The Whine thread.

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Re: The Whine thread.

Postby Weeble » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:25 pm

I guess i forgot to include the coffee. 2 cups of Yirgacheffe (African - Ethiopian) first thing upon discovery of consciousness. I also have to consume 60 oz of water everyday, coffee and beer do not count either....
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Asso
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Postby Asso » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:37 pm

dialee wrote:Asso,

I bet you and your wife go dancing alot, you being so jittery and all :D I don't think I've ever met anyone who drinks that much coffee. Please don't tell me it's decaff, that would ruin it all. :lol:

Decaf? :? What means decaf? :shifty:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:59 am

Asso, you must have the same gene for ignoring caffeine as my husband. He can have a cup of espresso and take a nap. I would be up for the next six hours. In fact, since he and I shared a cafe latte on our drive home from NJ this evening and I also had two cups of coffee at my stepdaughter's house in addition to my usual English tea in the morning, I probably won't get to sleep at a reasonable hour tonight. But whatever. It's Saturday.

Yeah, I've seen research suggesting supplemental calcium is not our friend, too, which makes me feel good for ignoring the doctor's advice to take it all these years. I stopped taking multivitamins years ago, too, though if they had come in chewy candy form I might have kept at it. I hate swallowing big fat pills, and I hate the aftertaste and I hate the fairly frequent sensation that they are stuck in my throat. And judging from the way chewables are taking over the adult market, I'm not the only one.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:33 pm

My chirocracker's explanation on the calcium came a couple of years ago. Apparently a lack of it will impact regulation of blood flow into muscle groups, I was having shoulder trouble. I just kept taking it although I found the smallest pill I could find. Needless to say the problem went away. It's great when you can get solid advice. Of course I still don't like all the water.
Coffee doesn't keep me up at night. I rarely drink any soda, but if i do i will be up forever. The sugar just keeps me buzzin'

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:38 pm

Alelou wrote:Asso, you must have the same gene for ignoring caffeine as my husband. He can have a cup of espresso and take a nap....

Mh ... could it be the sleep accumulated over time? :doubt:

And then the sleep (hunger) had more
Power than even caffeine (sorrow) over me
Dante Alighieri, Inferno XXXIII
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:24 pm

I had a test for bone loss a couple of years ago which showed some loss. Also, I was having twinges in my spine. So I started taken calcium with vitamin D and Fosamax. The twinges went away. Recently I had another bone loss test and the bone loss had diminished.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:29 pm

Glad it helped, but are you still on the Fosamax? It can be dangerous long-term. My mother got necrosis of the jaw, which is linked with taking that. Long bone fractures are another risk. (I know that seems to run against logic, but the link is there.)
Image.Image

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Sun May 12, 2013 10:21 pm

Alright who among you has decided to curse Michigan's spring this year, I figure its the Cajun herself Dis :evillol: . First the winter is longer and colder than usual, then the rain all but wipes out steelhead season :bitch: . Suddenly the weather improves, happy little bugs aka trout food start doing their bug thing. I get a call from a friend who wants to go do a nice river float where we can chase some big brown trout. Got the spot, the boat and the technique. The weather is supposed to to out at 50 deg and light rain 40% chance. Cloudy all day (trout like cloudy) Its gonna be perfect.
An hour into the float (its an 8 hour float) it is obvious that someone has been poking their Weeble voodoo doll. Temp begins too fall. Rain decides to skip past maybe light and goes to heavy and pouring. Soon its 34 deg and snowing, hard. Hours later we emerge from the river. My friend is slightly hypothermic and not making tons of sense. Scramble to get him to the house and into a hot shower. Yours truly thanks God that I chose to put on some extra clothing figuring you can always take it off. Regardless I am a bit cold myself and worst of all only a few fish came out to play in the sideways blowing blinding snow.
Ok DIs i apologize for whatever I did, please lose the voodoo doll. :bow: Lift the bad weather curse. I am getting the shakes due to lack of fish.....

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sun May 12, 2013 10:56 pm

:patpat: (with a blanket)
Image.Image

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon May 13, 2013 12:19 am

Nope. Not me. Sorry. No voodoo here. There is such a thing as a prayer for protection from storms, though. You could try that. 8)

http://ingodscompany2.blogspot.com/2012/10/prayer-for-protection-from-hurricanes.html?m=1
Image sig by chrisis1033

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Mon May 27, 2013 6:03 pm

*sigh* There are times I really wished I could turn off feelings. Instead, I continue to pine after one of my friends, even though I know nothing will ever happen between us, and frankly, she's been too busy to even visit with for some time now. And even though I know she's just busy, I can't help but feel hurt sometimes when she turns down invitations to social gatherings with our other friends. :(

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Tue May 28, 2013 9:13 pm

Yeah. But stuffing all that mushy stuff to the back of one's brain isn't always the best solution. Docs learn "clinical detachment" in med school. It's supposed to enable us to deal with the emotional turmoil inherent in the profession. Doesn't work, for the most part. Either it works too well and we become cold and arrogant or it's not enough. There's a reason why docs have higher suicide, heart attack, and stroke rates than the general population.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue May 28, 2013 9:45 pm

Distracted wrote:Yeah. But stuffing all that mushy stuff to the back of one's brain isn't always the best solution. Docs learn "clinical detachment" in med school. It's supposed to enable us to deal with the emotional turmoil inherent in the profession. Doesn't work, for the most part. Either it works too well and we become cold and arrogant or it's not enough. There's a reason why docs have a higher suicide, heart attack, and stroke rates than the general population.

Yeah. :?

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Wed May 29, 2013 12:17 pm

I'm sorry this is painful for you, CX. :( Can you focus on your feelings as a part of your caring self? It always helps me to know that I'm a caring and loving person and these are my gifts. It might also be worth considering why you feel attracted to someone who isn't available.

I think it's best to try to find a balance between detachment and involvement, at least for me. I'm very sensitive and I have to watch my boundaries to not take on the pain of others, but I also need to stay true to my caring self. I feel I help best when I am able to achieve a healthy balance with that. Not an easy task. Maybe it would help those in the medical field to have someone to talk with about the feelings that come up when treating patients? Can't be easy...

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Wed May 29, 2013 1:07 pm

The literature is clear that medical professionals do better emotionally when they're in intimate relationships with other medical professionals. The reason seems to be exactly what Bether pointed out. It's much easier when there's someone to talk to who understands.

Hey, CX. Maybe you need to find a friend who's in a similar situation and get together to bitch about your exes and share a half gallon of Rocky Road. Or since you're a guy I guess it'll be a six pack instead. 8)
Image sig by chrisis1033

Return to “General Chat”