Anybody seen "Looper"? (spoiler alert)

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Anybody seen "Looper"? (spoiler alert)

Postby Distracted » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:26 am

The last time I started a movie thread everyone ignored it, but I thought I'd try again anyway.

SPOILER!!!:
This movie is the best real sci-fi movie I've seen in a long time. The acting is superb, especially the amazingly mature performance from the 5 year old boy who plays Sid. On the other hand, there's entirely too much bloody violence for my tastes in it (I guess I should have expected that from a Bruce Willis movie) and Piper Perabo's willlingness to do what amounts to a bit nudie part has me scratching my head after all of the other quality work she's done on film and televison. I mean, how could she possibly be so hard up for work that she's willing to run around in nothing but a pair of lace cheekie panties for a paycheck?
Image sig by chrisis1033

putaro
Captain
Captain

Re: Anybody seen "Looper"? (spoiler alert)

Postby putaro » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:56 pm

I'll have to check it out. I usually don't get to watch movies until they're out on DVD though.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:15 pm

My son the anime nerd who's also a fundamentalist Christian (try reconciling that in your head... No wonder he's peculiar) told me at lunch today that he hated the movie... Something about the awful, nightmarish ending. :vulcan:

Come to find out that his take on the plot was that the Rainmaker was the Antichrist. Isn't it odd what two years of bible college can do to a person's thought processes? And I helped pay his tuition. Sigh.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:41 am

Distracted wrote:Come to find out that his take on the plot was that the Rainmaker was the Antichrist. Isn't it odd what two years of bible college can do to a person's thought processes? And I helped pay his tuition. Sigh.

Doesn't surprise me much to be honest. The first thing that springs to mind, when I hear 'bible college' is 'brainwashing'. I'm a religiously rather tolerant person, but fact is, there are quite a few nutcases running around in the guise of clergymen. Why did you send your child to a bible college ? :shock:

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:31 am

He flunked out of regular college. It was his grandmother's idea and my husband went along with it. Since his only other choice was to be kicked out on his own at age 21 my son went along with it too. Was supposed to instill a work ethic in him and force him to re-order his priorities. Seems to have worked from an academic standpoint. He's back in college and doing okay so far. He's stopped drinking so much and stopped online gaming all night and has passing grades. The goal was to get him graduated to he can get a job and support himself. I suppose a few odd ideas are a reasonable trade off. It beats working waiting tables for the rest of his life.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:02 am

If you want to feel a bit better about what your kids are doing, Distracted, my 21 year old granddaughter quit high school half way through her senior year and has been kicking around wearing out her welcome living with one friend, then another. She long ago wore out her welcome living with her parents and grandparents. She has done I don't know how many drugs and only works for a couple of months before losing or quitting jobs. And it is a long time between jobs for most kids these days, especially her. Recently, she actually has found a boy friend that both her mother and I can stand to be around and plans to get married the end of this year. Neither she nor he has a job, though. They are living with his mother who does have a job. He, at least, has graduated from high school. Neither of them have a driver's license and both are driving his old clunker of a car - when they manage to get it running, risking picking up another fine for driving without a license. And she has several fines to pay off before she can apply for a license. Both are job hunting, which is good. Both are thinking about technical school - also good. But she must get a GED (high school equivalent certificate) before starting a technical school program. She has started doing a GED program twice and dropped out. But somehow we are still hopeful. And keep paying for her next attempt to finish school. :duh:

Oh, about the theme of this thread. I have not seen Looper yet, but it is on my to do list.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:52 am

Distracted wrote:It beats working waiting tables for the rest of his life.

Heh - my grandmother, in many other ways a fairly sane person, thought that I should be a waiter rather than going to college (you can always get a job, the tips are good :roll: ). Fortunately I ignored her. 8)

Return to “General Chat”