Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Show On Map: No

Re: The Happy News thread

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:54 pm

Remember my complaint that my old desktop and browser acted funny (which has led me to not having shut it down for a week now)? Well, I thought I must get a new computer but for whatever reason I didn't get around to it this past weekend. Lucky for me since today my ISP made me an offer to give me new laptop provided I sign up for their mobile Internet (getting a laptop and mobile Internet was another thing I had planned on). Summing up, this will cost me less than if I had done it separately. And I'll be in no hurry to get my new desktop, which I'll probably put off until this summer now.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:14 am

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:Remember my complaint that my old desktop and browser acted funny (which has led me to not having shut it down for a week now)? Well, I thought I must get a new computer but for whatever reason I didn't get around to it this past weekend. Lucky for me since today my ISP made me an offer to give me new laptop provided I sign up for their mobile Internet (getting a laptop and mobile Internet was another thing I had planned on). Summing up, this will cost me less than if I had done it separately. And I'll be in no hurry to get my new desktop, which I'll probably put off until this summer now.

That is very cool! 8)

Entilzha
Captain
Captain

Postby Entilzha » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:30 pm

Estonian sumo wrestler Baruto http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baruto will be promoted to the rank of ōzeki or champion rank after ending Haru-basho with a score of 14-1(at least 33 wins from three tournaments in a row is needed) :D
You live for The One, you die for The One.

Ezinma88
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Ezinma88 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:18 pm

I have some very happy news.... I've just been offered a new job!!

It's for a company that I've wanted to work for pretty much my entire life.... no exaggeration! So, it was the only interview I've ever felt slightly nervous about.

It involves a move to London which is another big plus. Both my sisters live in London, several cousins and old friends have ended up there too.

I'm really going to miss the sea and the beaches near my present home. But, I've got a feeling I'll adapt pretty quickly. Woo hoo!

E88

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:24 pm

YEY!
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:27 pm

Congratulations!

How far will it be from your current home? You could still visit on weekends, couldn't you?
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Ezinma88
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Ezinma88 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:08 pm

Visit on the weekends? No, not without a very long train-ride Alelou! So, it's just not worth it.

I'll try to return a couple of times a year, though. This is my home-town. My parents still live here, so do a lot of old school friends. But, standing on the edge of such a change... I feel really energized.

The beaches aren't going anywhere and I can always find somewhere closer to sail.

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:55 pm

Entilzha wrote:Estonian sumo wrestler Baruto http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baruto will be promoted to the rank of ōzeki or champion rank after ending Haru-basho with a score of 14-1(at least 33 wins from three tournaments in a row is needed) :D

How come after the insurgence of Samoans/Americans (Musashimaru, Akebono, Konishki) and the Mongolians (Asashōryū et al.) now suddenly the east europeans (Kotoōshū etc.) are taking over the Sumo ranks. Looks like Takanohana and Wakanohana were the last Japanese who could cut the mustard :lol: :lol:

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:01 pm

I'm trying to imagine someplace with beaches a very long train ride from London (you have to understand distances are A LOT further in the US, and our train service is also much crappier, unless Britain's has gone downhill since I was there).

Scotland? Cornwall? Newcastle? The furthest reaches of Wales?

(You can just ignore me if I'm being rude. I'm a nosy Yank.)
Image.Image

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:13 pm

Alelou wrote:I'm trying to imagine someplace with beaches a very long train ride from London (you have to understand distances are A LOT further in the US, and our train service is also much crappier, unless Britain's has gone downhill since I was there).

Scotland? Cornwall? Newcastle? The furthest reaches of Wales?

(You can just ignore me if I'm being rude. I'm a nosy Yank.)

Britains train service has gone downhill even worse than you would imagine in your worst nightmare :neutral: I tried to get to Devon last year and I thought they was trying to kill me on purpose. Btw. Distances in America. Try Russia. I rode by train from Berlin to Omsk in 2005. We departed on Saturday morning and arrived on Wednesday. We entered a Birch tree forrest on Monday morning and left it Tuesday afternoon :shock: The distances there are just staggering. The nearest (small) town from Omsk (Kalachinsk) is 50 miles away. Between those is nothing but a lot of woods, bears, tigers and utterly drunk people trying to shoot aforementioned animals :shock:

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:26 pm

Ezinma88 wrote:I have some very happy news.... I've just been offered a new job!!

It's for a company that I've wanted to work for pretty much my entire life.... no exaggeration! So, it was the only interview I've ever felt slightly nervous about.

It involves a move to London which is another big plus. Both my sisters live in London, several cousins and old friends have ended up there too.

I'm really going to miss the sea and the beaches near my present home. But, I've got a feeling I'll adapt pretty quickly. Woo hoo!

E88

Woo hoo! :thumbsup: And Kotik, I am surprised there is so much wilderness in Europe.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:45 am

Ezinma88 wrote:Visit on the weekends? No, not without a very long train-ride Alelou! So, it's just not worth it.

I'll try to return a couple of times a year, though. This is my home-town. My parents still live here, so do a lot of old school friends. But, standing on the edge of such a change... I feel really energized.

The beaches aren't going anywhere and I can always find somewhere closer to sail.

Congrats!!!! :thumbsup:
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Ezinma88
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Ezinma88 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:33 am

Thanks for all the kind words guys! They want me to start in two weeks. So, assuming my referees don't assassinate my character it should all be fine.... :?

Now I just have to find somewhere to live :explode:

Alelou, I'm not going to give out my exact location. But, somewhere in there you hit the nail on the head!

Kotik, WHAT?!? I can't believe you were on a train for all that time. I would have gone crazy. I think it's bad enough when people spend 24 hours flying to Australia from the UK. What on earth did you do for all that time? There's only so much scenary you can look at. I certainly hope you wore those special flight socks when you were sat in your train berth. DVT is not something to be sniffed at!

Also, what's all this about British trains?! I'll admit I've been on some long journeys in my time, that have seen me standing most of the way (squashed in like a sardine). But, for the most part, I quite enjoy travelling by train. It's better than the US.... But, ok it's not quite as nice as France. Last year I hopped on board a train from Bergerac to Bordeaux.... my word! The carriages were near empty and remarkably clean!

But, there's no way you can call British trains BAD! We all know it could be much worse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STNWc7Rlpfk

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:48 pm

Oh my God.

Imagine a planet like that. Our heroes would be freaking out.

Maybe Hoshi would feel right at home, though. :vulcan:
Image.Image

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:16 am

Alelou wrote:Imagine a planet like that. Our heroes would be freaking out.

The Mark of Gideon

And congrats on the new job, Ezinma88! :)
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Return to “General Chat”