Stargate SG1 + Gun Fans?

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Stargate SG1 + Gun Fans?

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:06 pm

Well he still KILLED her when he had too. Doesn't that prove he could still do his job? I'm confused Boss. :( And if that does mean he was sill "compromised" doesn't that mean that he was "compromised" because of his relationships with both Teal'c and Daniel? Please help!
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian
Show On Map: No

Postby enterprikayak » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:12 am

Elessar wrote:But my gut tells me if you took a normal gun with normal rounds into space, you could fire it, you just wouldn't see the same muzzle velocity you would on earth.

And if you think he's not gonna smuggle a gun onto the very first flight he ever gets to take into space, you're very much mistaken.

:reddawn: :lsr: :reddawn:

:lol:
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:19 am

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: But he might end up in jail!
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:00 am

Sorry I typed it wrong. That should have read "First and only flight into space."

Course, knowing John, he'd prolly find prison educational, and by time he was out he would have used his genius to completely reform the social structure of the facility. Also, there would be a bitching bulletin board service online for all the inmates.

"Triaxianjumpsuit.com"
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:06 am

Well if he does that he can take over the Universe! Hmm... That's a scary thought.

Fics

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:08 am

WarpGirl wrote: Hmm... That's a scary thought.

And yet......prepare yourself. Cause it's prolly gonna happen.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:10 am

WarpGirl wrote:Well if he does that he can take over the Universe! Hmm... That's a scary thought.

I knew there was a reason I always loved Fidel :lol:

Nah, I mean WG don't get me wrong, I was totally a Sam/Jack shipper. I'm not saying their relationship shouldn't have happened. They were in a very unique outfit that saw - on average - WAY more combat than your typical unit. I mean they were on a frontline combat unit essentially, even though they weren't always seeking combat, they were in it a lot. And combat draws people together... and I'm not trying to say women don't belong in combat for this reason... but this is one of the concerns about men/women mixed units, is the fact that having men drawn together in a unit can be a good thing. It can also be compromising too, but I would argue, not as compromising as romantic attachment. They had a unique situation and it was impossible to get out of or around it... but it still meant they were compromised.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:16 am

Well I guess my point is that they were ALL compromized regardless of a J/S romance. I mean they put each other before everything (emotionally) and still managed to kill each other when needed. Come to think of it, I think that SG1 as a group in real life would have probably been split up even if Carter was gay, and nobody was in love with anyone. They are all that close. Part of the reason it took so long for me to accept Vala and Cameron Mitchell. But I love them now. And it looks like the 3rd movie is a "no go" :banghead: so right this moment I'm a little depressed.

Fics

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:08 am

I came to love Vala, and I came to like Mitchell most in the finale. Mitchell for me was always too... well, Mary Sue, I just didn't know that's what it was at the time. There was nothing wrong with him, he was perfect at everything, AND at the beginning they bent over backwards to try and write him as a RDA stand-in. But in the finale I liked how he didn't handle the whole mission very well... I loved the finale, I thought it was really well done... especially Vala. I won't say too much in case you haven't seen it but there's a Vala-Daniel scene that's just incredibly well done and it's not the one most people think of when they see that episode. It was actually kind of subtle.

Anyway, I think my favorite front man might have had to actually be John Sheppard. I just always really liked him, maybe even a little more than RDA. RDA was kind of the Captain Picard to Sheppard's Benjamin Sisko :lol:
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:22 am

lol what time is it there?! i'm on the lazy coast and it's past midnight. go to bed!

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:26 am

Elessar wrote:
But D think about how a round is put together - the casing cavity where the powder sits beneath the projectile is probably a vaccuum. Other than damage to the primer, you can submerse a round in water and then shoot it and water doesn't get into the casing to mix with the powder. So, when a bullet goes off, the oxidizer is either with the gunpowder or it's the oxygen that's in the casing when the projectile's crimped onto the casing. That being said, I know that powder continues to burn to some degree as the projectile travels down the barrel. In atmosphere, that powder is exposed to air as it travels down the barrel, so there's an oxidizer present. So in space, you may have to design cartridges a certain way, or barrels of a certain way, so that there's oxidizer present. You may need to use very fast burning powders or some sort of completely new bipropellant powder that incorporates an oxidizer of its own. But my gut tells me if you took a normal gun with normal rounds into space, you could fire it, you just wouldn't see the same muzzle velocity you would on earth.

The cartridge isn't assembled in a vacuum - the case is packed with powder but any voids will be filled with air. The air is more or less irrelevant - there isn't enough of it to provide any useful amount of oxygen and it isn't required for the charge to go off. Similarly, since the powder burns extremely quickly in a confined space the flame front couldn't possibly absorb any significant quantity of oxygen from the atmosphere after the bullet leaves the case. The powder contains all the materials involved in the reaction and once the reaction has started it is entirely self contained. It would burn in an inert atmosphere, or even in no atmosphere. The only thing that would stop it is something that took so much heat out of the reaction that it fizzled out. Conceivably, if the powder was cold enough it might fail to burn. Or if your bullet had a leak and you immersed it in water, the water-logged propellent probably wouldn't burn because the water would absorb so much heat as it evaporates.

