Strange Things

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Asso
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Strange Things

Postby Asso » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:57 pm

Do not you think such a thread may be interesting?
I believe so.

Let's begin.

I thought this could be interesting. Look at these pictures, please.

Strange building, is not it?
It is located in Turin and was made by the same architect who built the Mole Antonelliana, Alessandro Antonelli, to be precise.

I believe that the nickname that the people of Turin has given this building fits perfectly. They call it "Slice of Polenta".
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Re: Strange Things

Postby Alelou » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:06 am

That's strange, all right. Are those solar collectors? Why, otherwise, would he bother with that facade up there?

I went to google to try to find a somewhat similar building I remember seeing in Austin, Texas and instead came across this panoply of weirdness: http://www.keepaustinweird.com/current.html.

Here's that building, though (the Nix building, which isn't really as thin as it looks): http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... g&dur=3830
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:14 am

No, Alelou. :) I apologize, I probably have not been clear and photographs as well. I try to be more clear, because I would like to bring out exactly why this building is truly unique. Those are not solar collectors, those are shutters. We are talking about a building which dates from the late nineteenth century. :)

The name Fetta di Polenta, which is commonly attributed, mainly comes from the yellow color and the unique layout that resembles a real "slice". The official name Casa Scaccabarozzi descends instead from the surname of the wife of Antonelli (Francesca Scaccabarozzi lady originally from Cremona) who, besides giving her name, lived there for a few years with her husband, when nobody wanted to go to live there for fear of collapse, because it represented a building that, for that time (1840-1881), defied the classical rules in terms of construction.

The design of this neighborhood, built on land owned by Marchesi di Barolo, was commissioned in 1840 to the Company Builders Vanchiglia of which the famous Alessandro Antonelli, designer of the famous Mole, was part. Designed by Antonelli himself, it seems that the Slice of Polenta was built more for a bet than for a real need. The land on which the building was to be built had an extended trapezoid. This was the result of the demolition of an earlier structure which stood on the present Corso San Maurizio, demolished to create what is now Via Giulia di Barolo. The building was constructed in several steps from the first three floors (1840), following the other two, and finally, in a still later stage, with the completion the present top floor (1881). After various historical phases, during which the Slice of Polenta passed from owner to owner, always with the intended residential use, it is currently used as a home-gallery

To even better understand the likely bet that Antonelli had undertaken to win, just look at the size of the sides of this curious building: 16 meters on Via Giulia di Barolo, 4.35 meters of Corso San Maurizio and just 54 centimetres from the wall side opposite to that of the course (parallel to corso San Maurizio and orthogonal to Via Giulia di Barolo).

The building consists of 9 floors of different heights, all connected by a narrow stone scissor-staircase, with a total height of 24 meters. Seven floors are above ground (including the ground floor), while two are underground and it is the depth of the foundation that gives the building its legendary stability. Of note they are the balconies and windows as projecting cornices. The use of this ruse is a design solution that Antonelli put into effect in order to gain as much space as possible inside the building. On the top floor you can instead see a balcony that runs down through the statements of the main facades. In the side of 54 centimetres, in order to optimize the space, Antonelli located the chimney flue.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:47 am

I think I still need a google Earth overhead image to understand how anyone can fit in those upper floors...
Image.Image

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:00 pm

Mh, ​​who knows ... maybe this can help.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:47 pm

LOL. Yes, that helps!
Image.Image

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:33 pm

Oh well! I'm happy! :D
Now what? Come on, whoever's turn it is! :poke:

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:09 pm

Wow, I think you'd have to be very fit to live there. All those stairs!

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:13 pm

The essence of being human, we do things that are at best weird yet in this case also beautiful.
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:18 pm

Weeble wrote:The essence of being human, we do things that are at best weird yet in this case also beautiful.

Yeah. I believe that, somehow, T'Pol has realized this. :D

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Fri May 17, 2013 6:29 pm

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri May 17, 2013 9:03 pm

*cringe*

Now that just put me right off my feed. Yeowch.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sat May 18, 2013 1:37 am

Ugh!!! And I speak as someone who is very fond of her (electric) chainsaw.

Knock wood.
Image.Image

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Sat May 18, 2013 2:20 am

I think I see a Darwin award winner.....
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sun May 19, 2013 9:38 pm

Downtime

Return to “General Chat”