Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Re: The Happy News thread

Postby Alelou » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:07 pm

Hey, I was trying to get it up there for you BEFORE you left -- but then I forgot about it for a couple of hours.

It's hard to get back in the habit of posting. (Not hard to get back in the habit of checking too often for reviews, though. Funny, that.)
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:14 pm

Not sure if it is good news or bad news. I'm currently in a hospital in Jordan, just behind the syrian border. After joining the anti-assad rebels, I got myself a 7.62mm piercing right through the left arm. Good news is,I'll live and keep the arm to rejoin, but the bad news is - the atrocities happening down here are unspeakable. For f***s sake american's tell your government to send an aircraft carrier down here. This genocide cannot be permitted to continue.

Tell your president there's oil down here -that'll get his attention. Please send sldiers, for f***s sake. They slaughter children and women down here...

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:18 pm

What? Is this a joke? You were between jobs so you figured you might as well go fight against a Syrian dictator in another country's brutal civil war?

If true, I hope you heal quickly.

There is no oil -- surely you knew that already, as I assume your chancellor and the rest of the European leadership does, which is no doubt why they're not as excited to lead or join in as they were with Libya. We're not going to go into a thankless situation like Syria alone, that's for certain.
Image.Image

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:51 pm

Alelou wrote:What? Is this a joke? You were between jobs so you figured you might as well go fight against a Syrian dictator in another country's brutal civil war?

No joke. I wasn't between jobs. I quit my last one to go to battle. I'm not goint to sit on my hands while people die in Syria. If all goes well, I'll be out of the field hospital and back in action within a week. Let it be known that I'm deeply disappointed with you americans. You wage war on whoever has enough oil for Dick Cheyney and his Mafiosi to fill their pockets, but when a dictator kills his own people, you just stand on the sidelines and do nothing. If I die, I at least expire with some sort of dignity. I don't die for oil, I'll die for freedom.

You didn't do anything when the Russians killed thousands of east Germans in 1953. You watched - doing nothing - as the East german junta built the wall. You stood by when the Russians slaughterd Hungarians in 1956 and the Czech in1965. You only act when there's oil or other resources to gain. Thanks for nothing, America.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:38 am

Admin note: The above post flagrantly violates board policy regarding the denigration/flaming of groups. Kotik is on probation for past offenses and has already been disciplined with a temporary ban for violating forum rules. This was obviously insufficient. A permanent ban is unfortunately necessary. I am very sorry.
Image sig by chrisis1033

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:31 am

While I disagree with Kotik fairly often I do enjoy having him around. His comments are offensive on a regular basis but I think they are heartfelt and not just an attempt to troll us. Can we have a stay of execution? Is it possible to set up a user to always be moderated? I'll volunteer to be on Kotik Watch and moderate whatever he writes.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:49 am

Thanks for volunteering to babysit, putaro. Unfortunately, I tried what you're suggesting for a week in the attempt to teach him proper forum use, under the assumption that he just didn't realize how he came across to others, and it didn't work. Kotik is a smart man. He's not accidentally losing control. It's just that periodically he chooses to deliberately engage in offensive behavior. Moderating an adult full time should not be necessary. There comes a time when a grown man has to take responsibility for his own behavior, and that time is now. I wish him luck.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:25 pm

We'll miss you, Kotik, though I'm awfully glad *I* haven't been an admin having to deal with you.

Obviously I know very little to nothing about it, but it seems to me that there's a persistent and accelerating trend towards self-destruction evident in your posts, assuming they're true. If that seems at all reasonable to you, please consider getting yourself some help before it's too late.
Image.Image

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Wed May 01, 2013 5:38 pm

Wow. Just, wow.
I too will miss Kotik, but I question his judgement. I'm not sure there ARE any good guys in Syria. I predict if the rebels win, the Syrians will wake up and find they've just traded a secular dictatorship for a religious one.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Thu May 02, 2013 2:08 am

I will miss Kotik too. And I am confused. He was upset that my grandson joined the U.S. Army and was in basic training. But now he goes off to Syria to fight. I wish I could have a dialog with him to understand his logic about this. But if such conversations are loaded with intense emotion and blue language, I am not sure I would understand his point and would only become upset and confused. I wish him well, but I understand that Distracted had to make a tough call and I support her judgement.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Thu May 02, 2013 12:15 pm

Moderating and being an administrator can be a painful and agonizing job at times. I know that well because I do it too. Moderating is very important, though, and it keeps sites like this one running smoothly.

I wanted to drop in and say hello. :) I just finished up my last course in Biology of the Brain. Our brains are amazing! I'm a proud mom too. :D My son is getting straight A's in college and has an internship with Google over the summer. My daughter just won a prize at a high school art competition. All is well with me! I hope everyone here is well too.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Thu May 02, 2013 3:32 pm

That's great, Bether!

My son is definitely not earning straight A's in high school, but he's going to graduate. And he could go to college if only he wanted to. I guess that's something. But I honestly think he's better off going to work until he figures out what he wants to do.
Image.Image

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Thu May 02, 2013 4:41 pm

They're all unique and different. He'll find his way. It took my son another year after high school to really decide what he wanted to do (Information Technology).

E struggles in school too, especially in math and science. This year she took an easier math course, though, and Environmental Science instead of Chemistry. I think these were good decisions. I hate seeing her self-esteem knocked down because she struggles with math. She's taking 3 art courses this year too. :)

I'm not really sure how J got so smart, but I can say there is no better feeling than seeing your child thrive out on his own.

We should get together and see the new Star Trek movie. :D

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Thu May 02, 2013 6:22 pm

The pleasure to hear a friendly voice again is saddened by the sorrow of losing another.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Thu May 02, 2013 8:49 pm

Oh God yes, Beth, I completely forgot that's coming out. Excellent plan!
Image.Image

Return to “General Chat”