Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

justTripn
Consigliere
Show On Map: No

Re: The Happy News thread

Postby justTripn » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:26 am

Chris wrote:
Rigil Kent wrote:Happy News: The NFL season officially begins today with the Indianapolis Colts hosting the New Orleans Saints.

Maybe this year, my beloved Fins won't suck...

Go STEELERS!!!!! :D

Happy news? Well, it's been 8 years that I've been working in childcare and I haven't lost my mind yet. :) That's something, huh?

Does that mean your a Pittsburgher? *Hopeful face*

I am, and so is Y2Kelly!

Ann
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:29 am

Whoopsie. That was supposed to be a PM. So don't feel obligated to tell us. PM me!
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:34 am

:lol: :p
ImageImage

Emberchyld
Commander
Commander

Postby Emberchyld » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:50 pm

According to my skating coach yesterday, I don't suck. :D

And, apparently, I've become the adult skating ambassador of sorts at my home rink-- they never even knew that adults could compete and do all of the cool stuff that we do, and thanks to me being crazy, we'll probably be sending four adults (two of which just started skating!) to an adult skating competition. Yay! Apparently, some grown ladies saw me taking lessons on public ice, asked about it to the rink, and started taking lessons themselves.

My smacking my chin on the ice and bleeding everywhere hasn't deterred anyone, either.

Now, when I do an all-Trek inspired program, I'll start my subversive tactic of trying to assimilate them to our fandom. Mwahaha.
"In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different."
--Coco Chanel

Emberchyld's Livejournal: 45% dance, 45% skating, 5% Trying to convince others to watch Enterprise 5% everything else. You've been warned

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:57 pm

Go trend-setter.
Show us - get film!
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:36 pm

Emberchyld wrote:According to my skating coach yesterday, I don't suck. :D

And, apparently, I've become the adult skating ambassador of sorts at my home rink-- they never even knew that adults could compete and do all of the cool stuff that we do, and thanks to me being crazy, we'll probably be sending four adults (two of which just started skating!) to an adult skating competition. Yay! Apparently, some grown ladies saw me taking lessons on public ice, asked about it to the rink, and started taking lessons themselves.

My smacking my chin on the ice and bleeding everywhere hasn't deterred anyone, either.

Now, when I do an all-Trek inspired program, I'll start my subversive tactic of trying to assimilate them to our fandom. Mwahaha.

w00t!
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:56 pm

Emberchyld wrote:Now, when I do an all-Trek inspired program, I'll start my subversive tactic of trying to assimilate them to our fandom. Mwahaha.

Why don't you wear a TOS miniskirt? ;) I've always thought those would make a nice outfit instead of the more regular figure skating miniskirts.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Chris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Chris » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:06 pm

justTripn wrote:
Chris wrote:
Rigil Kent wrote:Happy News: The NFL season officially begins today with the Indianapolis Colts hosting the New Orleans Saints.

Maybe this year, my beloved Fins won't suck...

Go STEELERS!!!!! :D

Happy news? Well, it's been 8 years that I've been working in childcare and I haven't lost my mind yet. :) That's something, huh?

Does that mean your a Pittsburgher? *Hopeful face*

I am, and so is Y2Kelly!

Ann

I'm from Reading, PA, but I live in VA now. Diehard Steelers fan though. :D

Emberchyld
Commander
Commander

Postby Emberchyld » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:28 pm

Day #2 of not sucking. I'm on a roll and my coach was happy because she was complimented by a public skater on how far I've come since I've started working with her :? (dunno if that was totally a compliment on me... :? ). And I managed to save her other student a lot of stress because I was able to find a loophole to get her into the competition without needing to test. It was a happy day.

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:Why don't you wear a TOS miniskirt? ;) I've always thought those would make a nice outfit instead of the more regular figure skating miniskirts.

Well, it depends on if I can get my coach to agree to a Trek inspired theme next year, but I'm dying to mix Treks and wear the TOS uniform (which looks a lot like a 70's style skating dress) to skate to the DS9 theme or something a bit more obscure off of the soundtracks.

evcake wrote:Go trend-setter.
Show us - get film!

If I continue not sucking, maybe I'll get one of my program run-throughs up on you-tube sometime late october. But that's a big if. And, unlike a real figure skater... my jumps are about four inches off of the ground :?
"In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different."
--Coco Chanel

Emberchyld's Livejournal: 45% dance, 45% skating, 5% Trying to convince others to watch Enterprise 5% everything else. You've been warned

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:21 am

That's way better than me. I just watch my kids skate. When I try it I just end up with a wet butt. :?
Image sig by chrisis1033

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:28 am

LOL

You would laugh yourselves sick if I told you how long it took me to learn how to *roller* skate. Never been on the ice in my life. Never gonna, most likely. Except on a flattened cardboard box or inner tube.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:36 am

:? :? I dunno... like for me the first time I put on ice skates I just went running on the ice as if I'd been doing it my entire life. :? :? Same with rollerblades. I don't do like figure skating though :( (I wish I could but I can't afford it :cry: )
ImageImage

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:41 am

Learning how to ice skate was so easy for me. I took to it like a fish to water. And Figure Skating was fun too. I started out by watching the figure skaters in the middle of the rink practice during public skating hours and try to mimic them. And it worked. I learned how to do backward crossovers before I had my first real lesson.
then I stopped, got old - had kids...
Writing as TrekPyro.

dark_rain
Site Admin

Postby dark_rain » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:59 am

My first time on ice didn't go so well. I slipped over and fractured my left arm. (nearly broke my wrist) Haven't been Since :(

On a lighter note, it looks as our email address might significantly less spam from now on! :D
voo@octane2:~> uname -a
IRIX64 octane2 6.5 07080050 IP30

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:30 pm

Ice skating? Well, I was ok on the double runner skates as a kid, ha, ha. And too much 'water under the bridge' for me to try to go back to skating now. But there is that pair of figure skates lying forlorn at the bottom of all the stuff in a closet... I think they still fit.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Return to “General Chat”