Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Sodium (Salt)

Postby Silverbullet » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:52 pm

Yesterday my wife and I had a frozen Pizza D'Gornio. We both had three slices of it.

Normally my wife checks the Sodium content before she opens a Can or in a prepared meal or whatever.

This time she did not until we had finished the Pizza.

She looked: Each I repeat each slice contained 1,150 mgs of Sodium (Salt) so we both had 3,150 mg of sodium (salt)

that is a months worth of salt.

Needless to say I did not dare take my blood pressure this morning and Breakfast was Oatmeal.

I wonder how much Sodium(salt) is in Pizza's from Pizza Hut, Papa John's or any of the ipzza joints.

We will no longer have frozen Pizza

Sb.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Distracted
Site Donor

Re: Sodium (Salt)

Postby Distracted » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:50 pm

Most processed food is loaded with sodium chloride, SB. Some sodium is necessary for normal body function, but too much sodium can have an impact on kidney function. It can also cause elevated blood pressure and fluid retention in some people with medical conditions which predispose them to such things. Most people in industrialized nations eat too much sodium. Our taste buds have become so accustomed to high levels of sodium that food with more reasonable levels of it tastes bland to us. I'm actually surprised that you and your wife were able to eat that pizza without thinking that it was too salty to finish. Most people who follow a low sodium diet get accustomed to healthier levels of sodium. Eventually foods with as much sodium as that pizza taste bad to them because they're just too salty.

I've inherited my parents' tendency toward high blood pressure. I've been on meds and a lower sodium diet for over a year now. I've gotten to the point now where I've got to be careful what I order in restaurants. If the food's too salty it tastes like brine to me and I can't finish it. For cooking I use seasoning blends that either contain no salt or a mixture of sodium chloride and potassium chloride. They're usually labeled "light" on salt or "reduced sodium". I also usually cook with fresh or frozen vegetables rather than canned. They usually don't have salt added. I try to keep my daily intake down below 1500 mg if I can. If you like frozen or canned entrees from time to time for ease of preparation, try Healthy Choice brand. The foods aren't salt free, but they tend to have about half the sodium of comparable frozen foods. Pizza is also pretty easy to make from scratch or with a store-bought pizza crust. Just add low sodium marinara sauce, reduced sodium mozzarella, and fresh mushrooms, onions, peppers, cooked ground meat, or whatever other fresh ingredients you like and bake it in the oven until the crust is toasted and the cheese is melted.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:31 pm

Dis, unfortunately, for me, I have a problem with Water in my legs. veins is not taking it away so it can be put out of my body. I have water leage in my legs because of that. Sodium does not do me any good. wife is death o Salt or sodium. she makes sure I don't get too much

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:17 am

You might check Paul Newman's too. They tend to have healthier food. I would avoid the pepperoni, though.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Return to “General Chat”