Daylight Savings

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Do you have to participate in Daylight Savings?

Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes: 8

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian
Show On Map: No

Daylight Savings

Postby enterprikayak » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:56 pm

So who here besides me is being cruelly forced to switch their clocks around this sunday?

I think some of us aren't going to have to....but lots of us are.

Alas, it is so annoying and intrusive. The light is nice I guess, but if nice light is all we're after then why don't we just switch the clocks 12 hours ahead and have a nice midnight sun like the Yukon? Just for fun. Twice a year. Madness yes?

Do you know, I bet that if all this clock-changing had never been invented and I came along all of a sudden in 2011 and told the world:

"World! Listen up! We're going to be changing some clocks around here, about an hour ahead, but only for SOME of you, okay? And only for about 7 months. And we'll all change on different days, and what have you, aaaaand... we'll just leave it up to everyone and their dog and microsoft and the airlines and the military to figure it all out and make sure no one gets bombed who shouldn't and all the planes land on time and everyone shows up for work on time and the computers all work. We'll be doing this twice a year, just so, y'know, we stay on our toes. Again, this will only be for some of you, and the rest of you will just sit back and watch."

...no one would believe it was possible. They'd say it was a madcap plan guaranteed to cause people to miss planes and miss work and get their circadian rhythms all up in a knot....impossible to achieve in today's world of everything having a computer onboard....and then to start on different days and some not at all? Why:....preposterous.

And yet we somehow make it happen Cap'n.

How do we do that?

It's like, "Wow: we're so smart." But then you realize you're appreciating a cleverness for our clever clever handling of the stupidest thing ever. And so now you're just confused. Are we smart? Stupid? What's going on? Who are all these people?? Why can't I feel my face???
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Daylight Savings

Postby Silverbullet » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:20 pm

EK, Arizona does not switdch. NO daylight saving time here.

Bet you don't know where DST started? In England. WWI Workers in plants were working longer hours so when they got off the Pubs were closed (Weird British drinking laws limited the time Pubs could be open and when.) So, the workers complained hence DST. They got an hour extra so they could slosh down the suds. It caught on in the U.S. screwed up things royaly since Railroad lines did not change. Later neither did Airlines. (I damned near missed a plane in Los Angeles once due to it. Just ran up the ramp as the stew was closing the door.) Anyway that is how we got this Stupid DST. Or at least that is the story I have heard. Haven't Googled it though.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:17 pm

All I know about daylight savings time is that losing an hour of sleep sucks big time. But then, gaining it back is kinda cool.
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:25 pm

All I care about is the clock on my PC switches automatically.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:29 pm

Look at it this way - until we invented trains in the late 19th, we couldn't even agree what time it was once we got out of sight of the local church clock. The fact that these days whole countries manage to agree what time it is, is quite an achievement.

(I do agree the whole concept of daylight savings time is absurd though.)

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:05 am

We don't change to DST until March 27th over here.

It doesn't bother me much, but I'm pretty used to it. And my internal clock is 25-26 hours anyway so I'm constantly screwed up, time-wise... :?
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:05 pm

See what I mean? All different days. :roll:

So it's 6:05 am, but the clock claims it's 7:05 am. I'm sitting here at work, staring at my vacuum. Why, oh why? Cruel world!
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:18 pm

We didn't change. One good thing is that we are on the same time as the West Coast so our Daughter and Grandkids are on the same time. Makes calling and knowing their schedule much easier.

However I keep getting screwed up with the East. How many hours difference now? Wifes cousin is in Miami. My wife talks to her every day. But she doesn't want to call at the same time now because she isn't sure of the Miami time.

SB

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:20 pm

You think you've got trouble? Count yourself lucky you don't live in Brazil. Well, there are lots of good reasons to live there, but DST isn't one of them. Until a couple of years ago, the government used to make up new daylight savings time rules every year, with no set pattern. And some states don't apply DST at all, which makes it pretty chaotic when the clocks change. Even now that there are standardish rules, that all goes out the window if the DST change clashes with the Carnaval week. It's chaos I tell you, chaos.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:54 pm

Cogito, think of the old Soviet Union, how many timezones are there in it. You could have a patchwork of area on DSt and other areas no. That would play the devil with things.

SB

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:09 pm

here in the good old Canad of A, we have 6 time zones, with poor newfoundland being 1/2 on the hour and 1/2 half an hour off.

poor poor newfies. and then to be the butt of all those jokes.....

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:41 am

Oh god you reminded me now I don't know what time it is in PEI!
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:20 am

Here's the world time. *phew*

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

Return to “General Chat”