Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Re: I Know People Here...

Postby CX » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:13 am

I'll never understand this kind of crap.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Postby evcake » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:20 am

On Christmas Eve here in my hometown, a young couple decided to shoot her entire family dead, including two toddlers. Something "about money."
A few years ago a man who was "angry about Isreal" walked into the Jewish Community Center and shot the place up, including several people, not all of whom were Jewish. I assume this was a disappointment to him.
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:41 am

Earlier today, a man walked into an elementary school in Portsmouth, OH and stabbed his wife, a teacher, in an attempt to kill her. He then went home and barricaded himself inside his house. After which he shot himself, which eventually caused his death this evening at the hospital. His wife isn't quite dead yet.

No motive has yet been announced.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:42 am

I was just now, like three hours ago, saying to Lee as we watched Lost (which I otherwise am quite intrigued by) that it really is a terrible idea to constantly bombard the general public with video footage of people getting shot in the chest with arrows and guns and stuff, cause then they go on more rampages than if they didn't watch that shit all day long.

And meanwhile this is happening as I speak. What a screwed up world.

you know people who live in st. louis elessar? hope everyone's okay.
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:59 am

I live about 2 hours away from STL, so yeah, LOTS of people here at my school are from there. I'm sure at least one person on campus knew one of those people killed, but nobody I know. There's just a lot of people around here from there.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:06 pm

Very scary. You don't take it as much to heart until it happens to you or someone you know. I thought my little southern town was safe until last summer when some guy just walked into Victoria's Secret in our local mall and shot his girlfriend dead. The security guards shot him in the parking lot and killed him. This is the mall where my teenager hangs out with her friends. She was THERE when it happened and saw the guards chasing the guy out of the mall. She still goes there and insists that it's safe. I let her because there's no place that's safe anymore.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:17 pm

Yeah, you really worry about your kids and grandkids but there is not much you can do except live your life and hope you don't run into these crazy people. Meditate, I guess, like the Vulcans and go on with your normal routines. :?
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:33 pm

On the other hand, I know an old man who lived several miles out in the country. His little house was situated beside a winding country lane, six or seven miles from the nearest store. He survived on Social Security. Lived alone. Bothered no one. Well liked.

One night someone broke in, beat him half to death, robbed him of what little he had. Then left.

No particular reason. Just felt like it I guess. They didn't get enough money off the old codger to pay for their gas.

A woman that I knew growing up, we used to go to church together where her father was pastor. She and her family were on vacation at a state park in TN. Her children were jumped by a black bear. She beat it away from one of the children, which it dropped to attack her. A nearby off duty cop shot the bear with his sidearm. It left her and ran into the woods. While the cop was checking my friend, the bear circled back, attacked the first child again, killed it and started eating the child.

It made the news headlines at the time pretty heavy. First bear attack in TN in some godawful number of years. But Linda is absolutely right. You can't live your life in fear. No matter how careful you are, you are not going to get out of this life alive.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:11 pm

This one's in Missouri too:

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/six-die-in ... 0000000001

Yes, we had a black guy go nuts and go on a shoot white-people spree, stopping at various fast food restaurants, including a McDonalds I used to frequent. Then a white guy went nuts and went around shooting minorities, including blacks, Indians, and Asians, and Jews. Or maybe it was the other way around, but the two incidents were within 2 weeks of each other and were almost definately related. And the white guy was the son of my husband's dentist; the parents were totally normal.

Each nutcase killed about 8 people.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:13 pm

Oh, and then I went to the Million Mom March! But I will try not to get political here. . .
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:38 pm

--Tecumseh
--King Solomon the Wise

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:07 pm

What is it about the general culture in this country that makes people 'take others along for the ride' when they decide to kill themselves? What makes them think they have the right to spread the pain to those who have nothing to do with them? Whose lives they know nothing about? Is that the legacy they truly want to leave of themselves?

Guess my naivety and frustration are showing here. :| :faint: :roll:
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:20 pm

I remember years ago someone who went to my church had an abusive husband who filed for a divorce and got a restraining was getting ready to take her children to school when he was hiden in the bushes waiting for her to come out of her house shot and killed her in front of her kids and then killed him self. All these people being taken hostage and killing stories this week is really scary.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:01 pm

Like the Eagle's song, In a New York Minute

"One day he crossed some line and he was too much in this world..."

Too much obsession with minute, ultimately unimportant things. Not enough attention to the things that count.
--Tecumseh
--King Solomon the Wise

Return to “General Chat”