Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Jedikatie
Commander
Commander
Show On Map: No

Re: Zachary Quinto as Spock in Trek XI

Postby Jedikatie » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:54 pm

^
I'm guessing Nimoy's appearance (and Shatner's non-appearance, since they said Generations precluded him being in the movie) means that it is set post-Generations, at least when Nimoy's on screen and my guess is that he's retelling his first adventure with some brash young captain (or whatever Kirk ends out being in the movie) to someone else, so the whole movie is basically one big flashback.
Was this the army that invaded your country, ma'am? No, officer, they were taller than that...

How about this one? I'm not sure--get them to march up and down a bit...

(From Terry Pratchett's Jingo)

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:58 pm

And post-GEN means that Spock by then would have finished his Romulan adventure?

I guess it would be too much to ask for them to actually tell us how that went. But then again, there was no mention of Spock in NEM either, and that was a movie about the Romulans. Vulcan WTF
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Jedikatie
Commander
Commander

Postby Jedikatie » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:04 pm

Beats me. I seem to recall that Spock thought it would take a number of years (if not decades) in order to convince the Romulans to reunify with Vulcan from the episodes on TNG... but it's been so long since I watched 'em, I couldn't tell you for sure. I've no idea when this movie is supposed to be set, all I know is what I read as a headline a few days ago at TrekBBS (I didn't read the article) where Shatner said he was out because of Generations, but Nimoy was in...
Was this the army that invaded your country, ma'am? No, officer, they were taller than that...

Shakabutt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Shakabutt » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:08 pm

The movies doesn't take in account any other Star Trek ,its a reboot ,Quinto is Spock ,Nimoy would be playing another carachter .

And they want Shatner in it as well ,as another carachter like Nimoy .

Jedikatie
Commander
Commander

Postby Jedikatie » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:18 pm

^
Shatner's already stated he's not in it. Here's the article:

Trek Nation article

ETA: and another--Today's article

Note in the second one that they speciifcally state that "they don't know how to bring (Kirk) into the movie as an older man" because of the events of Generations. And that Nimoy is "playing an older Spock." Not someone else, Spock. Therefore no reboot.

Still haven't seen anything to make me want to go, though..

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:32 pm

Trekweb has a transcript from yesterdays news conference there's a comment from Abrams he says that that T-shirts and movie posters at the convention will hint what at timeframe the movie takes place. Now that an interesting comment Trekmovie had from a Variety article. I still wonder about Spock though what timeframe Nimoy's Spock will appear sometime after Nemesis or before then.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:19 pm

It would be nice to have the movie show the young Spock just begining his Starfleet career, and his thoughts about Sarek, fresh from being disowned by his father for joining Starfleet. And then, it would be great to have a scene of the elder Spock return to Vulcan from the Romulan world to round out his life, making some sort of peace with his father's katra. Also I imagine Nimoy might like to make a final peace with his character. In his books "I Am Not Spock" and "I AM Spock", he admitted that he 'talked' to his character. I am not sure that Shatner had any such relationship with his Kirk character. Does anyone know how Shatner related to his character?
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:50 pm

From what I understand Leonard Nimoy has a large cameo part in the movie Trekmovie.s site has a great 2 part interview with Nimoy and one thing I agree with is what he complains about is all the endess techn obabble in modern trek tv series.That he says they used it too much in certain scenes and could have used more character scenes instead.

Shakabutt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Shakabutt » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:18 pm

Abrams picked the new Chekov :

He's kinda young :?

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:35 am

yes he's only 18.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:04 pm

Some comments from one of that Ain't It Cool News insiders about the new movie. Frankly, it leaves me even more indifferent than before if this is accurate.

AICN's Moriarty Speaks Trek

So let’s talk about STAR TREK.

JJ Abrams looms large on the pop culture landscape right now. Whether you love everything he’s done or not, he’s carved out a nice piece of the pie for himself, and part of that pie right now is getting to play with the biggest train sets that Paramount has. When they offered to bring him to the movie division, they did so knowing full well what they wanted from him: franchises and events. And if something can be both at once, even better.

And there are people that sneer at the sort of thing that Abrams does right now, but I’ve been pretty vocal about this for a while... I’m fascinated. There are things he’s been associated with that I’ve hated (REGARDING HENRY, for example), that I’ve been indifferent to (FELICITY), things I’ve loved (ALIAS, LOST). I think he obviously gets what kind of heavy lifting it takes to create a successful franchise event. And again... that sounds so calculated and clinical, but it’s not. It doesn’t have to be. You can decide you want to do a certain kind of big canvas movie, and you can do it with real passion and ambition. Even when I’ve disagreed passionately with the creative direction JJ Abrams took an existing property (his SUPERMAN draft), I’ve done so because I’m engaged by the way he makes choices. He’s not fucking around when he takes a property and rebuilds it. He’s going to make radical decisions, and they might work, or they might backfire, but they’re going to be bold choices. I think M:I:III was a warm-up. I enjoyed it, but it wasn’t really reinventing the wheel. He just made a solid M:I film, which is what he needed to do, basically.

I think he’s aiming higher with STAR TREK. And I think he’s making some of those big bold choices, and doing things that you wouldn’t think he’s doing. And I think there’s a chance STAR TREK fans are going to commit mass seppuku when they hear some of what he’s up to. Which is exactly what you’d expect when you’re making big choices.

The first question is...

No, actually; the only question is: why STAR TREK?

I’m hoping I get a chance to ask JJ exactly that. I wonder if it’s the opportunity for the exploration movies down the road. If this first one goes well, he’ll be able to make STAR TREK movies for the next ten or twelve years, easy. With his track record in TV, I’m sure Paramount would let him take it back to the small screen when the film franchise goes cold again. He could be doing this for the rest of his life in one way or another.

