YouTubes You Just Have to Share With the World...

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

prisocisor

Re: YouTubes You Just Have to Share With the World...

Postby prisocisor » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:07 pm

Great vid EK!

Feakin' scary stuff!

Have you seen this one yet?:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BkeXEbjpMO8

Bloody exclusive, know-it-all, opinion-recycling ass-face... Love the smack-down, and Jesus reference by MM Laughing
What is this kid... 17, 18? I'm sure he's been paying-in big-time with his paper route. Punk Wink

dark_rain
Site Admin
Show On Map: No

Postby dark_rain » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:41 pm

Please try to keep off the politics, people.
voo@octane2:~> uname -a
IRIX64 octane2 6.5 07080050 IP30

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:23 pm

Thank you...

EDIT: You know, I maybe should've left it at that, but it really pisses me off that someone I otherwise like would post a partisan anti-Bush video like that. This thread should be for stuff that'd make you laugh WITHOUT delving into politics. This is exactly he kind of stuff I was talking about not having a place on Trek boards. All it can do is get people pissed off at each other, and I have to say that I'm pretty upset myself right now. Mad

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:36 am

Some might argue that then we shouldn't have giant denim-thonged ass-closeups either...or carefully explained positions on gun control/rights. Some people would find that offensive. But you had no trouble with those subjects. You can't expect others to always pick and choose media you will be comfortable with. I think I can expect we'd all behave like adults here and not engage in political bashing or anything. In fact, one HUGE thing I *love* about this site is the intelligent adults conversing equably with one another about their myriad world views. It's what Star Trek is based on.

It only becomes a problem when someone chooses to take things seriously or personally, which they are not.

My video post above states quite clearly what it's about... so no one will be "sucked in" to viewing something they don't want. Also, there's a specific note in big text at the bottom of the post, stating that I knew this vid may be distasteful to people who don't like to watch things that say Bush isn't a good president. I am not trying to step on toes with it.

However, that distaste alone is not necessarily a good enough reason for other people to have to censor what they otherwise feel is an extremely important collage of rather alarming footage. I think that anyone who is affected by what Bush et al. do (i.e. everyone on Earth) has the right to know as much as possible about the things that go on with him and his associates before they draw conclusions. So watch the video if you want to. Draw your own conclusions as to the footage. It's nothing to do with anyone on *this* board in particular. I didn't even make it. It's just information. There's no insult there at all.
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Jedikatie
Commander
Commander

Postby Jedikatie » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:21 am

^
I did watch it. I wasn't too impressed by it, and didn't think it was absolutely necessary to share with all of us here, which the last time I looked, was a Star Trek board, not a political board. Go somewhere else if you want to talk politics, I personally get enough spin (from both sides) on the nightly news, the newspaper, the radio, and various online news agencies, I don't want or need it here. And for the record, I'm not a Bush supporter.

And believe me, when Elessar gets back, there is going to be a discussion on whether this sort of thing (that is politics, religion, etc.) will be allowed in the future unless it is related specifically to an episode under discussion.

So kindly don't do it again.

And CX, yes, you should have left it at that or not posted at all. Pissed or not, we already had a report on the thread, which you could have done as well to express your displeasure.
Was this the army that invaded your country, ma'am? No, officer, they were taller than that...

How about this one? I'm not sure--get them to march up and down a bit...

(From Terry Pratchett's Jingo)

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:29 am

wow. that's really too bad. i'd have thought people could simply share opinions without getting pissed at one another. but it's not my board...so i "kindly won't do it again", Jedikatie. (Thank you for being kind. I do appreciate it.)

You and john are certainly at liberty to censor whatever you feel needs censoring on your board.

as to this board being about star trek and nothing else....if that was true it'd be a pretty empty place, so that's not a good reason to take something down. lots of things aren't about star trek.

however, as I said, I "kindly won't do it again".
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:05 am

I think they are just trying to say that there are all kinds of places all over the net to talk about politics. But this is one of the last remaining places anywhere on the Web for posting and reading decent Enterprise fics. Much less for like minded fans who share this weird obsession to get together and talk in amity. It is important that we don't screw this place up by deliberately provoking each other over things that have nothing to do with Star Trek, Enterprise, or anything remotely connected to them.

I don't think anybody would fume too much if a political statement was made in reference to an existing episode. For example, in the DS9 review threads people have complained that the Ferengi episodes exhibit an anti-capitalist bias. Nobody threw a fit. We even had a brief discussion about the significance of the way that religion was treated in DS9 and I don't remember anyone blowing a head gasket, although that may be enroaching senility catching up to me.