I suspect if you fired a gun in space it might actually work slightly better than in an atmosphere because there would be no air in the barrel impeding the bullet on its way out. The higher the muzzle velocity the greater this effect would be, but it's only a tiny effect anyway. And of course it would be silent. You'd probably see it quite clearly though - I expect the gas discharge would be very obvious in a vacuum.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:53 pm

Elessar wrote:I came to love Vala, and I came to like Mitchell most in the finale. Mitchell for me was always too... well, Mary Sue, I just didn't know that's what it was at the time. There was nothing wrong with him, he was perfect at everything, AND at the beginning they bent over backwards to try and write him as a RDA stand-in. But in the finale I liked how he didn't handle the whole mission very well... I loved the finale, I thought it was really well done... especially Vala. I won't say too much in case you haven't seen it but there's a Vala-Daniel scene that's just incredibly well done and it's not the one most people think of when they see that episode. It was actually kind of subtle.

Anyway, I think my favorite front man might have had to actually be John Sheppard. I just always really liked him, maybe even a little more than RDA. RDA was kind of the Captain Picard to Sheppard's Benjamin Sisko :lol:

The only thing I don't like about Vala is that they went into the crazy time thingie and hooked her up with Daniel! I love both characters but I cannot see them making it work long term. Vala nags too much. And Daniel is far too stubborn for his own good. And the more she nags The more he gets stubborn and occasionally is a complete ass. Something I can't stand. And I'm sorry I still say it was downright creepy because Ben Browder and Claudia Black's unconscious physical chemistry kept messing up the whole Vala/Daniel thing. Watch the very beginning of Arc Of Truth see how the scene is blocked out, then watch the body language with Vala and Cam... If she's supposed to love Daniel, It's CREEPY!

It's like watching CSI all over again Sara and Grissom are supposed to be the OTP but Jorja Fox and George Eads have all the chemistry. :roll: I don't see why they hooked up Mitchell with Carolyn Lam either (the actress is Micheal Shanks wife) And of course you could tell that when Daniel was in the infirmery. It makes no sense to me.

You know I do love John Sheppard too, more than Mitchell, about equally to O'Neill. But they ruined Atlantis for me when Elizabeth left. Don't get me wrong, Sam ROCKS! But that was only a year thing. After that, I just didn't like it anymore. Weir was special, especially with Shepperd whether you ship them or not. I was always annoyed with Ronan and Teyla too, I mean come on those stick fights were like IDK hot! And she has some spineless loser's kid! If they couldn't put her with Ronan They should have let Micheal be a good wraith and kept him around. Can you tell I didn't like CT dying AGAIN! :lol:

Fics

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:34 pm

Cogito wrote:
Elessar wrote:
But D think about how a round is put together - the casing cavity where the powder sits beneath the projectile is probably a vaccuum. Other than damage to the primer, you can submerse a round in water and then shoot it and water doesn't get into the casing to mix with the powder. So, when a bullet goes off, the oxidizer is either with the gunpowder or it's the oxygen that's in the casing when the projectile's crimped onto the casing. That being said, I know that powder continues to burn to some degree as the projectile travels down the barrel. In atmosphere, that powder is exposed to air as it travels down the barrel, so there's an oxidizer present. So in space, you may have to design cartridges a certain way, or barrels of a certain way, so that there's oxidizer present. You may need to use very fast burning powders or some sort of completely new bipropellant powder that incorporates an oxidizer of its own. But my gut tells me if you took a normal gun with normal rounds into space, you could fire it, you just wouldn't see the same muzzle velocity you would on earth.

The cartridge isn't assembled in a vacuum - the case is packed with powder but any voids will be filled with air. The air is more or less irrelevant - there isn't enough of it to provide any useful amount of oxygen and it isn't required for the charge to go off. Similarly, since the powder burns extremely quickly in a confined space the flame front couldn't possibly absorb any significant quantity of oxygen from the atmosphere after the bullet leaves the case. The powder contains all the materials involved in the reaction and once the reaction has started it is entirely self contained. It would burn in an inert atmosphere, or even in no atmosphere. The only thing that would stop it is something that took so much heat out of the reaction that it fizzled out. Conceivably, if the powder was cold enough it might fail to burn. Or if your bullet had a leak and you immersed it in water, the water-logged propellent probably wouldn't burn because the water would absorb so much heat as it evaporates.

I suspect if you fired a gun in space it might actually work slightly better than in an atmosphere because there would be no air in the barrel impeding the bullet on its way out. The higher the muzzle velocity the greater this effect would be, but it's only a tiny effect anyway. And of course it would be silent. You'd probably see it quite clearly though - I expect the gas discharge would be very obvious in a vacuum.

Yeah I didn't mean to say 'vacuum' I just meant airtight - but I wasn't sure if powder had its own oxidizer, it makes sense that it would though. There are interesting questions about how firing would be different... one thing is certain though, the barrel would heat up faster after subsequent shots because there's no gaseous medium to provide any mechanism of heat transfer.
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:36 pm

did u ever figure out what smoke would act like in a vacuum? wood smoke?

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Tue May 10, 2011 7:32 am

enterprikayak wrote:did u ever figure out what smoke would act like in a vacuum? wood smoke?

I have no idea, I guess it would diffuse in all directions, since it's a gas. Smoke tends to undergo turbulent flow in atmosphere but in a vacuum it may not, so it may look totally different - more like a gas just being evacuated. Like they show explosive bolts act in Star Trek.
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Return to “General Chat”