Boston Explosion.

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kotik

Boston Explosion.

Postby Kotik » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:12 pm

Just saw that there was an explosion at the Boston marathon. :cry: :cry: Whatever individual came up with that idea - I hope they get him and kill him to death until he dies.

Asso
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Re: Boston Explosion.

Postby Asso » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:28 pm

I too have seen. I do not know what to say.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:49 pm

Senseless terrorism
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:32 am

It's so sad. Plus for anyone who remembers 9/11 it brings back a lot of terrible memories.

I'm forcing myself to leave behind the endless coverage. After awhile I find I'm mostly just comparing newscasts. Oh look, CBS has a lot more actual information (as usual). Oh look, Brian Williams is sounding tough and sardonic. Oh look, CNN is clearly digging in to talk about nothing else for the next two weeks.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:27 pm

Just more crazy.

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:58 am

Alelou wrote:I'm forcing myself to leave behind the endless coverage. After awhile I find I'm mostly just comparing newscasts. Oh look, CBS has a lot more actual information (as usual). Oh look, Brian Williams is sounding tough and sardonic. Oh look, CNN is clearly digging in to talk about nothing else for the next two weeks.

It should be talked about though - This was a deliberate act, trying to maim and kill as much people as possible. The bombs exploded 4hours after the start. That's when all the high profile runners are long gone, but at 4h hundreds of amateurs start pouring in with their families on the sidelines cheering them on. This was done by some inthinkably sick person, who's goal it was to injure as much people as possible. I'm not a friend of american gun craziness, not by a long shot, But if the american people find out, who it was and deal him a slow, inhumane, torturous death, I'll be on the sidelines cheering.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:51 pm

Oh, it's news all right, and it has to be covered. It's unfortunate that the endless coverage is probably exactly what whoever this was wants, though.

I don't think it's healthy to just watch this stuff loop endlessly, though.

I'm so glad that old guy I must have watched crumple to the ground at least 25 times the first day was just fine. The follow-up stories were sometimes a great relief in that regard. (In other regards, just more horrifying.)
Image.Image

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:44 pm

So looks like the two scumbags were muslim Chechen bombers. Born in Kazakhstan, grown up in Daghestan - called 'bombers valley' in Russia and then radicalized in Chechnia. Maybe we shouldn't have objected when Putin tried to exterminate the whole lot a few years ago.
What I don't get is, the two lowlives managed to thrash a 7-11, kidnap a car and kill a cop. How come the good guys always leave their legal assualt rifles at home? Could it be that your glorious gun laws achieve nothing but making sure that the nutjobs have lethal weapons?

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:42 pm

Owning a semi-automatic "assault rifle" - basically just a dressed up hunting rifle in most cases - is legal in the US, but carrying it on your person on a city street is not. Handguns are legal to carry if you have a license to do so, but only in certain states and in certain places. If I'm not mistaken, the area where the accused bombers killed an officer and hijacked a Mercedes was on or very near a college campus, since the police officer they killed was a campus police officer. College campuses in the US are "gun free zones" even in states where carrying a hand gun on one's person is permitted. That's why there are so many shootings on college campuses. The gunmen know that no one but a police officer can offer armed resistance. Yet the law was supposedly passed to ensure the safety of our students. Go figure.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:35 am

Distracted wrote:That's why there are so many shootings on college campuses.

I never realized that. But it reminds me of that story about a report (was it in the USA?) a few years ago that leaked the locations of people with firearms permits. If I remember right, it was done deliberately in the hope of embarrassing the gun keepers. Criminals were very interested in that, because it told them which houses not to burgle.

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:42 am

Good News, appears they have the mutt trapped. I hope they follow Kotik's original advice and save the expense of a trial. This piece of Sh*& is just garbage. If he is tried and sent to prison I give him less than 6 months before he is expired.
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:37 am

Far be it from me to suggest that the Boston bombing was anything less than horrendous, but I'd also like to point out that we're dealing with a suspect who is only 19 years old. This boy is someone's possibly mentally disturbed (certainly culturally brainwashed) beloved child. Not to mention the fact that he hasn't yet been convicted of anything. None of which excuses his behavior if he's actually guilty, of course. For those who ask "Why would he run if he didn't plant the bomb?", my answer would be "That's an excellent question. Let's take him to trial and find out."
Image sig by chrisis1033

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:10 am

He sounds pretty normal, at least compared to his brother who sounds more like the classic antisocial personality. How sad if he got sucked into this horror by the older guy. I'm relieved they got him alive and hopeful that we will mean we get the answers we want.

Having lived as a Resident Assistant in the graduate dorm at UNH, I can say that I am very, very, very glad guns were not allowed on campus. Things could get plenty weird enough without adding easy deadly force to the mix. And in my undergraduate years? Hell, the Red Sox/Yankee games aired at UMass might have elicited a rain of gunfire, instead of just the usual storm of toilet paper and pumpkins.

On both campuses, I would have expected the suicide rate to rise, and the number of murdered significant others, too. Most gun violence deaths in this country are not caused by homicidal maniacs or robbers, but by suicide and domestic violence.
Image.Image

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:25 am

Well, I'm glad they've caught/killed what appears to be the prime perpetrators but there may be others involved still.

As far as guns on campus go, when I was a college student we challenged or broke loads of rules. If having guns on campus had been important to us, I'm sure we would have broken that rule as well. It may even have been OK (or at least not prohibited) to have guns on campus back then but the subject never came up.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:41 am

I'm not sure it ever got mentioned, actually. I know the no knives on campus thing gets pretty annoying these days and most of us ignore it if we want to be able to slice our apples or whatever. (And we have had a couple of stabbings anyway.)
Image.Image

Return to “General Chat”