Once Upon a Time?

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Elessar
Site Owner

Once Upon a Time?

Postby Elessar » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:11 am

I've not seen a thread for this and I was just curious if anybody's a fan. Me and Star caught the first season on DVD and then hurried into town to find the 2nd! From what I understand it's up to season 3 on TV. It apparently already has a spin-off called "Once Upon a Time in Wonderland". It also has a huge following on FFN, Star is all into the Hook/Emma ship ("Captain Swan" they call it, but if you ask me there's only ONE Captain Swan! And that's the delectable Keira Knightley with short hair and a rapier in Pirates 2 :drool: )

Anyway if you haven't heard of this show it's about fairy tales/characters come to life due to an evil curse in a small town in Maine called "Storybrooke" (I see what you did there). Snow White, Prince Charming, Little Red Riding Hood, the Mad Hatter, the Queen of Hearts, Malefescient (sp?), Cinderella, Prince Phillip, MULAN even, Belle, Rumple Stiltskin (Robert Carlyle from SG:U). Jennifer Morrison is a co-star (from House and Kirk's mother in rebootTrek1) of Ginnefer Goodwin (youngest wife from Big Love). So far I think what I'm most intrigued and impressed by is the way they re-interpret and re-imagine some of the fairy tales to interleave the stories and characters to all have one interconnected common backstory. And of course, it's basically a show ABOUT 'ships, so there's plenty of FEELS to go around! :bow: :loveeyes: :loveeyes: :shifty: :popcorn:
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Transwarp
Captain
Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: Once Upon a Time?

Postby Transwarp » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:54 pm

I just started watching 'Once Upon a Time in Wonderland' and I'm enjoying it (so far). I've only seen the first three episodes on Hulu, but it's pulled me in. It's your basic quest/journey tale, with Alice on a mission to find her lost love (the genie Cyrus) aided by the knave of hearts (a character with a checkered past). The queen of hearts and an evil magician/sorcerer named Jaffar (sp?) act as her antagonists, as they want the genie's powers for themselves.

The problem I've seen with quest stories on TV is that the writers have a hard time knowing when to quit. I stopped watching the show "Revolution' after season 1 because the characters reached the end of their quest (and failed). In season 2, they just seem to all be aimlessly trying to survive without any discernible mission or goals. Yawn.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

Elessar
Site Owner

Re: Once Upon a Time?

Postby Elessar » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:55 pm

Transwarp wrote:I just started watching 'Once Upon a Time in Wonderland' and I'm enjoying it (so far). I've only seen the first three episodes on Hulu, but it's pulled me in. It's your basic quest/journey tale, with Alice on a mission to find her lost love (the genie Cyrus) aided by the knave of hearts (a character with a checkered past). The queen of hearts and an evil magician/sorcerer named Jaffar (sp?) act as her antagonists, as they want the genie's powers for themselves.

The problem I've seen with quest stories on TV is that the writers have a hard time knowing when to quit. I stopped watching the show "Revolution' after season 1 because the characters reached the end of their quest (and failed). In season 2, they just seem to all be aimlessly trying to survive without any discernible mission or goals. Yawn.

The original show Once Upon a Time isn't really a quest show in that way. The primary conflict is between Emma (Jennifer Morrison) and the Evil Queen, rather than 'the breaking of the curse'. So when the curse is broken (as you may obviously assume after the first episode it eventually will be), it's not quite such a sudden drop off the storytelling map. By that point there are plenty of other conflicts and subplots going on.

I didn't get bored with Revolution after the S1 finale - in reality, Season 2 is written quite a bit better. Rockne O'Bannon of Farscape comes in as the EP. I don't know, with Giancarlo Esposito running around being his evil self and Tracy Spiridakos running around in those spray on jeans, it's just impossible for me to get bored in that show :mrgreen:
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Return to “General Chat”