Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Re: The Whine thread.

Postby Alelou » Wed May 29, 2013 4:54 pm

Moving away from the sensitive to the more mundane... I was just checking the soundness of our balcony decking before I start scraping the peeling stain off and half a board immediately cracked and fell one storey to the ground.

Guess I won't need to scrape THAT one. There's another one that's clearly needs to be replaced, too.

The list of projects got both longer in some areas and shorter in others after a visit from our real estate agent last night. I'm glad for once that I'm planning ahead. I"m also applying for a full-time job that could save us from the move, but I imagine every adjunct in the capital region is doing the same, so I'm not going to get too excited about it.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Wed May 29, 2013 5:41 pm

Our ceiling was leaking last week from all of the rain. We called a roofer and the entire roof needs to be redone. It's just one of many things that need work. Sigh.

Are you moving, Alelou? I hope not too far away, if you do. I still find it amazing that we live only 3 miles from one another and were posting on the same forum. What are the odds in such a small town?

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Wed May 29, 2013 7:51 pm

I know.

Yes, we're planning to downsize. The plan is to put the house up for sale next March. I'd like to stay in the area, though with Alejandro graduated it's not critical. If we hit the lottery between then and now these plans could change...
Image.Image

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:04 pm

Upstate New York! I grew up in the Rochester area back when the dinosaurs... Well, maybe not quite that long ago, but my grandkids think so. I still have relatives in the Rochester area and one brother living in Hartwick, N.Y. near Cooperstown. We had a family reunion at a cottage on Cayuga Lake this summer. Twisted my knee, so didn't get around much during the reunion and it was a long drive back to Wisconsin - mostly on cruise control to pamper the knee. Next time I come east, maybe I could visit some of my Tris friends who live in New York State!
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:29 pm

It's easy to hit me and Bether in the same little town! With enough warning maybe we could get JustTripn to drive up and join us.
Image.Image

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:31 am

Sometimes God decides that I am too comfortable, soooooo

Had to head down to SE Michigan (House #1) for a few days, couple of appointments, few chores to do and closer to Cincinnati for the nephew's next start (MLB). The wifey and I strip and clean the deck to prep it for new stain. Did you know that you need 72 rain-free hours to stain a deck? So come Saturday the 7th its clean and we're ready so of course it rains, Oh and the Cubbies bring a pitcher back from the DL and go to a 6 man rotation. Now the kid's start is not at 12:30 in the afternoon on Wednesday, nope its Thursday at 7:00 in Pittsburgh, so much for going to the game. Rains Sunday into Monday so now deck-staining is rescheduled for Wednesday. Watching the weather says ok 40% chance of rain and no rain on Thurs or Friday. Safe bet we wait. Good thing. Major thunderstorm blows through Wed (would have wrecked the stain) and power goes out. No biggie fire up the generator. God loves me and it works, no problem...Of course next morning i let Ruby the wonder beast (my yellow lab) out for her morning routine and she meanders over to the middle of the back yard and squats. RIGHT NEXT TO THE DOWN PRIMARY POWER LINE!! I didn't poop my pants but was able to get her to cease and move my way. No damage done other than my cardiac infarction. next stain day is now Saturday assuming no rain. I head back north because of course it is going to rain Sat (It Does) and forgot that MSU has a home game in Lansing and end up in the friggin traffic for about an hour.
So now I am back home up in NW Michigan and have the calls out to the various fishing buddies and can get back to fan fic -see God loves me, just likes to make me squirm once in a while....
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:44 am

So glad you didn't have a barbequed pooch, Weeble.

I can't decide whether this should be a whine or not. I feel gypped in a way, but at the same time sort of relieved. I've been working as the second doc at a college health center for the past 10 years, expecting that eventually I'd take over as departmental director, replacing the doctor who hired me when she retires. Well, she's retiring in December, but instead of making me departmental director, I found out today that the university admins have decided to completely restructure the Student Health Clinic to make it part of the "Wellness Center". Instead of being separate departments, the Counseling Department and the Student Health Clinic will now be together under the directorship of an MBA "Executive Director of the Wellness Center", hopefully with business/administrative experience if the university can afford to offer a salary that will attract an experienced candidate. So my job now as Medical Director of the clinic under the authority of the Departmental Director will remain basically unchanged, except that my boss will be an MBA type instead of another doctor. This could be a good thing, in that I won't need to worry about things like payroll, hiring, and firing and I'll be able to concentrate on taking care of the students, but at the same time, it could become a nightmare if my new boss tries to tell me how to run the clinic without any knowlege of the way the clinic works. Scary.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:36 am

Ah, just intimidate the hell out of him or her with your MD. This is the kind of job likely to attract someone who wants out of the corporate rat race anyway.

But it's also typical of colleges these days to go after an MBA instead of someone with knowledge of the field, and at a salary that might be higher than they would have paid the two of you combined. Next they'll start turning the staff into part-time adjuncts so they don't have to pay benefits, because MBA's only care about the bottom line.
Image.Image

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:53 pm

Tell them you want to run the department and you'll go get an MBA (at their expense). You never know, they might go for it. You have the experience already, once you add the credential you're golden :-).

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:50 am

Spent a good hour editing a chapter using the editor on fanfiction.net. Went to save it and the stupid thing prompted me to log back in. All edits lost. I'm going to bed a very cranky woman.
Writing as TrekPyro.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:02 am

This is why I only ever write or do any edits in a Word document before copy-pasting it into the online spot. ;)

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:18 pm

Don't worry, CX. Lesson learned. At least it wasn't a sex scene since those are a bitch to edit :)
Writing as TrekPyro.

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:48 pm

That's very naughty behavior by FF. I just posted a chapter and it looks like they improved the Word import a bit. It used to have a nasty habit of putting comments and old changes into the posted document.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:23 am

:cry: :cry: The hardest part of waiting for some one to help you with something is ... the wait. The problem is with most things I can take action myself, but not in this case. Time passes by and nothing happens. :banghead: It really drags me down and gets on my nerves.

Any way, thanks for listening and now I am off to do something useful like writing that review about ST Into the Darkness that I had planned for so long or making breakfast....
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:25 pm

Panyasan, I know how waiting can be! I hope you get the help you want soon. Waiting is a bore. That is why I always carry a book with me when waiting for anything.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Return to “General Chat”