Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Entilzha
Captain
Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: The Whine thread.

Postby Entilzha » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:56 pm

I think my company has a too good of a name because I got woken up this morning by a call from the US for some investment BS. I was sleeping and It's a national holiday over here and It is so nice to wake up for a telemarketer(sarcasm). As soon as I heard the voice I ended the call. It's the 3rd time I immediately recognized the voice. I've also been called from Hongkong twice. I have no idea how these people find me. It's bad enough I have to fend off telemarketers from my own country I don't want to fend them off internationally.
You live for The One, you die for The One.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:06 pm

YIKES!
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:32 pm

I believe on thing that hampered ENT ws that TPTB (perhaps Bragga) believed the Demographics of his viewers were 14 year old boys who wanted to see JB (Jeri ryan before her in voyager) prancing around in a skin tight Catsuit. Also wanted a one Gary Stu Hero series so they could relate to the Hero as young boys will do. Unfortunately, the real demographics of ENT were mid-20's males and femals,, many who had served in the military. By the early episodes they were put off and left the series which accounts for the nosedive it took in the ratings. Manny Coto might have reversed that if he had been left in sole charge of te series without anyone looking over his shoulder (read Bragga, Sussman and the suits) What might have been a great prequal to TOS was squandred by a pale imitation of it. Just change the Vulcan XO and Science Officer from a male to a female and the third person from McCoy to the Chief Engineer. Then concentrating solely on the Gary Stu Hero.

If a series cannot provide advertisers with bodies they go elsewhere. Low rating and low class advertisers.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:18 pm

Damn, for the last couple of days my nasal passages and sinuses have been very dry and kind of sore. Anyone know what might be causing that and how to deal with it (other than just sucking it up, like I have been)? Everything I've read online indicates a lack of humidity, but as it is quite humid in North Dakota during the summer, that definitely isn't the problem.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:20 pm

I'm not playing doctor here, just concerned friend, but it sounds like your sinuses are irritated, CX. Did you try a saline nasal spray to moisten your nasal passages? Ibuprofen works pretty well for sinus pressure pain if you're not allergic and your stomach can handle it. Just eat with it.

Check for fever and see your doc if you get it. Sinus infections can irritate your sinuses. They're usually caused by viruses and go away within a week or so but sometimes antibiotics are needed. Chemical fumes and smoke of all sorts can also cause sinus irritation. Just so you know.
Image sig by chrisis1033

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:08 am

Haven't tried any kind of spray yet. I have no known allergies, so it's not an allergic reaction, and there's no pressure either - it just feels kind of raw/sore. I don't recall being exposed to smoke or any harsh chemicals, but I suppose I could have gotten a whiff of something at the lab. I might suspect virus, but usually that's accompanied by sore throat for me, and my throat has been normal.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:42 pm

*shrug* I'd try the saline, then, and wait it out. You'll be well in a week if it's viral. If not, see your doc.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:37 pm

I have looooooooong suffered with sinusitis. My ENT put me on a short course of prednisone and that really helped for a few months. Supposed to use Nasonex daily but I either forget, or I just give up because it doesn't help much. So I take pseudophed sometimes and advil sometimes, and I am ashamed to admit that I frequently become dependant on over the counter nasal sprays. I try not to squirt more than once a day before I go to sleep. I am considering having a procedure to open my airways in my nose and sinuses. It's kind of like an angioplasty for the nose. Last time I went to the doc he said I am 75% blocked in one nostril and 95% blocked in the other. :crazed:

So, CX, I feel for you. Take care!

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:51 pm

My chest is feeling a bit congested, so I guess this was viral. This is a bit of a new one for me - usually when a cold comes on, my throat is what gets sore first.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:30 pm

I guess this isn't technically a whine, more like me just scratching my head in confusion. So I bought some cupcakes at the market yesterday because baking isn't one of my talents and I have a sweet tooth. So I'm wondering why I have to pay for cupcakes with plastic stars stuck in them for decoration. Is this like cake with a really lame toy thrown in for good measure. I don't need plastic in my cupcakes. Unfortunately when you can't bake you must buy what the store provides.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:41 pm

How big are these plastic things? They sound like the sort of thing that would be marketed for children, so it sounds a bit dodgy sticking (presumably) non-edible bits of plastic in them. Aren't there alternatives available without the plastic stuff? Here in the UK you can get seasonal cakes and birthday cakes and so on with decorations, but normal cakes don't come with any of that stuff.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:31 pm

There these plastic stars on a sitck you yank the stick out and the icing comes off. Rather irritating. :roll:

Fics

CaptainBoiz
Cadet
Cadet

Postby CaptainBoiz » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:52 pm

blacknblue wrote:Why do so many authors, especially TV writers, insist on writing female characters as cowardly wimps?

I was watching CBS tonight, that show about the FBI profiler team, I forget the name of it. Anyway, the villain of the week was a satanic serial killer (how quaint). This young hiker goes into the women's rest room of a park and walks into a stall. We see her take off her back pack and turn around. Then suddenly she sees a pair of men's boots appear under the edge of the door. She screams shrilly. Fade to black.

Please. Spare me.

Was there no possibility of showing her pulling out a gun from that backpack? Or a hunting knife? Or a tazer? Or a billy club? Or a police baton? Or a piece of chain? Or a piece of pipe? Or some pepper spray? Or a loud whistle? Or *gasp* a CELL PHONE and start dialing 911?

Shit. No way. that would require not only some effort and thought, it would require acknowledging that women are capable of acting like rational Humans. Egad, what a concept.

Reminds me of one old lady (true story) who lived around my my old stomping grounds. She heard a prowler on her porch. Went and got her shotgun. Sonuvabitch stuck his leg through her front window and started climbing through. She shot the leg with a load of buckshot. When the cops arrived, they found the perp on her porch, unconscious, bleeding like a stuck pig with a load of buckshot in his thigh. Law in that area says the homeowner has the right to shoot someone if they are inside their living space. The old woman claimed, with a straight face, that she only shot the part of him that was inside her house. The local prosecuter didn't bother to even try to make a case. He would have been laughed out of court.

Yeah., I think she should bring some defense weapons., kind of or know martial arts a bit. It's kind of nice to apply it to someone who do you think would do bad to you. Pepper Spray really rocks also at my point of view. :spiraleyes: :clap: :evilmonkey:
Women can stand a beating except when it is with their own billy club weapon.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:27 pm

Love that story. You go, guurl!
Image sig by chrisis1033

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:41 pm

CaptainBoiz. It has come a long way since I was a young man. Back then the female lead would faint dead away at the first sight of the villan. When she was running she always twisted her ankle. She would have to be carried. all in all more of a libility. They would be told to sit and look pretty and leave the heroics to the men.

Times do change. women in today's Tv (as in NCIS, Ziva) are tough and fighters. They don't faint, rarely (fact is I haven't seen it in years) twist their ankle while running.

I would pity anyone who told Ziva to sit and look pretty while the men did the heroics. That guy could kiss tmmorrow goodbye.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Return to “General Chat”