Have you ever done something really stupid?

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Re: Have you ever done something really stupid?

Postby Weeble » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:20 pm

First victim, a mouse. Raticator worked great, see blinking red light. turn off unit, dump corpse into doubled plastic grocery bag, rebait and turn back on.

"come here little varmint...."
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:31 am

You seem to have a lot of wildlife in your house, Sir :lol:

Linda
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Postby Linda » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:20 pm

Live traps for mice don't seem to work too well for me. I catch a couple and release away from the house but then either these mice return or other mice learn how to avoid the live traps. It becomes a duel of wits in the placement and bait selection for the traps. :duel: I hate using the killing traps but end up having to do so. :( When I see a mouse climbing up the leg of my parrot's cage I spring into action to protect my beloved bird. :fasthorse: But I doubt that "Hercule Parrot", who I have had for 23 years, cares much one way or the other about sharing food with a mouse.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:34 pm

This electrocution things works well. Unfortunately the count is still one. The unit has been relocated to another hopefully target rich environment in the basement. Actually if all the critters were gone i'd be happy..
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Postby Alelou » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:24 pm

Linda wrote:Live traps for mice don't seem to work too well for me. I catch a couple and release away from the house but then either these mice return or other mice learn how to avoid the live traps. It becomes a duel of wits in the placement and bait selection for the traps. :duel: I hate using the killing traps but end up having to do so. :( When I see a mouse climbing up the leg of my parrot's cage I spring into action to protect my beloved bird. :fasthorse: But I doubt that "Hercule Parrot", who I have had for 23 years, cares much one way or the other about sharing food with a mouse.

Some of the organic growers I read suggest an upside down wooden box with killing traps in them (sorry, we're not very patient with rodents) put along the path of the most destructive voles and mice and such, and using no bait at all. Apparently upside down boxes alone are enough to get them in (this may be a frigid Northeastern thing). I haven't tried it myself yet, and I know others use bait, but the idea is that they learn to associate certain bait with certain death... It's on my list of things to do, after the day I opened the compost lid and came face to face with a very healthy looking mouse.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Return to “General Chat”