So the rest of Canada is laughing at us...

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian
Show On Map: No

So the rest of Canada is laughing at us...

Postby enterprikayak » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:35 pm

It's the annual comic relief scenario for the rest of Canada: watching us on the southwest coast get our 2.3 days of snow! Yeehah!

A writer for one of the papers in the region recently published this:

Jack Knox wrote:Gosh, winter in January, couldn't have seen that coming. It never snows in Victoria, except when it does, every year. Apparently Victorians were blindsided by the forecast: when I drove by a tire shop Saturday, it looked like the panicked mob scene outside the U.S. Embassy just before the fall of Saigon in 1975.

But that's OK. It just means we on the coast are fulfilling our purpose in life: to provide comic relief for the real Canada, the one with the block heater cords, square tires and sheets of cardboard shoved between the radiator and the grille of the car. It's not a lot of fun enduring the frozen misery that is January in Violated Livestock, Saskatchewan, so watching Victorians go into earthquake/tsunami/Armageddon mode at the first wintry dusting helps relieve the gloom.

LOLOLOL! We've only got about 4 inches now, and the entire city has gone into lockdown. Last night there was some ice on the roads, and there were about 100 slow-velocity crashes due to the fact that we pigheadedly drive about with bald racing tires all year and also have no clue how to drive in the snow. Everyone I know is taking a snow day off from work, and all the schools are closed.

Here's a couple of pictures outside the house this morning. I'm sure you folks in the midwest will laugh as well.

(also, we like to pretend we are Little London so we have double decker buses.)

|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: So the rest of Canada is laughing at us...

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Well all I gotta say is I'm very disappointed. I'm in the land of Anne, and have been hearing tales of wintery snow, and nothing. Where is this Canadian snow I've heared so much about. I thought this was "the great white north" what gives!
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:57 pm

Wow, four inches of snow in a single week? Here, that would give us headlines like:
National headlines wrote:Killer storm, thousands dead or stranded, or decided to stay at home and not risk it ....

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:05 pm

Seriously! Don't you get snow in England? I mean we don't get much at home, but we get some at least.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:05 pm

WarpGirl wrote:Well all I gotta say is I'm very disappointed. I'm in the land of Anne, and have been hearing tales of wintery snow, and nothing. Where is this Canadian snow I've heared so much about. I thought this was "the great white north" what gives!

Um, PEI is about 2700 miles away from me. I don't know what their weather is today. lol I live in the warmest part of canada, and we don't. do. snow. :D
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:07 pm

<sigh> Oh well, your pictures are pretty.

Fics

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:55 pm

Snow? Pshaw. We panic and shut the schools down on rainy days where the forecast calls for ice and sleet down here. I don't think you can even buy snow tires south of Hot Springs. LOL.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:28 pm

enterprikayak wrote:
Jack Knox wrote:It's not a lot of fun enduring the frozen misery that is January in Violated Livestock, Saskatchewan,

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:46 pm

I KNOW! I loved that too!!!!

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:54 pm

Snow? Here in the Sonoran Desert that is unknown. I admit it has been ver cold (for here) lately. Nights in the 30's and days in the mid 50's. That may not seem cold to you but during the summer we average 105. down to the mid 50's is a 50 degree drop. What temp that you have if your area had a 50 degree drop.

Anyway, enjoy yur snow it will be gone soon enough.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Return to “General Chat”