Terra Nova discussion

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Elessar
Site Owner

Re: Terra Nova discussion

Postby Elessar » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:37 pm

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:I've now seen all the aired episodes and it's nothing earth-shattering, but not as bad as I thought it would be (otherwise I'd have given up on it by the third episode). It's pretty entertaining but certainly not deep or complex.

There hasn't been a lot of dinosaurs actually, and the show could just as easily have been set on some alien world with dino-like creatures instead of on Late-Cretaceous Earth. The set up was pretty silly - depleted future Earth and some Stargate-like portal. I'd have preferred if it had been a colony on another planet, much like in Earth 2 (remember that show?). The Terra Nova settlement is a bit too squeaky clean to be really believable, but I can buy it.

Oh, and there's shock full of pretty ladies. The mommy doctor, the female lieutenant, the daughter and last but not least the girl who snuck out with the son to jump off a cliff in her bikini. Rowr, she looks like a young Dina Meyer (and I love DIna Meyer)! :drool: But what she sees in the whiny son I cannot fathom...

Small nit pick: This is supposed to be 85 million years ago, then why does the Terra Nova logo show Pangea? That super-continent was 250 million years ago.

85m years ago the continents were probably at least closer together and semi-pangea-like. You know how it would go down in public debate, it looks cool and it symbolizes millions of years ago - so people'd go for it.

Incidentally I don't think they're done with the mystery of where/when they are. I wouldn't be surprised if they are not really 85m years in the past on Earth... if there's a twist somewhere....
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

starwatcher
The Boss's Lady
Show On Map: No

Postby starwatcher » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:21 pm

I'm pleased to see that there's a TN thread on here (although not as pleased as I would be at the possibility of a Walking Dead/'Can we please talk about how hot Daryl Dixon is' thread. Just saying ;-) ) ANYWAY ... I think we're on episode 4 or 5 right about now in the UK and so far it isn't bad: I'm happy to spend an hour on a Sunday night watching it. The characters are, by and large engaging and not too annoying, although the whiny son is VERY whiny. The main couple seem to have a good relationship and the military commander in charge is pretty cool. The effects are also good, but with a reputed $4 million per episode price tag, I would hope so!! I'm excited to see what they do with the set-up they've created.

It does have a very ENT Season 1 feel to it, the whole set up reminds me of The Brady Bunch meets Jurassic Park. Its aired at 6pm here so that does indicate to me that its going to be fairly family-friendly. I do get the sense that there's a story arc in the making, or at least I hope so because otherwise the show could get stale fairly fast. All in all though, I'm enjoying it. I don't know what the situation is like in the US at the moment but here in the UK we're in quite dire need of fresh TV, fresh sci-fi in particular, so this is a welcome break from the constant stream of Strictly Come Dancing/X Factor type shows or the seemingly endless reruns of CSI and Law and Order. Not that I dislike them but I'm just sick of them now.

I agree with The Boss, though: there's got to be some kind of major plot twist coming up soon. I do hope that its a good one!

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:30 pm

Elessar wrote:85m years ago the continents were probably at least closer together and semi-pangea-like. You know how it would go down in public debate, it looks cool and it symbolizes millions of years ago - so people'd go for it.

It still bugs me...

Here is how the continents would look 85 mn years ago.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:06 pm

Another great episode of Terra Nova. Taylor's son, who has been hiding out in the jungle, finally makes an appearance. Love the CGI dinosaur claw marks on the back of his head. The plot thickens . . . .
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

starwatcher
The Boss's Lady

Postby starwatcher » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:09 pm

Damn, that does sound good - for some reason the show took a 2 week hiatus here in the UK, so I fear that we're even more behind you guys - ugh!!!! Have you made good on your promise of writing some fanfic for this show, JT? If you have then let me know when you're done and where its at, and I'll check it out - I enjoy everything you write so I'm sure it will be great :-)

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:48 am

justTripn wrote:Another great episode of Terra Nova. Taylor's son, who has been hiding out in the jungle, finally makes an appearance. Love the CGI dinosaur claw marks on the back of his head. The plot thickens . . . .

I was hoping they'd give CT that job. Anything that doesn't require dressing up as a cop!!! Come on, Braga.

It was a good episode, though. And that little girl is really a remarkably convincing actress for her age.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:11 am

Did I make good on my promise to write something? No. :? I am easily distracted. I'm back to the urgent task of translating Thai pop songs into English.

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:24 pm

justTripn wrote:I'm back to the urgent task of translating Thai pop songs into English.

English needs more pop songs?
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:55 pm

English speakers need more THAI pop songs. Trust me. These songs would never have been written in North America. I will show you what I mean when I am done.

starwatcher
The Boss's Lady

Postby starwatcher » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:49 pm

Having listened to come of the pop songs that are in our UK charts right now, I'd welcome some Thai pop songs as a welcome respite from ex X-Factor contestants. No more Olly Murs, PLEASE!

That said, I do have High School Musical on my iTunes, so I can't really say anything .....

So, JT .... if you have any Terra Nova ff on the backburner and want to share then let me know. I'm always on the lookout for new fics :-) I just wish they'd start re-airing the show over here!

starwatcher
The Boss's Lady

Postby starwatcher » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:52 pm

Alelou wrote: I was hoping they'd give CT that job. Anything that doesn't require dressing up as a cop!!! Come on, Braga.

I just registered this - was he considered for the role? He'd fit right in, I reckon. And I haven't seen him in anything for ages. Might have to start re-watching ENT again ....

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:49 am

Probably he wasn't considered -- the guy they have is a lot younger. I just wish they'd find something for CT to do that doesn't involve being the guest cop of the week. They KNOW he can act. Also, he'd pull in exactly the kind of fan base they ought to want on that show. He would have been a good lead (not that O'Mara isn't).
Image.Image

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:59 pm

I am enjoying Terra Nova enormously. I am now happier about the subplot where they banish a murderer out into the jungle. That wasn't the end. It seems this will be a story arc. I'm loving the scenery. How about that fishing scene? It seems the laws of physics do apply, just belately. I was already laughing hysterically as Jim relaxes in his chair on the edge of a 100 ft. cliff while reeling in a gigantic fish many times his own weight. Then suddenly the laws of physics kick in. Don't worry. Taylor grabs Jim just as he's about to plunge to his death.

I'm not too sure about the physics of that sonic gun either. Was there a kick back as the gun was shot? But the sonic wave sure packed a punch.

Their leader Taylor is so perfectly chisled and tough it's cartoon-ish. In a good way. It's mesmerizing, lol . . . I'm staring at him, going "Is that real, or is it CGI?" (And don't tell me the answer!) How about the scene where Taylor scares off a hungry tricerotops by wielding a flaming branch? Whew, problem solved. Now that dinosaur will never come back ever again! *rolls eyes* lol . . . :tears: :clap: :hatsoff:

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:35 am

Yep. He's just too macho to be true, isn't he? :D
Image sig by chrisis1033

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:04 am

I can't decide if I really like Terra Nova or not, but I sure love this guy's recaps; they are hysterical!

http://tvrecaps.ew.com/tv-show/terra-nova/
Image.Image

Return to “General Chat”