Why so few comments?

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Why so few comments?

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:37 pm

I'm just grateful for anything I get. Honestly I feel awkward asking for reviews. I made the choice to write and post, so I don't think I have a right to nag for recognition. Yes I did panic with my last posted chapter because I noticed a lot of REGULAR reviewers hadn't reviewed. But I'm not the type to beg.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Postby Cogito » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:59 pm

My suggestion?

Author wrote:Cash reward for reviews.

SPOILER!!!:
Zero cash reward for reviews.

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:05 pm

Marvel Comics used to have something Stan Lee called a "No-Prize" they would award to people writing in. Took me a while before I figured out it was really, NO prize (I think I was about 10 at the time).

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:22 pm

I wasn't aware that one could post a comment on story in the Archive. I thought that once it was in the Archive that was it. Nothing could be added.

Learn something new everyday.

Asso generally reads all stories and commennts on them. He is very good that way. His comments are always positive. Gentle. He might disagree with the premise of the story but he doesn't let on he does. He praises whatever good he can find in the writing, plot, anything. Marvelous our St. Asso.

Frankly, I don't bvelieve it is a chore to comment on a story that one has read if it was enjoyable or stimulated ones thinking. Since we cannot applaud the comments are as close as we can come to that. Writer likes a pat on the back or written applause. It is a rewared for the writers effort, time, and whatever talent the writer has.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:58 pm

Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:08 pm

Oh yes you can comment on an archived story. That's what I do when I miss something. I think that people have many reasons that they don't comment. Sometimes they just don't know what to say.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:15 pm

Oh, no. There is always something to say. But, well, you know it: Italians are such talkers! 8)
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:44 pm

I think we are all gratefull for any comments we get, because it's like SB says, a pat on the shoulder. I remember one of TnT writers telling that a simple "Thank you" worked better for her then no comment. I do love when I go back on some stories I wrote awhile back and see a new review. It always warms my heart. :loveeyes:
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:52 pm

When I sign on in the morning I check my stories. I have eleven (11) on the main page from the top to Decon. I look to see if there have been any new comments. Nada. Howver, Guests continue to read the stories. So the number of readers goes up. Bless the guests. I also check FF Net. Most of my stories are there too. all of my stories get a few new readers each month. Oddly, "Oh Mr. Tucker" gets at least 100 new readers each month. Most successful of my stories. No new comments there either. It does help to get comments. That way I know I am finding my niche. I will say that FF Net does have one nice thing Favorite Stories and favorite authrors. A couple of my stories have been put on a favorite Story list. Far as I am concerned that is a pat on the back.

SB

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:52 pm

I think it's been suggested before, but I do wish that we writers (I like the sound of that, let me say it again: WE WRITERS) could get notified when somebody has commented on our stories. My little story has been read lots of times, but I wonder how many of those 'readers' are actually me going back every day to look for new comments. :)

And for people who wrote and published their stories yonks ago before I knew what fanfic was, is it worth me commenting? Well of course it is, but the chance of writers going back to check stories they published years ago and noticing a new comment seems pretty slim. Much more satisfying all round if the comment actually got to the author.

Snorpenbass
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Snorpenbass » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:21 pm

Could be that the comments get eaten by a grue.

Nasty things, those grues...
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2315451/

"Why, it would take some kind of enormous egomaniac to dare quote themselves in their own sig!"
--Snorpenbass

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:38 pm

Don't think a Grue got them as this is not the Great Underground Empire. More likely is was a gremlin. those are pretty nasty too. Perhaps the dog ate them.

SB

Return to “General Chat”