Zachary Quinto as Spock in Trek XI

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Shakabutt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Zachary Quinto as Spock in Trek XI

Postby Shakabutt » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:55 pm

It seems that he would be playing Spock ,what you guys think ?

July 24, 2007 - Rumors have been swirling for weeks that actor Zachary Quinto, best known as the villainous Sylar on Heroes, was in negotiations to play Mr. Spock in director J.J. Abrams' big-screen Star Trek reboot. Now comes word that Quinto is set to succeed Leonard Nimoy in the role of the U.S.S. Enterprise's Vulcan first officer.

According to E! Online, a source for the site confirmed "that the Zachary Quinto-as-Spock contract is with the business affairs team at Paramount. Business affairs is generally considered the last stop on the deal-negotiation train. The deal only awaits sign-off from outside counsel."

Fans should expect an official Trek casting announcement at this week's Comic-Con.

Alex Kurtzman & Roberto Orci (Transformers) penned the Trek screenplay and will executive produce with Bryan Burk. Abrams and his fellow Lost co-creator Damon Lindelof will produce. The movie will shoot this fall for a Christmas Day 2008 release.

Source : IGN.com

Jedikatie
Commander
Commander
Show On Map: No

Re: Zachary Quinto as Spock in Trek XI

Postby Jedikatie » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:17 pm

I still haven't seen anything to convince me to go see this movie... and I've no idea who this guy is, so they're hardly going to draw me in by signing him to play Spock. Far as I'm concerned, Nimoy's Spock.
Was this the army that invaded your country, ma'am? No, officer, they were taller than that...

How about this one? I'm not sure--get them to march up and down a bit...

(From Terry Pratchett's Jingo)

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:39 pm

Oh, dear. Faint I hope not.
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Shakabutt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Shakabutt » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:42 pm

Here he is

He plays Sylar in Heroes ,but i don't watch the show so i don't know how good he is .

The movie is produced by JJ Abrams ,and written by Alex Kurtzman & Roberto Orci who wrote Transformers ,the special effects are done by Industrial Light and Magic (transformers ,indiana jones,star wars and other great movies ) .

I think the movie won't be "Star Trek 11 " ,its more likely that it would be "Star Trek" ,a remake of TOS ,like SuperMan Returns ,not exactlly canon ,something in between the old series with "modern stuff" that appeals to the non-trek fan .

Abrams is very secretive about his projects ,so i think it would be some time until we get a teaser or something .

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:28 pm

Don't know this guy and I don't care. It isn't really Star Trek to me anyway. There is just no way you can remake the original with new actors... Vulcan WTF
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:31 pm

I think he makes a believably creepy villain. Now whether he can pull off playing Spock is another matter entirely. I think that with this new movie the way I plan to deal with it is to think of them as completely different characters that happen to have the same names and try to suspend disbelief...kinda like the first time I saw the new BSG. And that turned out MUCH better than the original.
Image sig by chrisis1033

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:10 pm

I liked that other guy from King Kong better for Spock.

Mitchell
Commander
Commander

Postby Mitchell » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:17 am

Confused I think, That TPTB are trying to drive yet another nail into the Trek Coffin with this Movie.
Any attempt to Remake/re-do the Orginal Series with new actors, is a really bad Idea, that wont turn out to healthy for Trek at all.

Theirs only 7 actors that could ever pulloff those characters. An this Zachary Quinto is no Nimoy. Doubt
TnT I love em. Very Happy

boushh
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby boushh » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:28 am

I'm in wait and see mode with this movie. I'm not all that interested in it at the moment, but I'm also not ready to hate it yet either. You never know, they might actually do something good. I'll give them a chance... meaning I'll wait for reviews ect, before I go and see it.

As for Zachary Quinto... I think he might be able to do it. I think he has the features for it, and he seems like a capable actor on Heroes. He's also a cutie. Wink

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:05 am

boushh wrote:I'm in wait and see mode with this movie. I'm not all that interested in it at the moment, but I'm also not ready to hate it yet either.
Ditto. Then again, I've hardly seen any TOS.

I've never heard of this guy before, but I have to say the conveniently posted picture (thanks, Shaka) shows a little resemblence to Nimoy. That's a good start.

TSara
Captain
Captain

Postby TSara » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:28 am

boushh wrote:You never know, they might actually do something good. I'll give them a chance... meaning I'll wait for reviews ect, before I go and see it.

Unfortunately you can't always go by the reviews though.

Some of my favorite movies have been given crappy reviews by the critics.

Confused
"It can giggle all it wants, but the galaxy isn't gettin' any of our bourbon." -Trip to Malcolm Shuttlepod One

Archer: You missed T'Pol's latest bout with chopsticks.
Trip: Damn, dinner and a show.- Silent Enemy

http://www.myspace.com/hylndlas

http://tsara80.livejournal.com/

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:31 am

Coming from a guy who condemned *the_abomination* well before it aired, I'm going to wait and see this one before I make a call on it. I'm a little surprised people are condemning it already just because the original actors can't reprise their roles. Vulcan WTF In my view, this movie has at least one thing going for it because the BumbleBeebs aren't calling the shots on it. Wink

boushh
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby boushh » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:58 pm

T'Sara wrote:
boushh wrote:You never know, they might actually do something good. I'll give them a chance... meaning I'll wait for reviews ect, before I go and see it.

Unfortunately you can't always go by the reviews though.

Some of my favorite movies have been given crappy reviews by the critics.

Confused

I guess I mean more of reading critic reviews as well as fan reviews and sort of making my decision... Trailers and clips as well would help. I'm not that interested in it right now so I'd need some motivation. I wonder if Zachary Quinto might give them more of a push from the general audience since Heroes is so popular right now.

The characters are iconic so I can see a lot of the trepidation for this movie, but I'll still take on a wait and see approach. I don't like making definitive decisions about stuff I haven't seen or read. Though I suppose if it's the basic idea one doesn't like then that's fair, and it seems that's probably the case with this movie. I'm just more "meh" about it than anything else.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:25 pm

I'm with CX - I'm going to reserve judgment until after I've seen it.
Writing as TrekPyro.

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:07 pm

I'm taking a wait & see attitude to this movie I'm a TOS fan and am wary about a remake. Tomorrow at ComicCon Paramount and JJ Abrams are supposed to have some big announce about the movie and about what's going to happen in the movie and the remastered Tos dvds being released.It's supposed to be a media circus at this news conference Thursday.

Return to “General Chat”