Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Asso
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Oddities

Postby Asso » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:40 pm

What do you think of this thread?
I believe my first image can be explanatory. 8)

The stowaway
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Re: Oddities

Postby Aikiweezie » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:27 am

I don't know. Did the seagull just exit the train?

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:20 pm

That's one modern kind of migrating bird... :lol:
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:17 pm

Technology. Birds are not insensitive to it, I think. And then, you know, flying is wearying. 8)
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:17 am

Image sig by chrisis1033

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:26 am

I could never be a doctor. Some of that stuff squicks me right the heck out. :oops:
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:18 pm

Meh. Doing hair you probably get a pretty good idea of what it's like to be a doctor.

"Fix me. NOW. And I'll ask your advice, but I've already decided what I'm going to do so it's very unlikely that I'll follow it. And when I come back because my way didn't work and the inevitable disaster happened I'm going to expect you to fix me again.

Oh... and God forbid I should be expected to pay anything but the bare minimum for your services no matter how far you bend over backwards to help me because serving my every whim is your JOB." :roll:

I don't get too much weirdness, actually. It's usually pretty normal stuff. And like anybody, it makes my day when I get to help somebody and they're actually grateful.

This odd medical stuff is pretty amazing to me, though. The fact that I'm alive and everything works for the most part is a miracle considering all the millions of things that can go wrong. And I guess nothing much grosses me out anymore compared to the average person, so I don't see them as disgusting, just incredible. Isn't that wart guy just totally wild?
Image sig by chrisis1033

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:20 pm

Aquarius wrote:I could never be a doctor. Some of that stuff squicks me right the heck out. :oops:

I am fascinated by that kind of thing. I watch all those shows on Discovery Health.

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:47 pm

I interned at a hospital - in the pediatric surgury department to be specific - for a while. Didn't find it gross at all - not because I don't have a problem with blood or guts or anything, but because, with everything draped in cloth and plastic-bagged and disinfected, it made it easy to forget that the person underneath the cloth was an actual person.... In fact, the worst thing about the surguries were how warm the rooms were kept to keep the patients from getting post-op infectictions.

You want the oogalies, try the pediatric intensive care units. Now that is something to keep you up at night.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:42 am

Distracted wrote:Meh. Doing hair you probably get a pretty good idea of what it's like to be a doctor.

"Fix me. NOW. And I'll ask your advice, but I've already decided what I'm going to do so it's very unlikely that I'll follow it. And when I come back because my way didn't work and the inevitable disaster happened I'm going to expect you to fix me again.

Oh... and God forbid I should be expected to pay anything but the bare minimum for your services no matter how far you bend over backwards to help me because serving my every whim is your JOB." :roll:

Actually yeah, that's about right in my industry, too. And it's worse at the second job...the one where you pay a cheap price for the cut and we just squirt you down with the water bottle and try to get you out of there in 10-15 minutes. It's in an affluent community, so for their 13 bucks some of them have a hell of a sense of entitlement.

And at those kinds of places, they're more inclined to come in, all jacked up, either from a crappy haircut somewhere else, or cutting on it themselves, or their friend cutting it. The worst are the parents who bring kids in who got a hold of a pair of scissors and took it to their own heads. They always want you to fix it, but they never want to let you cut anything off.

And people: please don't ask your hairdresser which box color to buy at the drug store. If I thought it was any good, I'd be using it. And yes, the world can usually tell that you do it yourself, either from the spots you miss, or from the fact that your hair changes color down the shaft because you keep dumping it all over you whole head every time you do it. You're not "dyeing it blonder," honey--it's getting lighter because you're damaging it to the point that it can't hold pigment any more. It hates you and it wants you to stop now.

And no, I won't come to your house and do it cheaper. Any other industry, they charge you more for the house call. What is it about my profession that you think you should give me less money for the privilege (not) of giving up my free time and gas money to come to your house, where I can't do as good of a job because of your crappy lighting, and it takes six times longer than it should because you keep getting distracted by your phone, your kids, or you just have to smoke a cigarette first, or whatever?

Please respect the fact that I went to school to learn what I know and that if I'm worth a damn, I've continued my training, generally at my own expense...and no, you can't just pick up scissors or a tint bottle and do what I do, just because I make it look easy.

*breathes*

Wow. That feels better now that I got it off my chest...

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:22 am

I used to get something like that in the Fs. guy would ask me over for a "Drink" when I got there "could you look at my TV or Stereo, of some electronics. I would say, "read the Manual? tha tusually works." I didn't mind but often the clown would have his hands in the way so I would simply say I couldn't do anything and leave. Got P.O's once and told a guy that I was tired of being asked over for a Drinkand get hit with can you look at Whatever. "Read the damned manual."

The Manual usually gave a few pointers on tuning, etc. It would say don't try to fis it yourself take th equipment to an authorized dealer. Of course overseas an authorized dealer might night be handy but usually a qualified repair type. Not you friendly local Communications Officer.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:29 am

Aquarius wrote: And people: please don't ask your hairdresser which box color to buy at the drug store. If I thought it was any good, I'd be using it. And yes, the world can usually tell that you do it yourself, either from the spots you miss, or from the fact that your hair changes color down the shaft because you keep dumping it all over you whole head every time you do it. You're not "dyeing it blonder," honey--it's getting lighter because you're damaging it to the point that it can't hold pigment any more. It hates you and it wants you to stop now..

I WISH I could afford to get my hair professionally colored like I used to. I simply can't. :cry: My stylist did tell me to use the root touch up kit and only do the roots, never pull it through. I follow her advice.

As soon as my alopecia goes back into remission (oh please, oh please, oh please) I plan to treat myself with professional color.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:52 pm

I hope with you that your alopecia goes back into remission soon, Aikiweezie and you're able to color your hair.

My mother tried to color my hair a couple of times and I disliked it so much (sorry, Mum!) that I never let any one touch my hair other then my hair dresser, especially when it comes to coloring my hair. I rather wait a little bit longer and save the money then let some unprofessional handle my hair. When I came back from abroad, we lived in a town where we never lived before. So my husband pointed at very inexpensive hairdresser. I was so stupid to fell for it and they butched my hair. I was so depressed afterward I spent the next hours finding a good hairdresser that saved my hair. A good hairdresser is worth her/his money in gold. :D
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:17 pm

Maybe this one is more agreeable.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:54 pm

That's so cool!

Return to “General Chat”