Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: Boston Explosion.

Postby Cogito » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:41 pm

Distracted wrote:For those who ask "Why would he run if he didn't plant the bomb?", ...

There seems to have been an online lynch mob publishing pictures of alleged suspects over the past few days with scant regard to whether there was actually any case against any of them. It would have been understandable for any of those innocent people to panic, seeing their pictures published alongside accusations that they were the wanted terrorists.

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:31 pm

Guns on campus, I had my deer rifle. When you're from Michigan and in school in Georgia its kinda hard to go home and get it for hunting season. Of course that was many years ago. It probably wasn't plan A. How are ya gonna clean a fish without a knife??

Not to argue too much, but when some news nitwit referred to the brothers as boys I got very mad. A 19 year old is a man not a boy but I will grant he probably isn't grown up yet. The 26 year old is a man or ought to be. They are responsible for their actions. Part of the problems we are having in the USA is the acceptance of adolescent decision making from young adults.

Were they brainwashed? Undoubtably by western standards. By their own standards, I don't know. I still have a vivid memory of the whistling and cheering by the Palestinians as the twin towers came down.
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Postby Alelou » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:09 am

Like the Chechens, the Palestinians have grown up in a brutal war zone in which their heroes are terrorists and the 'bad guys' blowing up their houses or stealing their land are either the US or US allies (although I don't see how that works in Chechnya, frankly, except for the Islamist angle). It's not surprising some of them turn to violence.

It's depressing that they still want to do it after living here long enough to realize it's more complicated than it undoubtedly seemed to them growing up, though.

And yes, the New York Post has a lot to answer for with that cover photo.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Return to “General Chat”