Or maybe it’s just a one-off. He’ll make a few of these and then hand it off to someone else. I don’t know. I don’t know how much he wants to do or how little.

Certainly, STAR TREK is about as stark a set of archetypes as you could ask for when doing a remake. It all depends on hiring the right young Kirk, young Spock, and young McCoy.

Those are your big three. You need that dynamic to be perfect so everything else falls into place. Most of the big drama happens in the friction between those three personalities. So obviously the first film is going to find a way to put those three people together. Right?

Sort of. Possibly.

Okay, first thing that surprised me: I think Leonard Nimoy is sort of the star of the movie. I think a lot of this movie is about Spock. Nimoy-aged Spock, mind you.

How?

Okay... you know the scene in BACK TO THE FUTURE 2? Where Doc Brown explains alternate timelines? Well, this is sort of... ummm... TREK TO THE FUTURE, I guess you would call it...

Picture an incident that throws a group of Romulans back in time. Picture that group of Romulans figuring out where they are in the timeline, then deciding to take advantage of the accident to kill someone’s father, to erase them from the timeline before they exist, thereby changing all of the TREK universe as a result. Who would you erase? Whose erasure would leave the biggest hole in the TREK universe is the question you should be asking.

Who else, of course, but James T. Kirk?

If Spock were in a position to change that incident back, and then in a position to guard that timeline and make sure things happen the way they’re supposed to, it creates...

... well, what does it create? Because evidently the plan is to use this second timeline as a way of rebooting without erasing or ignoring canon. These new voyages of the ENTERPRISE, they’re taking place in whatever timeline starts with this story. Maybe this timeline features dramatic differences. Like... say... if Vulcan were to be blown up. If the Vulcans in the series were suddenly the last of their kind, alone in the universe, it would change who they are and maybe even redefine their strict rejection of emotion in favor of logic.

You can introduce these Universe2 versions of classic TREK events and characters, and you can play with the audience’s expectation. Things have changed. Some things play out the way you expect… some don’t. It’s basically the same solution Marvel Comics has in terms of publishing, the way they use their ULTIMATES line to reboot continuity.

As a friend said when I was talking to him about this tonight, “Wait... so you’re saying they’re not just doing a square one reboot that would simplify everything, but that they’re actually making it... more complicated?”

It would appear so. Not that I think TREK fans mind complicated. It’s certainly not the safest choice if this is, in fact, the direction he goes with the film.

I’m not telling you that anything I said above is 100% set in stone. I don’t think Abrams is far enough along for that to be the case yet. But they are considering some really crazy reinventions, on par with some of the choices Abrams was making on SUPERMAN.

Who was the original captain of the ENTERPRISE?

I know the answer to that question in the canon STAR TREK universe right now... but will it be the same in the Abrams TREK universe?

Can you fundamentally alter one or more of the characters in that main trio, and still expect the same chemistry when you put the three characters together?

That’s the real question Abrams is going to have to face when he reveals his TREK next Christmas. I think you’d have to be crazy to bet against him, and I’m intrigued by some of these decisions, but I’m also willing to bet that even details as vague as the ones I’ve reported here today will cause a fair bit of debate. Abrams certainly doesn’t take low-profile gigs, and I guess that’s one of the reasons he’s gotten so good at trying to engage the audience early or in unconventional media ways. I’ll be curious to see how he gets the public ready for his version of TREK. What the images are we see first. How he sets the visual tone for the world. I hope it’s very classic TREK. I hope that’s something they embrace. The greatest visual representation of that ‘60s version of the universe, all Roddenberry optimistic with big giant philosophical ambition. Pop that aims a little higher. The Abrams sweet spot.

I’m sure we’ll have more on this as it develops.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:48 pm

Great Scott!

If only they had a "Doc Brown" type character in the actual story - you know, to make up for all the flat characters Trek has fed us over the years.
Writing as TrekPyro.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:50 pm

I'm rather discouraged here as well. It's still a reboot, and in my view,Abrams telling us that this is his way of respecting continuity is basically paying lip service, because this is still a reboot of the entire franchise. It's lame.

Anywho, there's a rumor over at IGN that not only mentions this, but also dicusses the possibility that Uhura has been cast.

Has Uhura Been Cast?
All the latest Star Trek buzz.
by Stax
US, August 30, 2007 - Actress Zoe Saldana (Haven, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl) has reportedly been offered the role of U.S.S. Enterprise communications officer Lt. Uhura in J.J. Abrams' Star Trek movie.

According to TrekMovie.com, "the deal is not yet final and one outstanding issue may be related to her schedule starring in the James Cameron sci-fi mega movie Avatar which is still in production. Sources indicate that Avatar will be doing location shooting starting in October and Star Trek is slated to start shooting in November."

The site points out that Saldana has a connection to J.J. Abrams "as she was in two episodes in the recent ABC series Six Degrees produced by Abrams and fellow Star Trek producer Bryan Burk."

Meanwhile, Ain't it Cool News claims that the plot for the new Trek film deals with alternate timelines. A group of Romulans will reportedly go back in time to kill off James T. Kirk, and the elder Spock (to once again be played by Leonard Nimoy) must do what he can to prevent that incident and change the timelines back.

According to AICN, "the plan is to use this second timeline as a way of rebooting without erasing or ignoring canon. These new voyages of the Enterprise, they're taking place in whatever timeline starts with this story. ... It's basically the same solution Marvel Comics has in terms of publishing, the way they use their Ultimates line to reboot continuity."
[/QUOTE]

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:58 pm

A reboot by any other name is still a reboot... :doubt:
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:02 am

Isn't ANYONE in Hollywuss capable of doing anything original? Anything at ALL!? :bitch:
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Return to “General Chat”