Slightly unusual question

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kotik

Slightly unusual question

Postby Kotik » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:18 pm

For the Paganfest in March I'm searching for a celtic or viking outfit. Chainmail with a horned viking helmet would do as well. Has anyone any idea, where to get something like that these days?

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Show On Map: No

Re: Slightly unusual question

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:10 am

You know, Vikings never actually had horned helmets... :doubt:
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:20 am

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:You know, Vikings never actually had horned helmets... :doubt:

I know, they used them horns to drink out of them :lol: I have two alco-horns and a wrecked liver already, I need two of them bull-horns attached to a steel helmet. It's the cliché :D

Grrr
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Grrr » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:28 am

Like this
http://www.renasleather.com/helmets.html
or do you want me to look for steel ones. I may actually know people who make chainmail.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:26 pm

Chainmail can get expensive. A metal plate studded leather jerkin might be less costly and I think more authentic. Only nobles (and I guess Vikings that pillaged from nobles) had chainmail. When I'm done with work today I'll research some historical recreation clothing sites for you. When do you need it by?
Image sig by chrisis1033

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:38 pm

I used to work with somebody who was into all this stuff. He made weapons and did all the medieval re-enactments. He worked at the Globe too.

If it's authentic chainmail, you probably won't want to wear it for longer than a couple of minutes cos it's heavy and uncomfortable. And you won't want to leave it anywhere 'cos it's bleeding expensive. And it rusts quickly so it needs cleaning in sand every day or so which is hard work. Unless this is for something that particularly has to be authentic, I think you might be better off raiding fancy dress shops for a 'Norse pillager' outfit.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:17 pm

Here's the Viking page from the place I usually order my SCA stuff from. Dunno how affordable it'll be to ship to Germany, though.

http://www.museumreplicas.com/s-10-viking.aspx
Image sig by chrisis1033

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:36 pm

Distracted wrote:Chainmail can get expensive. A metal plate studded leather jerkin might be less costly and I think more authentic. Only nobles (and I guess Vikings that pillaged from nobles) had chainmail. When I'm done with work today I'll research some historical recreation clothing sites for you. When do you need it by?

Historic accuracy is not the goal. The Paganfest is on March 16th. I thank you all for your ideas. Meanwhile I've found a shop, who sells this stuff at Battle Merchant. The idea behind the costume is, that it is more impressive than a baggy Eluveitie shirt and - more importantly - spin kickers in the mosh pit think twice before bashing your teeth in, if you wear armour and a horned helmet. :reddawn:

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:04 pm

I can't pretend to understand mosh pits, but isn't that the wrong place to be if you don't want to get hurt? I kinda assumed that was the point of going there.
:?
:lol:

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:38 pm

No, the purpose of the mosh pit is to release aggression, but contrary to what it looks like, it has extremely strict rules. Falling down is not exactly uncommon, especially after a wall of death, but no mosher would continue, before helping the fallen back on his feet. Unfortunately in recent years, people started playing Bruce Lee in the mosh pit and ignore the rules. These people, indeed do get hurt, because they usually go home in the ambulance, while injuries for moshers, who adhere to the moshers code are very rare.

People, who break the rules are usually beaten up on the spot. It looks like a crazy mob, but if people respect the rules it is a surprisingly safe activity. Of course you go home with a few bruises, but serious injuries are rare.

Return to “General Chat”