ST-TNG whining

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

blacknblue
Site Admin

Re: ST-TNG whining

Postby blacknblue » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:09 pm

Who Watches the Watchers was actually painful. I winced most of the way through it. A truly dreadful piece of tv tripe.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Postby Reanok » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:33 pm

I liked Family.But I can't stand The Outrageous Okana that was a terrible episode with Tasha Yar.I liked Measure of a Man and Sarek.Also liked The Big Goodbye for the film norish look to the episode.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:38 pm

It was also the first of many malfunctioning holodeck episodes...

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:19 pm

The holodeck was one of the more annoying features of that show IMO. They never really figured out the rules of it. For example in The Big Goodbye, how the heck can a malfunctioning program make REAL people disappear? That makes no sense at all. Why would anyone even USE a device that could malfunction so catastrophically, let alone install it at great expense in a quasi-military vessel?

I didn't mind it when it was used more light-heartedly instead of for situations of mortal peril. Barclay had fun with the holodeck.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:02 pm

The Holodeck was a cool concept, but they weren't consistent about it. I remember the episode with Moriarty, and he'd drawn a pic of Enterprise for Data. Data stormed out (with pic in hand) and showed it to Geordi WHEN THEY WERE OUT OF THE HOLODECK. Wouldn't the pic have dissolved or disappeared once Data and Geordi left the holodeck??

I liked some TNG episodes, like "The Inner Light", "Family" and "Sarek", but others were like :vulcan: One of my favorites was "Data's Day". But didn't Gene Roddenberry say "No conflict" during TNG's first seasons because he felt that by TNG, Humans had evolved beyond that? He thought the 24th century would be more like an utopia?

Unfortunately, lack of conflict doesn't make good stories. :?
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:07 pm

Lady Rainbow wrote:But didn't Gene Roddenberry say "No conflict" during TNG's first seasons because he felt that by TNG, Humans had evolved beyond that? He thought the 24th century would be more like an utopia?

Yes he did! I'm not too fond of Old Gene!

Unfortunately, lack of conflict doesn't make good stories. :?

Exactly! As a result they had to throw aliens into the mix to create conflict. But that could unfortunately be interpreted as racist ("Oh, look at those alien savages that can't get along with us or themselves!").
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:16 pm

Yeah. Remember those really stupid slow aliens:

"Our ship is broken. He's going to fix it."

How did THOSE guys ever break out of a planetary gravitational well on their own in the first place without Geordie's help?

Poor foolish nonhumans.
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:55 pm

The Pakleds boy they were stupid.I liked Data's Day and the Barclay shows on TNG and Voyager.

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:09 pm

Good memory. Wow. Those were them.

Stupid bastards.

|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:13 am

blacknblue wrote:Who Watches the Watchers was actually painful. I winced most of the way through it. A truly dreadful piece of tv tripe.
It's been ages, but I don't recall wincing. Why so bad?

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:25 am

The anti-religious theme of the episode and Picard's anti-religious rants.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:02 am

That, plus the whole atmosphere of the entire episode. The preachy, down-the-nose attitude of the writing.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:58 am

CX wrote:The anti-religious theme of the episode and Picard's anti-religious rants.
Color me surprised. I usually pick up on those and bristle like a porcupine.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:32 pm

I was just talking to someone who hadn't seen any TNG and from that perspective I kept thinkin "Wow, there really WAS some good TNG" but I think that's because I was considering it from the perspective of having seen NONE of it, but in the past, I have held the same opinion that TNG has aged really bad.

For example - All Good Things, is, in my opinion, in the top 3 trek episodes ever made. Maybe the best. And guess what I just found out? It was written and directed by Ronald D. Moore. I knew he was on the staff but I didn't know he exec'd anything THAT great.

I'd have to rewatch them to find the great ones, but I think as Trek evolved, the number of great episodes per season kinda slowly rose. With TNG I would guess it's like 2. With DS9 I'd say more like 8, sometimes more - Season 7 has to have like 18 really AWESOME episodes - and with Enterprise it swung real wide. Probably 2, maybe 3 in season 1, 2-5 in Season 2, I would say 5-7 in Season 3 (towards the end mostly), and somewhere in that range for Season 4. Voyager... IDK. Pretty variable too.

The highlight of TNG for me - Q. Some people hate him, some people love him, I'm with the latter. The episode in which he appeared in DS9 was horrid though. It was a seriously overcooked attempt to transfer his former glory onto DS9. Didn't work.

He was ok in Voyager. His first 1 or 2 episodes were awesome with the whole Janeway crush, but the further they explored the Continuum, the less majestic and mystical it became as they humanized the Q with all these human motives like rebellion and authoritarianism and jealousy and contempt. It was more fun to think of them as a higher being that, while Q was an arrogant douche most of the time, just had a nature and an emotional content we just couldn't comprehend.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:34 pm

RDM and Braga wrote AGT and Generations at the same time, which pretty much shows how much they could be full of awesome and fail at the same time.

Return to “General Chat”