Man of Steel *Warning!!! Spoilers!!!*

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Man of Steel *Warning!!! Spoilers!!!*

Postby Distracted » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:08 pm

I went to see Man of Steel yesterday afternoon with an eye-rolling attitude of "Here we go again...", but I couldn't not go. I mean, Superman and Lois Lane are the ultimate star-crossed lovers, right? And I sure wouldn't still be hanging around here if I didn't have a thing for star-crossed lovers. But I wasn't really expecting anything other than "the same old same old" punctuated by lots of explosions and shiny gadgets, since it is, of course, 2013. And what is a movie in 2013 without explosions and shiny gadgets?

Somewhat to my surprise, this new version has a lot going for it that I've never seen before in the Superman mythos. Sure, there's more destruction than ever before, but there's also a bona-fide journalist instead of just a damsel in distress, an excellent acting job by Kevin Costner (honestly the best acting I've ever seen from the man), a seriously buff Superman (and I mean drool-worthy, ladies; this young man is in amazing shape... and he can even act... not that I really care...), and a sci-fi worthy Krypton. Definitely worth the ticket price (at least for the non-3D. I didn't spring for the 3-D version.)

Has anyone else seen it? What do you think?
Image sig by chrisis1033

Jamieson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Man of Steel *Warning!!! Spoilers!!!*

Postby Jamieson » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:29 pm

I haven't seen it yet. I haven't really been waiting with much anticipation for this one, at least in comparison to some of the others that have come out this year, or will be shortly - Superman was never my "big thing", but I do like the superhero genre, and it does look like a movie I'll enjoy, if for nothing more than the visuals. After hearing your comments, I'll definitely check it out. I have a mountain of free movie passes and, despite my best efforts this season (and there have been many), I keep gaining them back almost as fast as I use them...too much work, not enough :popcorn:

dialee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby dialee » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:59 am

Well, I'm glad someone went to see it. Frankly, I really wasn't sure if I wanted to see it.

Tell me really, spoilers or not, don't care, who is the girlfriend in the movie? Lois Lane or Wonder Woman? I was really put off by DC Comics when they were going to re-do the mythos and have Lois Lane as just the close colleague and nothing else with you know who in the girlfriend role. Come on, I thought, I grew up learning to read on Superman comics and now....blech :upchuck:

DC has just never gotten it!

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:04 am

Wonder Woman was not in this movie, thank God. That would have been a real shark-jump for me.
Image sig by chrisis1033

dialee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby dialee » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:10 am

Thank you, Dis!

Now I can go see the movie relatively trepidationless (word?) sometime in the coming week. By the way, in light of Star Trek's villian, do I want to know who the villian is in this movie?

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:12 am

The villain hasn't changed, just the suit. ;-)
Image sig by chrisis1033

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:36 pm

I just saw the new Superman movie. Ireally liked the actors who played Superman and Lois lane. And the actors who played Calel-s parents and adoptive parents. I thought the fight scenes were too long though.That's the only thing they should 've cut back on was the fight scenes went on too long. :clap: .

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:26 pm

Agreed.
Image sig by chrisis1033

dialee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby dialee » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:40 pm

I have just seen the new movie Man of Steel and the best thing about it, hands down, were the actors in each of their roles. They suffused the characters with a subtlety that made me believe that they were those people on the screen rather than an actor playing those people on the screen.

The harshness of the Kryptonian terrain made the whole planet looked like it was just made of mountains, and no flatlands. This was kind of unusual. I would think that if you used-up a planet’s resources, it would be more flat than mountainous since the natural resources would be needed to be dug out of the planet and over time, the surface would even out. However, back to the point, the harshness of the landscape essentially set the mood and tone of the movie for me, made it more alien.

I’m glad Lois dropped the story. A bit amazing really when you consider the lack of journalistic integrity in today’s media. It cost her. She put in a lot of hard work and time in tracking people down and interviewing them and putting the pieces together. Because in this movie, she obviously knows right from the beginning who Clark Kent is.

I like the kiss near the end of the movie. It wasn’t done in the romantic sense, not totally, but just good to alive and relief.

Dislikes:

While I like the alienness of the Kryptonian landscape, the tone and mood of the movie was dark. It set me on edge. I missed the sweetness of the Christopher Reeve version.

Why does every movie in the hero genre, especially in Superman movies have to have that element of messiahship? I think this version took it even further. Aside from the obvious comparison of sending his only son to this world, etc, Jor-El infused Kal-El with the genome of a billion future Kryptonians in his body???? Someone, please explain to me the concept of the codex. Is the same concept as we are all members of the body of Christ?

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:48 pm

Evidently. Did you catch the fact that he was supposed to be on Earth for 33 years when he went public with the Superman persona? Jesus supposedly was 33 when he started his ministry.
Image sig by chrisis1033

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:59 am

Hubs and I had our special weekend this weekend. We always take turns who will surprise the other and this time it was my turn.

Based on the reviews of this thread, I took him to Man of Steel. I really loved the first part, especially the part when Clark is struggling with his overwhelming emotions and his mother rushes to the school and helps him. As a mother I could relate to that part. I did like the action part, but for me that was taking way too long. Afterwards, I asked hubs what he thought of the movie. He liked the action part a lot, but he said that during the first part he was getting impatient with all that psychological stuff, but he was waiting for the action. LOL. :lol:
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:53 pm

And that's the issue with today's sci-fi movies. The writers are trying to please everyone, but end up perfectly satisfying no one.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:41 pm

Being able to get a good balance, or, rather, to mix with each other, in a successful mixture of action and introspection, is something that few are capable of doing.
Perhaps it would be best to take the one or the other road, by agreeing to satisfy only a part of the public. At least, this way, if you go to see a movie, you know what to expect.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:58 am

Well, hubs and I both did like the first part of Man of Steel a lot, the part that takes place at the planet of Krypton. Krypton is beautifully done, a wonderful fantasy atmosphere and an interesting combination of ancient and very modern. It's original. And you have deep thoughts and action. I think I liked those minutes at the planet the best of the whole movie.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Return to “General Chat”