Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Escriba
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: Something Typical

Postby Escriba » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:28 pm

Today we celebrate Saint Thomas festivity here with a fair. It's tradition that a lot of stands in the Old Part sell talos and txistorra (a talo is a pancake? of corn bread and txistorra is a... type of sausage). And also it's tradition to drink wine. A lot of it. I don't drink alcohol, but I usually come back to home stinking of it. Today hasn't been an exception :lol: There is another tradition too: in Donosti they sell tickets to win a big, big pig.

And with this day we began our Christmas Holidays, which consist in these day:

-Tomorrow, December 22th, it's the National Health Day. Why? you may ask. Because tomorrow the great Christmas Lottery is going to happen. The big prize is 3 millions of euros. Since it's very difficult that you win the big prize, almost everybody this day greet each other with a "Well, at least we have health" :lol: It's tradition that family members interchange a share in the lottery ticket they've bought. I'd rather actual money, but no, I just have like ten shares.

-December 24th, Christmas Eve, it's tradition that every child in the Basque Country dresses like a farmer of the 19th century and tries to destroy good citizens ears with very out of tune carols. Like this: http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=EDlOSSbNkLk&feature=related (notice the children are dressed like they will be in December 24th. The first part it's the boy explaining in Basque what's the song about. If you want to know, it's about a son or daughter -the girl with the suitcase- that comes back to his/her parents home and sees them again, and she also sees his/her grandmother and grandfather roasting chestnuts). By the way, what they're trying to sing is this song: http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=7Oje9aK09c8&feature=related (see their clothes? That's because it's December 24th). Since a lot of people go out singing carols (and wanting money for that) we don't open the door to anybody. And when we go to grandma's place for dinner, we use ninja tactics of stealth.

-December 25th, Christmas. Spanish people didn't use to make gifts this day, but globalization is globalization, so a lot of Spanish children have adopted Santa Claus. Basque children don't need that, we're so stup-- errr... special that we have our own Santa Claus: Olentzero. In my family this day we have a sacred tradition: the Annual Game of Trivial Pursuit. After being painfully defeated by the group formed by my two Aunts and sister the last year, I've practiced all these months to win and recover my crown again 8)

-December 31th, New Year's Eve. Nothing remarkable except one thing: in Spain we have the tradition of eating twelve white grapes, one for each stroke of the bell. Yeah, like a competition. There are rules: you don't eat any grape before the strokes begin, you have to eat one grape for each stroke and you have to eat all of them. Obviously, the scene ends up being very funny: Grandma claims in the sixth stroke that she's eaten all the grapes already :wtf: and what usually happens in the middle of the ceremony is that you're focused in your task, but suddenly you look up and see your Aunt with her mouth full of grapes that she's trying desperately to swallow. And then you try to swallow the rest of the grapes and your laughter, and usually you end spilling grape juice :lol:

-January 1st, New Year. Also known as Day of the Hangover :D Traditions, watching the New Year's Concert of Viena (if you're alive and awake :D ) and the Ski jumps from... I don't remember where.

-January 5th, the Day before the Three Wise Men's Day. This is the night where Spanish children can't sleep because the nerves, because in Spain it's tradition to make gifts in January 6th and not December 25th. We still do it in January 6th. At dusk, the Parade with the Floats begin in every Spanish city and town. We aren't an exception :D There are three floats, one for each Wise Man: Melchor, Gaspar and Baltasar. Baltasar looks strangely like one of your neighbors with his face painted with charcoal (bacause obviously race diversity in my town is nonexistent), but you don't notice this little detail when you're a child :D When you're older you think: "Why didn't I make the connection?". The Three Wise Men have bags full of candies that they throw at children (the candies, bot the bags). We used to watch the Parade from my grandparents' house, who live in a first floor and usually we didn't get many candies. I remember the day that my granfather shouted to one of the Kings: "You're such a sissy, can't you throw candies with more strenght?" I remember the Wise Man (Baltasar) looked at us with bloodshot eyes, took a full hand of candies and threw them to us. They ricocheted against the shutters like pellets :lol: We had to hurl ourselves to the ground :D

- January 6th, Day of the Three Wise Men. Traditions: gifts, of course, and eating what we call Roscón the Reyes (French King Cake for you; ours looks like this). Delicious. Of course our cake has trinket :D

And this is all. Oh, yes, just to say that although in out home we put the three, Spanish tradition is to put a Nativity Scene.

"I mean... well, you know what people call men who wear wigs and gowns, don't you?"
"Yes, miss."
"You do?"
"Yes, miss. Lawyers, miss."

