My apologies

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kotik

My apologies

Postby Kotik » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:29 pm

Hi there folks,

A couple of days ago, I made a mistake and read some TnT fiction that stirred extremely bad memories in me. Unfortunately that prompted me to say some things here (in the yowling rant thread), which were grossly inappropriate. One of the persons I attacked was Alelou - a fellow member, who I value very much. I want to express that I'm very sorry for that and hope she'll forgive me. The frightening thing is, I had to reconstruct part of that from my inbox as my memories of the past few days are a bit hazy.

It's hard to talk about, but since 2006 I've been struggling with depression. I was ok for most of 2007-2009, but I've had some relapses in 2010. Realizing, the morning after I went bezerk, that something was badly wrong, I've had myself delivered to a psychiatric clinic yesterday morning. Not that I remember too much of it, since I was hooked up to an IV with some 'magic juice' for about half of the time. Thankfully I was only kept overnight and returned home about two hours ago. I'll have to go back to taking antidepressants, which affect one's clear thinking (about 90 minutes from now I'll be high as a kite as it's time for a new dosage), so my participation in the community will most likely be farther in between as it had up to now as I'll only have about 8-10 'clear-thinking' hours a day for the next two or three months.

I'll start 1-on-1 consultations with a therapist on friday and I hope I'll be back to being myself sometimes, but it'll be a long-ish way.

Cheers, Kotik

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: My apologies

Postby Silverbullet » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:53 pm

Kotik, I applaud your bravery in telling us this. Not many people would be so open about depresssion as some consider it a mental problem worse than it is.

Take your time but keep in touch and come back to us when you are able. We need you, your humor and intelligence.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:23 pm

Thank you Kotik for your apology. I was kind of afraid the explanation was something like that. :( I am sorry to tell you that several people were very upset by the outburst, including Alelou and me, but I'm glad you told us what all that was about and the most important thing is your recovery. Please do take care and I'll relay the message to Alelou. :hug: Get well soon. You certainly have been through alot lately. :(
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:31 pm

I too applaud your courage in tackling such a horrible problem head-on. I've very much enjoyed your stories and, although I've only joined the forum recently, your contribution here has been thought provoking and entertaining as well. Look after yourself, and I hope you'll stay in touch with the TS community as far as you're able. I'm holding on to the fond hope that one day you'll tell us what happens next in Trip of a Lifetime, but no pressure. Well, maybe just a tiny bit. :D

Best wishes,
Pete (Cogito)

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:43 pm

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:46 pm

Thank you for being so forthright, Kotik. I'm so glad that you're getting the help you need, and I hope that you'll feel better soon. Check back now and again, okay? Pretty soon we'll have "The Slopes of Andoria" finished for you. 8)
Image sig by chrisis1033

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:17 pm

As a fellow taker-of-brain-meds I salute you Kotik. It ain't easy.

Good luck and take it a day at a time.

:hug: :kiss: :thumbsup:
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:38 pm

Thank you all for your encouraging words.

justTripn wrote:Thank you Kotik for your apology. I was kind of afraid the explanation was something like that. :( I am sorry to tell you that several people were very upset by the outburst, including Alelou and me, but I'm glad you told us what all that was about and the most important thing is your recovery. Please do take care and I'll relay the message to Alelou. :hug: Get well soon. You certainly have been through alot lately. :(

Well it's understandable. While I can't remember all exact words, I know what I'm like, when I'm irrational. I'm quite outspoken if I'm feeling fine, so when I'm not in control of all senses, it must've been nasty :(
You're right, a lot bad stuff happened lately and not only lately, but over the course of all year. They actually think that might have contributed to the hefty relapse :?

enterprikayak wrote:As a fellow taker-of-brain-meds I salute you Kotik. It ain't easy.

Good luck and take it a day at a time.

Thanks ek. The stuff I'm taking is called Mirtazapine. It's actually not as bad as I had feared. It makes me sort of sluggish, but my senses stay decently clear through most of the day. I'm taking it in the late evening, so the most impairing effects are sort of slept off. I was still rather woozy in the morning, but by 10am, I was decently alert after that, just slow and tired - the sedative effect doesn't go away over the day. Gives me some hope that I can continue writing, but I'm afraid it will take longer and my beta will have a helluva lot more work to do as I'm sure I will be making even more mistakes than before.

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:17 pm

Kotik wrote:Thanks ek. The stuff I'm taking is called Mirtazapine. .

Isn't that the one with all the weird/lucid dreams?
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:22 pm

enterprikayak wrote:
Kotik wrote:Thanks ek. The stuff I'm taking is called Mirtazapine. .

Isn't that the one with all the weird/lucid dreams?

I don't know. Wikipedia says yes, but I wouldn't take that as a reference concerning a serious medicine. I've only experienced two nights sofar with that stuff in my system and haven't experienced any weird dreams. Many other of the side effects described on the wikipedia page apply though. I've experienced most of them.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:14 pm

Hi Kotik, we all are fragile people and depression is a dark place to be. Hope you get the help you need. :hug:
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Return to “General Chat”