OMG I was just in an EARTHQUAKE!

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

OMG I was just in an EARTHQUAKE!

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:00 pm

5.9 Just hit Richmond and my grammy felt it in Maryland. MY whole house was ROCKING HARD! Officially very very very FRAKED OUT NOW! :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint:
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: OMG I was just in an EARTHQUAKE!

Postby Cogito » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:32 pm

Yikes! Did you come through unscathed?

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:12 pm

Yes I'm okay. But I ran to my parents house, and my nerves are shot. Definitely one of the most terrifying experiences of my life.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

marchale
Commander
Commander

Postby marchale » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:25 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about that, glad to hear you're okay (though I'm sure that must've been a very terrifying experience for you), Hopefully nobody was hurt or killed in it.
http://home.comcast.net/~shadyladyfakes/ - my home page
http://photobucket.com/shadyladyfakes/ - my Enterprise screencaps (they're mainly close-ups!)

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:56 pm

How violent was it? The only earthquake I can remember being in was a few years ago and it was strong enough that I could hear plates rattling but not so strong that there was any risk of property damage.

(I have the dubious honour of being the first person to report that one.)

I don't remember where you're based but http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/dyfi/ shows two recent quakes in Virginia. Was one of them 'yours'?

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:05 pm

The one that affected me was a 5.9 quake near Richmond, I'm a little more than 90 minutes from there.

Fics

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:12 pm

The earthquake along the U.S. east coast had become worldwide news. Apparently I was felt as far north as Canada.

I have a good friend who arrived in Washington D.C. today (he's going to do a PhD program) and that was more or less at the same time as the quake happened. What a welcome!
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:06 pm

I'm still shaking! Seriously I wish my family was around right now, it was a terrible experience.

Fics

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:22 pm

During the earthquake, I was at Virginia Beach, in the ocean. Knowing nothing about an earthquake, I got out of the ocean, left my two boys behind and went back across the street to the timeshare. I turned on the news to check on the Lybian news and see it has been displaced by breaking news about a 5.9 earthquake. I think, 'Oh dear, that's not good. I wonder where the earthquake is this time." Then to my amazement, I see VIRGINIA! I ran back out to the ocean to tell my boys to get out (fearing a tsunami), however on the way, many presumably knowledgeable people told told me there was no problem. Everything was very calm here. About every other person had felt the earthquake.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:27 pm

I'm just trying very hard to calm down. So far there hasn't been anything reported about severe damage, or casualties. But still I am totally freaked.

Fics

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:57 pm

justTripn wrote:I ran back out to the ocean to tell my boys to get out (fearing a tsunami), however on the way, many presumably knowledgeable people told told me there was no problem. Everything was very calm here.

You know, it would never have occurred to me to worry about a tsunami. Now you mention it, it's a worrying thought. You'd have to be pretty brave to trust the advice of total strangers who have (presumably) never seen one, thank god they were right this time.

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:02 am

you guys don't often get those! it's freaky while ur in it, but cool later as a story to tell! lol
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:16 am

Never been in an earthquake. Really would prefer not to. :?
Image sig by chrisis1033

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:14 am

I remember once there was this earthquake, and my cat and I just stood there staring at each other....and for the weirdest few seconds, me and the cat were equal creatures on a shaking crust....no human vs animal....just "shiiiiiiit!" lololol
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:05 am

enterprikayak wrote:I remember once there was this earthquake, and my cat and I just stood there staring at each other....and for the weirdest few seconds, me and the cat were equal creatures on a shaking crust....no human vs animal....just "shiiiiiiit!" lololol

That's kind of cool.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Return to “General Chat”