The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:42 pm

My wife-in-law (husband's ex) practices the grape thing, but on New Year's Eve. Last time she was at our house for that, she explained that if she was successful her wish for a rich husband would come true that year. (Unfortunately it didn't.)
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:41 am

Thank you, Escriba. That was very interesting. I'm trying to figure out how those kids got 5 stars for that out-of-tune song! But the version by the men is beautiful.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Bookworm
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Bookworm » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:35 am

It was wonderful to read about your traditions Escriba.
Please more of these from everyone. :D

We had our first "Joulu=Christmas" visit yesterday. We went to visit my hubby's father's relatives in his birth town and also took the candles to the grave's in their home town since we can't go there at Christmas eve.

Our Joulu begins at noon 24th of December. Then we listen to the declaration of Christmas peace from Turku that used to be our capital. That tradition has started in 1300, but the text we have now is from 1827. Here is my translation.
" Tomorrow if God allows,
it is the birthday of our Lord and Saviour;
and hereby we declare a common Christmas peace by advising
everyone in due devoutness this feast to celebrate,
as well as quietly and calmly behave,
because if one shall this Christmas peace disturb with some
illigal or indecent behavior,
he shall under aggravating circumstance be sentenced
to that punishment that law imposes for the crime in question.
Lastly we want to wish
every citizen a very joyful Christmas jubilee."

Usually we decorate the Christmash tree in the morning. During the day we have our Christmas porridge and the one that gets the almond hidden in the porridge will have lots of luck next year.
In the afternoon when it starts to get darker we leave to go to the cemetary where we bring candless to the graves of our loved ones and others we might know especially if their close relatives aren't there to bring them candless. This is one of my favorite moments during Christmas eve. The cemetary is full of people quietly walking and lighting candless and it's so magically beautifull with a candles on almost every grave.
After that we have our dinner of special Christmas foods like swede or carrot casserole and ham.
If there are small children in the family Santa will come to bring presents during the afternoon or evening, but usually in families like ours with only adults we exhange gifts without Santa there. Our Santa is named joulupukki and pukki means goat and in the old days our joulupukki was someone dressed like a goat, but the tradition has mixed with other traditions and now we also have that old bearded man, but our Santa doesn't come in secret during the night he rings the doorbell on Christmas eve and gives the presents to children who many times sing a bit to the Santa.

Next morning(25th) we go to Christmas church and the rest of the day is usually spent quietly at home or visiting relatives.
More eating of Christmas food.

26th is very traditional visiting day and we also have a party for friends and relatives. And again more food.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:23 pm

That sounds very well-behaved and respectful (I love the warning!) and also very busy!

I'm not sure what we're doing this year. We don't have terribly set traditions, except that we open one small gift Christmas Eve and a nice Christmas dinner with family. We used to go to midnight mass but I'm afraid we've fallen away from that in recent years. This year we might go since we'll be down in NJ at my stepdaughter's house and she's now attending our old church. I'm not sure I want to go -- there was a nasty political situation in that church when the interim priest decided he wanted to break the rules and run for the job himself, then when he got it after campaigning pretty hard (also against the rules) his partner systematically drove all his supporters away, almost as if he wanted to erase history. Jaime was pissed off at the rule breaking and left early -- I hung on until I was too pissed off at what was happening to those people. So lots of people there are still old friends but it's very weird to see them after all this time, and I can't help feeling that they're like collaborators or something even though I know they simply didn't want to leave their neighborhood church.

Anyway, other than that since we're with my stepdaughter this year that means we'll follow their traditions, which as far as I can tell consists of a nice Christmas Eve dinner and then having the television on all morning even while opening gifts. But the grandchidlren are there, and that's the best part. Little kids make Christmas much more exciting. Since we'll be traveling home after that our Christmas Dinner might consist of McDonald's in a rest area.

We also do a Three Kings Day thing on January 6, but it's fairly minor especially since that is usually a school night around here. But we put hay -- usually Christmas greens in our case since my son is allergic to real hay -- in a basket under my son's bed, and he gets some little present of some kind in there.

