Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Show On Map: No

Re: The Whine thread.

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:06 pm

I've strained my back. :evil: Now I really feel old...
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:25 am

Ugh. :( Hope it recovers quickly. Ibuprofen!
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:31 am

That really blows! Feel better soon, KTR.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:41 am

Don't feel bad...tomorrow I have to pick up my new prescription bifocals. Now I'm near-sighted and far-sighted. Hair is going gray etc.etc.... :doubt: I hope your back feels better soon. :(

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:27 pm

Thanks!

Well, my back is feeling much better today. Hopefully the strain will be gone tomorrow. :?
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:42 pm

Well

I stopped taking the cough syrup today because it made me constipated and made my mouth taste like metal. :? :upchuck: Not to mention that it's like totally disgusting. :upchuck: I still feel like dren :( I just ate an orange and I'm still really hungry. Even though I had like 3 peanut butter sandwiches for breakfast. But yesterday I didn't eat much. Anyway I'm hungry and I don't know what to eat because I don't really feel like eating anything, my mouth still tastes like metal a little bit and I just feel yuck. I want chocolate :(
ImageImage

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:48 am

Just had a huge pile of ice cream. With chocolate syrup :D

Still hungry :? :( :explode:
ImageImage

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:11 am

^Ice cream fixes everything.

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:13 am

Everything except for hunger apparently :? :explode:
ImageImage

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:16 am

You simply didn't eat enough!! 8) :lol:

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:32 am

FRELLING RETARD DUDE STARTED SMOKING RIGHT OUTSIDE MY ROOM. TOLD HIM TO FRELLING GO DOWNSTAIRS TO THE SMOKING ROOM HE'S LIKE "OH I DIDN'T KNOW", BS THE OFFICE PEOPLE TELL EVERYONE AND ALSO THERE'S A FRELLING SIGN LIKE RIGHT NEXT TO HIM WTF, WELL NOW HE'S GONE BUT MY ROOM'S STILL A FRELLING SMOKE CHAMBER AND I'M COUGHING MY POOR LITTLE LUNGS OUT. LEARN TO READ AND LISTEN YOU FRELLING RETARD. :evil: :bitch: :censored: :explode:
ImageImage

Bookworm
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Bookworm » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:29 pm

Thanks for the comments about the oddness thing. It is nice to hear sometimes that it isn't a bad thing. Most of the time I feel like that myself, but then sometimes it gets tiresome to feel out of place all the time. There is just this huge gap between me and most of the people. I don't understand them and they don't understand me. I say things that I think are just natural and normal and I get odd reactions from people.

Well fortunately it's almost Christmas one of my favorite holidays so I'm feeling happier and not worrying about things for a few days.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:58 pm

Bookworm wrote:Thanks for the comments about the oddness thing. It is nice to hear sometimes that it isn't a bad thing. Most of the time I feel like that myself, but then sometimes it gets tiresome to feel out of place all the time. There is just this huge gap between me and most of the people. I don't understand them and they don't understand me. I say things that I think are just natural and normal and I get odd reactions from people.

Boy does THAT ever sound familiar!

My boss at my last salon told me I had a propensity to "talk over" people, and that he was "hesitant" to tell me to "dumb it down a little, but..." WTF??!!

For one thing, it's not like I'm talking about physics or anything super-technical to people. Yes, sometimes my vocabulary is a little more colorful than some people's...but it's not like every other thing I say is a 50 cent word! I talked to my friend Maria about it (she also worked there) and she said it was more about the boss's inability to keep up with me than anyone else's, and that it wasn't my fault for paying attention in school when he obviously didn't! (And she's right; the owner did NOT like strong women, he felt threatened by people he perceived to be smarter than him, and the few times I stood up to him on things he shut right up because he had no idea what to do.)

Big surprise I don't work there any more, huh?? :lol:

Any way, that's one thing I've appreciated about Trek fandom, that you generally find acceptance no matter what. Maybe not so much now that Trek has become so mainstream, but in the 70s and 80s the "Trekkie" stigma was a lot stronger, and the one recurring theme you found when you got to know other fans is that we all pretty much felt like the square peg in the round hole around non-fans, at least a good part of the time. Now more "regular" people seem to admit to liking Star Trek, it isn't so un-cool to be a fan any more. 8)

Okay, time to go wrap my last present for the "secret Santa" thing at work. We're supposed to do the gift exchange tomorrow, but my giftee is going to New York for the Christmas holiday, so I actually picked up a shift today just so I could work with him and give him his gift before he goes.

Bookworm
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Bookworm » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:35 pm

Aquarius wrote:the owner did NOT like strong women, he felt threatened by people he perceived to be smarter than him

That is something I run into many times too and it's not like I actually feel a lot smarter and different than some of those people that give me that kind of attitude that I'm too smart. But another annoying thing is that then there are also those people that think that I'm genious or something and they think it's the most wonderful thing in the world and they put me into some kind of pedestal and expect something amazing from me and I don't really know what, because I definitely am not a genious or what ever they think I am.

What appealed to me when I met my hubby was that he allowed me to be what I am and doesn't make a big deal if I'm a bit odd or talk something he doesn't understand. He never tries to compete with me and he doesn't get angry if I find something easy and learn fast.

Even some of my friends have sometimes been angry when I didn't study for some exam at school and got good grades. And they joke that I live in a world of my own and things like that.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:45 pm

Your husband sounds like a real keeper! :D

People have the misconception that I'm super smart sometimes, too. The thing is, I'm really not. I can't do much more than basic math--I can only do percents and fractions in my head because of all the years of working retail management, but if I hadn't done that, I'd barely be able to balance a checkbook. I can't even do simple algerbra.

I just think about stuff a lot, I read a lot, and I like to have fun with language...hence the vocabulary that my boss didn't like. I try to apply common sense and critical thinking whenever possible...which, granted, sometimes seems in short supply in this world, so maybe that makes me stand out too. :wink:

Have you ever seen a movie called Idiocracy? The humor is a little low-brow, but something tells me you'll really appreciate the message. The best way I can describe it is "Buck Rogers on acid." It takes place 500 years in the future, and it shows what happens when people stop thinking for themselves and stop valuing education and common sense. I think it flopped at the box office, but I thought it was alternately hilarious and accurate. 8)

Return to “General Chat”