone points something out from the films, it usually hadn't occured to me.

Harriman did appear to be much more of a PR-fairy than a competent captain. Actually, with the way the press was covering the event, the way I looked at it was that maybe Harriman was a product of the times... like that perhaps things had been too calm for the last 10-15 years and people had gotten complacent - even Starfleet - and that the Enterprise-C posting became as much a media event as the launching of a starship with a storied and honored past, one commensurate with a no-bullshit, get-things-done Captain. But they missed that because they hadn't been challenged recently so they appointed a camera-boy.
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:44 pm

I hated how they killed Kirk in GEN :evil: . He deserved a much better fate. And Soran was a pretty weak villain.

The only TNG movie I have liked is First Contact.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

pookha
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby pookha » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:32 am

Elessar wrote:
CX wrote:RDM and Braga wrote AGT and Generations at the same time, which pretty much shows how much they could be full of awesome and fail at the same time.

Obviously Braga can fail, but you didn't like Generations? Is this common? Did I miss the memo? Cuz I liked Generations... Is it b/c of Kirk?

they both had a lot more control over all good things then generations.

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:42 am

I don't like Generations either. It was really stupid that they had to kill Kirk's character by having him falling off a bridge.I have the original Generations movie novel that had him shot in the back by Soran with a phaser that ending is equally bad.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:36 am

Reanok wrote:I don't like Generations either. It was really stupid that they had to kill Kirk's character by having him falling off a bridge.I have the original Generations movie novel that had him shot in the back by Soran with a phaser that ending is equally bad.

Idk, that bridge went FLYING, it didn't just fall. What I think would and should piss a lot of people off is that Picard buried him on some shit planet nobody cares about. What might have relieved a lot of people, and I would have loved to see, is a gi-friggin-gantic state funeral unlike anything the Federation had seen in 200 years.
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:59 am

Presumably such a funeral was held back in the 2280s.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:33 am

JadziaKathryn wrote:Presumably such a funeral was held back in the 2280s.

Ah, true. But having a body and everything should really have caused a commotion.
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:18 am

Elessar wrote:Harriman did appear to be much more of a PR-fairy than a competent captain. Actually, with the way the press was covering the event, the way I looked at it was that maybe Harriman was a product of the times... like that perhaps things had been too calm for the last 10-15 years and people had gotten complacent - even Starfleet - and that the Enterprise-C posting became as much a media event as the launching of a starship with a storied and honored past, one commensurate with a no-bullshit, get-things-done Captain. But they missed that because they hadn't been challenged recently so they appointed a camera-boy.

Uh, no, this is just an example of the hero, in this case Kirk, being made to look better through the incompetence and/or ineptitude of another. How much more dramatic had it been another seasoned captain who had his own ideas how to do things and clashed with Kirk? Of course the situation was contrived from the start because the ship was sent out unfinished and under-staffed.

As for NEM, just thinking about that movie makes me cringe. It's the only one I've never rewatched and never will.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:47 am

The Next Generation took 2 seasons to get going. Enterprise was great right out of the gate. As for the Next Generation, when it was good it was VERY VERY good. And when it was bad it was horrid.

"All Good Things" wears VERY well. I think it will always hold up. Same with "Inner Light." When "All Good Things" aired my husband, was a TV critique so we got an advanced copy without special effects. No phaser blasts, no door swishes, no music, and an off-camera male voice reads all the parts where the computer is speaking. It's a stripped down play, and it's STILL mezmorizing.

IMO, the Next Generation was great without even having really great characters, aside from Picard and Data. Some of the characters were very cardboard. But the Next Gen did sucessuflly pursue some great themes and sci-fi concepts.

I LOVED "Generations." I think it is my favorite. I loved Nemisis. Yes, when start to watch a random Next Gen episode on TV, I am disappointed. It must have something to do with rising TV production values over the past two decades.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Return to “General Chat”