Puerto Ricans didn't used to be into Santa Claus -- gifts were either from the Three Kings or from the Baby Jesus. I've never really been into Santa either so I was happy to follow that too, though now that Alejandro is older I'll sometimes label gifts from Santa Something-or-Other that might be a clue because I like to write little puzzles or jokes on the gift tags. That's a family tradition my mother started.
Image.Image

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:12 pm

"Santa" always comes in the night and "brings the presents," which means the presents have to appear under the tree after everyone (but me) goes to bed. And I'm usually wrapping and cleaning till one in the morning. Strangely, I was brought up not believing in Santa because of a very strong prohibition against lying in our church. So my parents told me straight out that there was no Santa and that it was all a pretend game, then we proceeded to have alot of fun with that pretend game. Because of this same prohibition against lying I couldn't bring myself to lie to my first kid about Santa. I told him there was no Santa. He had always been very logical and kind of "scientific" even from very little, so it seemed the right thing to do. He had a very hard time keeping that secret from his friends though, so the next two seemed more babish and willing to believe in magic, so I let them believe in Santa, which they did until like first grade.

The one unusual Christmas tradition handed down for two generations, from me to my kids, was the tradition that on Christmas eve, all the kids slept in one room like a big slumber party. All four sisters took turns trying to stay awake, so that at 7:00 in the morning, or whenever the appointed time that we were allowed to come downstairs, we would all come stampeding down the stairs and not be a minute late. This tradition actually began because one Christmas we had relatives living with us and we all had to sleep in one room anyway.

So my boys heard about this tradition and seemed to take it up spontaneously. There is a remote chance I will find them all in one room this Christmas eve.

Also there is a big family Christmas party (aunts, uncles, cousinns) which was last Saturday. We all get together exchange presents and eat and sing Christmas carols, which we do very well, singing all the parts. This year, people even brought musical instruments: a flute, a french horn, a violin, I forget what all. Mostly the kids, but also some of the adults. I took a video and if I figure how to get it off my phone, I'll show you.l
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:44 pm

That singalong sounds really nice!

Music adds so much to the holiday. I'm really glad we made it to that concert yesterday, even though the trip home on terrible snow-covered roads was harrowing.
Image.Image

Bookworm
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Bookworm » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:10 pm

We also have something at 6th January, but I don't actually know what tradition we are following the western or eastern one. It is not very important here and we don't have any special things for that day. It is called loppiainen, loppu is ending so loppiainen is kind of ending for Christmas time.

My hubby told me once he doesn't want our children, if we ever get to have them, to beleive in santa, because he was so dissapointed when he realised that Santa doesn't bring the presents he is giving on Christmas eve and that he is just someone dressed in a costume. I don't know if I'm able to explain this in english; for me Santa is an abstract thing with many represantations like for examble a number, like there is a thing called number four and you can for examble draw it, even when I was a child Santa wasn't this real one person for me it was a wonderful Christmas play. I knew that the person that came to our home on Christmas eve was an actor in a costume and I didn't really care or think where the presents came. For me it was an exciting part of Christmas to run open the door for santa and sing a song and help him with all the gifts, because he was supposed to be old and tired and couldn't run around the room to hand the presen't for everyone. I don't remember what I was told about Santa, but as my mother too is mathematician maybe my view is from her, but I wouldn't have liked if the adults wouldn't have partisipated in the tradition and pretended that Santa brings the presents and so on. If there has been a time for other kind of thought about Santa I have been so little I don't remember it and propably wouldn't have been able to understand. I know that one of my friends still plays Santa tradition even now when there aren't any Children in the family, and in many little Chirstmas parties that companies or schools or friends have there might be a Santa. I think I would like to have someone in our family dressing up and pretending to be Santa, but I can't see anyone in my hubby's family agreeing to that when there aren't any children.

Some additions. I'm a little sad that I wont be able to go bring candless for my grandparents grave from my father's side since it's too far to drive there as I will be spending Christmas with my hubby's family. But my mother will be near that area, so she promised to visit their grave and light some candless for me. :hug:

Also I forgot one tradition the hunt for the perfect christmas tree since I haven't been able to participate for few years. We have to again buy our Christmas tree from a nearby Christmas tree seller. We live in our capital area and it is forbidden to take christmas trees from forrest's that you don't own yourself. My hubby's parent's own some land on an island and last week my hubby's father and brother went there to get Christmas trees, but they weren't able to find suitable trees since an island isn't the best area for those, they barely found one suitable tree, but not three that would have been needed. I could get one from the farm of my father's family, but it's too far to drive when I don't have any additional holidays this year. When I was a child I spent Christmas with my mothers family in my grandparent's home and we always got our Christmas tree from my uncles place. Sometimes my uncle would take me with him to search for perfect Christmas trees. We had to find several good one's since there were several families and homes and if there was lots of snow we were wading knee deep in snow trying to guess from the trees under the snow which one's would be worth closer look.