But as I recall, George Bush doesn't figure in any ST episode I ever heard of. I for one come here to FORGET ABOUT George Bush and the war where my neighbors and friends (and a few distant relatives I recently learned) are getting shot at. I come here to escape and relax. I don't want to argue and get mad. I want to have fun. Besides, we are starting to get inundated with that kind of shit on tv now as the electioneering gets up to full speed.

Argh.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Jedikatie
Commander
Commander

Postby Jedikatie » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:11 am

^
Thank you, bnb, that is exactly what I'm trying to say.
Was this the army that invaded your country, ma'am? No, officer, they were taller than that...

How about this one? I'm not sure--get them to march up and down a bit...

(From Terry Pratchett's Jingo)

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:38 am

70% of the threads on this board are about everything under the sun (there's a lot of trek too of course). I just don't know where the fuzzy line is that delineates between "good, allowable" Non-Trek and "bad, non-allowable" Non-Trek.

I've certainly contributed large amounts to the fanfic and Trek parts of this board over the last three years I've been a member, but I love and thrive on the other (frankly, livlier) parts of this board too. I could go anywhere to discuss politics, true. But I've known many of you for years. I'm interested in your opinions. You're from everywhere on planet Earth. If you don't want to participate, then no one is compelling anyone.

I worry daily about my friends and family in the states. You're my friends, and I think that footage is revealing footage, that's why I posted it. I thought some people might be interested in it. Certainly never to be inflammatory.

(And if you want to forget Bush you can always simply skip YouTubes about Bush. Though I do agree..it would be nice to be able to forget him. I don't want to see big naked butts, but I prefer them to censorship.)

I totally see both of your points. I simply want you to see mine as well.

As Elessar said in the Interesting Article Thread,
ADMIN HAT: We're off topic but as long as it stays civil, lets go head and roll with it.

Cause he wrote that right after he wrote:
I don't get people's distaste for the French. Don't we like freedom and liberty? Sure as hell wasn't an American invention. The Iruqois gave us the idea the French wrote the ground rules, not to mention funded the war. You'd think we give them SOME credit. If the reaction to the French is simply because their opinions regarding the Iraq War or war in general are at characterizable as anti-war at the least and pacifist at the best, then isn't crucifying them for it just another form of intolerance? Tolerance doesn't have to mean believing somebody's right. You can think the French don't know what the real world is about if they think they can survive in it as pacifists, but hating them because they oppose is as intolerant as censoring the press.

And if that's not political, I sure don't know what is.

I guess I'm just hella confused, now that I really give the matter some thought.
One moderator feels one way and one seems to feel another, and I suppose I don't know what the "rules" are quite yet. I really will be quite interested to hear John's sure-to-be fair comments on both sides of this issue when he returns.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:56 am

I don't want to see big naked butts, but I prefer them to censorship.

Touche. You shouldn't have big naked butts shoved in your face. Those of us who are forlornly trying to escape political crap shouldn't have George Bush shoved in our face. I offer you an honorable bargain. If you will agree not to inflict George Bush, Billary Clinton, et. al. on me I swear on my son's 4th goldfish's flush that I will never post a picture of a butt on this board, naked or otherwise, large or small, male or female. Deal?
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

dark_rain
Site Admin

Postby dark_rain » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:52 am

Just DROP IT guys!
voo@octane2:~> uname -a
IRIX64 octane2 6.5 07080050 IP30

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:15 pm

How about something Star Trek related? Something for all the nitpickers out there. Wink

And how about something just for fun? What have we learned from history?. Don't worry, it's nothing political, just a bit of fun about the Trojan horse, and how only the Turkish embassy wouldn't let a modern version through their gates. Wink

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:26 pm

Nice! Awesome vids.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:28 pm

Guffaw Guffaw Guffaw Guffaw Guffaw
--Tecumseh
--King Solomon the Wise

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:03 pm

enterprikayak wrote:I don't want to see big naked butts, but I prefer them to censorship.)

Does this mean I have to take down my signature banner? Sad A similar type of reasoning is what promted my departure from TrekBBS.

CX wrote:How about something Star Trek related? Something for all the nitpickers out there. Wink

Damn them for not following continuity! Bitch Raspberry The most glaring one is Scotty's Kirk reference in Relics.

And how about something just for fun? What have we learned from history?. Don't worry, it's nothing political, just a bit of fun about the Trojan horse, and how only the Turkish embassy wouldn't let a modern version through their gates. Wink

LMAO! Guffaw Guffaw Guffaw At least the Turkish consulate had learned their historical lesson! Thumbs Up
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Return to “General Chat”