Terra Nova discussion

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

justTripn
Consigliere
Show On Map: No

Re: Terra Nova discussion

Postby justTripn » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:37 pm

Oh that's too funny! THANK YOU for that link. Seems this reviewer is impressed by impossibly rugged Taylor too, and by the coincidence of all the blue-eyed men. Here's a funny line:

"Do you think we'll die out here?" Maddy asks.

Some male viewers immediately start to think of all the crafty ways you can answer this. But Mark is noble: "I'm not going to let anything happen to you, not tonight, not ever."
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:49 pm

Very funny! :clap:
Image sig by chrisis1033

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:22 am

All right, so I'm the glad EW snarky guy brought this up, because it bothered me, too. Why should we assume Bearded Biceps guy (I keep forgetting his name) is so deserving of Jim's nearly immediate loyalty in fighting the "them" who want to the portal to go both ways? There's a whole planet of people back there apparently doomed to extinction. Why do they need to keep this giant empty planet in a completely pristine state for the teeny slice of humanity lucky enough to go back? (Are the show's creators trying to suggest that really everything is still all about oil??? Is this how we recreate Avatar's virtuous natives against big bad corporate nasties? If the big bad corporate nasties really had that much power, wouldn't all of their OWN families be safely ensconced back in the past by now, busy setting up capitalism 2.0? And is a benevolent dictatorship by blue-eyed bearded guy really that preferable?)

By definition, if they mess with the past too much, the future won't happen the same way and probably won't even be there anymore ... so, why not make things better for the future if they can? Maybe it can be saved.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:02 pm

Not surprising...

Fox cancels 'Terra Nova'
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:21 pm

There's hope! They're still shopping it around to other networks. JAG was saved that way. So was a show called Southland.

I don't watch the show myself, because Dinosaures don't interest ne anymore. But I thought of jT when I read this, http://www.tvline.com/2012/03/terra-nova-cancelled-fox/ and felt bad for her.

But remember this is the same network that cancelled Firefly and Terminator: Sarah Conner Chronicals! :roll:

I hope it gets picked up in another place for jT!
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

lfvoy
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Twitter username: lfvoy

Postby lfvoy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:52 pm

And there's always the story of this little movie called Serenity... Lightning can strike twice! I've seen it happen!
My fan fiction is in The Laundry Room.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:21 am

I know it's one of my favorites! But I was trying to make a point.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:33 am

Sorry to burst anyone's hopes, but Terra Nova is way too expensive for it to have any realistic chance of being picked up by another network.
Last edited by Kevin Thomas Riley on Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:12 am

Killjoy! :-P

Fics

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:08 am

I watch all this stuff on iTunes because I'm out of the country so I have to make an effort to watch something. By mid-season, I was behind several episodes on Terra Nova because it just wasn't very interesting and had become more of a chore than a pleasure to watch.

Before investing that much money in sets and SFX, you would think they would have a good set of scripts lined up so that in the first season, at least, every episode would be strong and move the overall story arcs forward. Instead, we had a number of bottle episodes that didn't move any of the arcs forward and also weren't interesting in and of themselves.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:02 am

How is that any different than with ENT? Not trying to be snarky, I'm honestly curious. Most shows don't do overall story arcs, especially in the first season. Episodic TV by and large is a finicky beast of self contained episodes.

Fics

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:00 am

It's not really different at all. I thought a lot of ENT's first season wasn't that strong, IMHO. Broken Bow was a good, strong start but I didn't think the episodes immediately afterwards had much to say. Fight or Flight is kind of meh, Strange New World is pretty dumb, Unexpected picks up a bit, then Terra Nova heads back to cliche ville.

ENT's first season didn't really have a big story arc so it's not fair to say that they didn't move it forward. I'm fine with shows that don't have big season long arcs (TOS, for example) but that means you have to have strong individual episodes.

Terra Nova had big story arcs but then kept submerging them under monster of the week and their monster of the week episodes weren't very strong.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:22 pm

Thank you WarpGirl for the condolences on my canceled TV show. :( I was worried when all the dangling storylines got wrapped up in the season finale. :(

On the up side, if that guy who plays Taylor moves to a new, less-expensive, TV-show, I'll finally know whether he's partly computer generated. I'm curious whether anyone is really that ruggedly handsome.

Hmmm . . . all of them would make good survivors of the zombie apocalypse on "Walking Dead." But alas, Terra Nova was so fresh and wholesome while being scary. "Walking Dead"
SPOILER!!!:
has no good guys left.
:(
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:07 pm

Well, I have to admit my TV tastes are largely confined to Crime Proceduarals, NCIS NCIS:LA Burn Notice White Collar Unforgettable (which might be cancelled) and Bones. See a pattern there? :lol:

Frankly, I was really into Downton Abby but they killed off William and I can't forgive that. However, I'd love some good period TV. Do you notice they never really do shows about the past?

Fics

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:55 pm

Fics

Return to “General Chat”