I know Christmas trees are very common around the world so what kind of trees and traditions do you have?

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:12 pm

Reading this stuff about a belief in Santa made me giggle at a memory.

When I was little, I had "The Night Before Christmas" memorized. I'd recite it to my mom and my grandparents--anyone who would listen.

When I was about five, my little brain noticed an inconsistency: if Santa comes down the chimney to bring presents, how did he get into our house when we had electric heat--and no fire place??!!

I'll never forget it. My mother was doing dishes when I asked her about this. Without missing a beat she informed me that Scotty beamed him down. 8) :lol: This more than satisfied my young mind and I went back to playing, secure in the knowledge that Santa had a way into our house.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:58 pm

Aquarius wrote:My mother was doing dishes when I asked her about this. Without missing a beat she informed me that Scotty beamed him down. 8) :lol: This more than satisfied my young mind and I went back to playing, secure in the knowledge that Santa had a way into our house.

:lol: :lol: :lol: You were definitely born into your trekkiness!
Image.Image

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:12 pm

Bookworm wrote:I know Christmas trees are very common around the world so what kind of trees and traditions do you have?

My son and I decorated it when he was home from school early in the snowstorm Friday afternoon after we went out Thursday night to get it so we'd be ready. There are tons of Christmas tree farms around here but we tend to end up going to the local garden center at the last minute. It's balsam and it smells so nice. It's a total hodge podge. It has my doll collection from when I was a girl, and you can probably see the New York Giants football and there's also Spiderman swinging from a branch...

I still have a bunch of evergreen branches downed by the storm I need to assemble into a front door decoration. Guess I'd better go get to it. It's so cold out there I had to come in from shoveling just to thaw my fingers.
Image.Image

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:45 pm

I think it's a good thing to renew this one in this night and to add that the "Befana" is in the habit of giving as gifts to the childs (those who're good) stockings full of sweetnesses. And for the naughty childs... coal! :lol:

http://www.triaxiansilk.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=486&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:17 pm

Si, Happy Befana! Also Happy Dia de los tres reyes magus! The Three Kings dropped by earlier today and stowed something under my kid's bed. They were ahead of schedule and didn't even require grass for the camels. :)
Image.Image

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:59 pm

Oh... I know Epiphany - Befana - passed, but... don't you think this is worth? :wink: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZeQHuEBf3A
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Escriba
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Escriba » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:02 pm

This is an important day!

Because Obama is going to be appointed President? Nope :razz: In fact, I can see him weeping because a shadow is going to cast his big day. Today is Donostia Eguna (San Sebastian Day.) San Sebastian is the Patron Saint of the city, but it's also a very special festivity. They celebrate a "tamborrada" (a drum parade) with people wearing uniforms of the final XVIII and the first part of the XIX century. The origin of this day is in the Napoleonic Wars. The city was controlled by the French, until the English "liberated" it, and by "liberate" I mean bombing all the city and killing more people than the French did in all the war. What could people do? They could take revenge on the English or they could throw a party. Obviously they decided to do a party :D

The festivity begins at 12:00 AM of the 20th, with the San Sebastian's March: http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=riCI6sI-EwY&feature=related The video is long and shows all the songs that are going to be played over and over and over again during the entire day. Curious thing, in min. 25 Lorena Bernal appears. And you'll ask: who the hell is Lorena Bernal? Well, here is quite known, besides one of the most famous former Miss Spain, she appeared in "Chuch" and "CSI Las Vegas". And it's really weird when somebody that you've seen on the street like a normal person, later plays a role in American TV. This particular parade is done by the "Gaztelubide" society (or company; I really don't know how to call it. As you know, our society's basis are the groups of friends; well, a further step, is when you make your group of friends official making it a "society", with a place where you do lunch, dinners, parties and such.) Until this year, only men were allowed there, but this year women were allowed too (dressed as "water women"; don't ask.)

The rest of the day, groups formed by different societies and different neighborhoods of the city march along the city. Each one has a different uniform. This day is very important for children too: each achool has its own group with its own uniform and they march playing the drum as everybody else: http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=xw3pNVlmtco&feature=related My cousin's son was extatic for this day to come :D

By the day, this day is tiresome not just because people go from one point to the other playing the drums, but because they're always playing the same seven :censored: songs! (believe me 24 hours listening the same music can drive you nuts.)

"I mean... well, you know what people call men who wear wigs and gowns, don't you?"
"Yes, miss."
"You do?"
"Yes, miss. Lawyers, miss."

The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett

Return to “General Chat”