Have you ever done something really stupid?

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kotik

Have you ever done something really stupid?

Postby Kotik » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:08 pm

... you know the kind of thing where you sit down afterwards and just facepalm for a minute?

Happened to me today. I wanted to make myself something for lunch and not being in the mood for some elaborate cooking, I opened a tin of soup, poured the soup into the rubbish bin and put the empty tin into the boiling pot. I think I needed 5 minutes to stop laughing about my own stupidity. :lol:

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Re: Have you ever done something really stupid?

Postby Distracted » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:13 pm

Do you have ADHD by any chance? Sounds like you weren't paying attention... in a big way. : D
Image sig by chrisis1033

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:26 pm

Oh hell, I do stuff like that all the time. Carefully trim the veggies and throw the good part in the compost bin... make tea without a tea bag... (once I took off with a spoon rattling around inside the travel mug) ... send out the press release just at the deadline without attaching the file.... Haven't quite managed to pour a whole can of soup out into the trash yet, though. That makes me feel better. 8)
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:42 pm

Distracted wrote:Do you have ADHD by any chance?

In fact I do, which is why I often have some of those 'oops' moments, but they are usually not as BIG OOPS as my kitchen stunt earlier today. Normally it stops at things like peeling an orange or a boiled egg and then throwing it into the rubbish bin. Another classic of mine is sitting down to have my morning coffee and a cigarette and pouring the coffee into the ash tray.

A few weeks ago I had another such *facepalm* moment. I wanted to make myself a nice big Schnitzel with Knödels, so I set up a pot of boiling water for the knödels and a frying pan for the Schnitzel. I had just finished breading the meat and without missing a beat, I lobbed it into the boiling water. :oops: :lol:

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:37 pm

:lol:

T'Pol would recommend meditation.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:01 am

Vyvanse might also help. 8)
Image sig by chrisis1033

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:11 am

So now Dis wants to medicate Kotik????

Dr. Weeble's prescription. First ya get a beer.....

The real problem for our dear Kotik is that he is getting OLDER. He is no doubt experiencing the first stages of CRS. That's "Can't Remember Shit" for you youngsters. it is why we tend to keep our lives very organized and put things back in their place after use. One of the later signs of real CRS is purchasing lots of pairs of cheap reading glasses and leaving them scattered around the house and the truck and the fly vest....

just sayin'
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 am

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:24 pm

Weeble wrote:Dr. Weeble's prescription. First ya get a beer...'

Um.... I'm reasonably certain that alcohol will make the problem worse, though I suppose Kotik might not care anymore about the problem if he has enough beer in him. Keep in mind that heavy alcohol consumption kills brain cells. Sounds like Kotik wants to keep those. :-p
Image sig by chrisis1033

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:36 pm

Don't worry, Dis. I don't have the slightest problem with Weeble's prescription. :mrgreen: The only problem with beer is, that I sometimes have to drink more than intended, because I open a new bottle, while the one I opened before is standing right next to it - still full :crazed:
Can't let the stuff go stale now, can we 8) Still better than my university days. 50 litres a week wasn't uncommon back then. But the really unfair thing is, that I never had weight problems then, but these days I'm getting fat. It's unfair.

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:44 pm

Having experienced the extra open beer problem myself on occasion, I highly recommend the addition of a beer glass. Decanting beer into a glass, while leaving the consumer with a dish to clean, does tend to eliminate the extra bottle or can. Beer glasses can also be decorative.
My latest beer difficulty is my dog Rooby the Wonder Mutt. She really likes beer and will knock a beer over if it is within range. She is very dangerous in the canoe as she has learned that a quick shift in weight accomplishes the same task and she can feign innocence. Besides who is going to fight her for the stuff on the bottom of the canoe.
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:34 pm

Wait until you walk in to a room or downstairs and then forget why you did it.

Standing in a room wondering why you are there is just thrilling.

For my age (77) my mind is still pretty good. I do not have dementia, yet. I do tend to forget to turn off lights which irritates Hell out of my wife.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:47 pm

SB, I wouldn't worry about forgetting to turn off lights or things like forgetting why you are where you went. That has nothing to do with getting older. That particular affliction ist called "being male"
You have to keep in mind that, while the womenfolk can multitask, a man can't. We only have three bytes of stack, so if we're given 4 informations, one of them gets lost - usually the most important one.
Men were designed by nature for being able to do three things:

1) Make new cavemen
2) Go out and clobber some wildlife for supper
3) Remember to not crap in the cave.

That's why the male brain still works mechanically. A woman can make supper while speaking with her best friend on the phone. A man would drop the phone into the soup and put the wooden spoon to his ear.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:33 pm

Well, last night I discovered that after a busy day at work all it takes is a single glass of wine with dinner to short circuit my multi-tasking gene. I mean, all I was trying to do was boil eggs for my daughter's lunchbox, do the laundry, and watch a movie in French with her for extra points in French class at the same time. How hard could that be, right? I ended up having to stay up late to swab exploded egg from the kitchen floor, walls, and countertops. The damned things sounded like gunshots when the water boiled away. My husband and daughter both thought it was hilarious. Me, not so much. :bitch:
Image sig by chrisis1033

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:00 pm

Well, household tip from someone, who was born as a single-tasker. I have a little mechanical alarm clock that I set for the proper boiling time. Often, when the alarm goes off, the information what I set it for has already fallen off the stack, but it is enough to make me investigate. And when I see a pot of boiling water with eggs in it, it usually comes back to me :lol:

On top of that, you were multitasking under complicating circumstances. Watching a french film is a harrowing experience at the best of times and making sense of the language is two tasks to begin with. 8)

Return to “General Chat”