Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Too many chiefs.

Postby Silverbullet » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:21 am

As soon as my body allows it I am going to do an essay on this interesting subject. Look for it, or don't

Sb
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Kotik

Re: Too many chiefs.

Postby Kotik » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:23 am

How are you Tom? Did they nail yer ol' bones back together ? :D

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:15 pm

Kotik, sometimes I am making progress ad at other times I have relapses. Frustrating.

Problem is that I have develped Diabetic retonotpathy (sp). I causes great pain in my feet and legs. Nothing will stop it.

Has prevented me from finhising some stories and writng this essay. When I walk it is as if I am walking on razor blades. so, I sit in m wheel chair or am on my bed.

Have essay more or less written n my head.

right now sitting in front of the compter is too painful.

When that subsides I will write again, hopefullly.

Am not going to edit this as my eyes are also giving me problems. MY visiion is dim at best right now.

Tom

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:20 pm

I'm intrigued to know what you mean by 'too many chiefs'. I think there was only one person know as 'Chief' on Enterprise and that was Trip. (I'm not sure even that was in canon.)

If you mean in the general sense of 'too many chiefs, not enough indians' then I guess you mean there are too many senior ranking officers for the size of crew. Well, I guess Reed and Hayes would agree with you there. But apart from that childishness it didn't seem to be a general problem.

So, I'll look forward to your essay to explain what you mean.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:27 pm

Cogito, no I mean too damn many Producers in many series for one thing. e.g. in one episode of Ncis they had 13 producers.Too many. a few excutive producers. they would stumble over one another.

In the od days, Say in series like Maverick, wagon trin, etc they had one 91) produccer. EVeryone else was a go fer.

Upi gobvee aman a title and he wants the salary of that title. A go fer isn't paid much but a producers is.

More producers mre salary and less money fo rhte episode. so, the commercial time is extended to increase the income. Less program time.

There is more,

I really don't feel like writing right now.

Take care (NO edite)

Tom

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:57 pm

There's an Italian saying. Too many cooks spoil in the kitchen.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:26 pm

I wonder what being a "producer" actually means, though. Title inflation is rampant. I did some work with a major bank. Everybody was a "vice president".

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:28 pm

I concur. I mean I don't think that the producers have as much power as the network executives. I'm pretty sure it isn't like the movies.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:48 pm

Believe that what are not titled Producers used to be Go'Fer's. Now they hava a title of some kind.

I have watched films, War movies, Westerns, etc which needed a lot of cosumes, scenery, and the lot. Two, producers. Actually one producer and one assistant, "go'fer

Somehow that one producers got everything done. Now there are Executive Producers. Supervising producers (many) and some others. As I said one Ncis episode had 13 producers.

Asso, we have a saying "too many cooks spoil the broth"

In the rehab center I was in they were using patients rooms for office space. Getting more chiefs in. They will soon be top heavy.Too many chiefs and not enough workers.

SB

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:48 pm

Gofers and the like are called PAs -- I think that's short for production assistants.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:40 pm

I never follow all those names that wiz past at the end of a film, can anyone explain how it works?

I've figured out that 'best boy' and 'gaffer' are real jobs, and the director is the chap with the megaphone who yells 'action' and 'cut' and so on. Is The Producer the one who does all the commercial stuff like actually getting the money and selling it once it's been made? Because I've noticed there seem to be lots of different production companies involved with some movies, and I guess this reflects the complex way companies collaborate to fund and distribute the film. Is this why there are so many producers these days?

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:06 am

Producer (used to be) the guy who made things work. He relieved the director of anything but directing the film, the writers were able to concentrate onwriting. He was the shaker and mover.

I have no idea what a supervising Producer is but enterprise had a lot of them in some episodes.

You get too many people running things they trip all over ne another. they all wnat their version to be used. Messy.

I guess itis a fad these days to have a whole bunch of producers.

SB

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:57 am

Cogito wrote:I never follow all those names that wiz past at the end of a film, can anyone explain how it works?

I've figured out that 'best boy' and 'gaffer' are real jobs, and the director is the chap with the megaphone who yells 'action' and 'cut' and so on. Is The Producer the one who does all the commercial stuff like actually getting the money and selling it once it's been made? Because I've noticed there seem to be lots of different production companies involved with some movies, and I guess this reflects the complex way companies collaborate to fund and distribute the film. Is this why there are so many producers these days?

Yes. For movies, if you pitch in enough money, you're a producer. And then there are the real producers, too.

In TV it seems that once you have any standing at the studio beyond "writer" (maybe even including "writer") you're a producer of some kind. I know that when I got paid for Voyager, I got a notification with all sorts of people and associated production companies listed on it for folks I had assumed worked directly for Paramount, but instead they all seemed to have their own individual production contracts with the studio.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Return to “General Chat”