Hufflepuff
13%
Slytherin
19%

Total votes: 16

Yashida
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Which Hogwarts house do you belong to?

Postby Yashida » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:58 pm

Whenever I do a sorting test I always get slytherin; I don't mind, it's dead on. You see, many people make the mistake of thinking slytherin is for 'the evil people', but the sorting head song clearly states it's basically the house of the cunning!
Thus being evil and/or power hungry is not the neccessary prerequisite to get slytherin.
Being cunning is.

Unfortunately a number of people who belong to the evil and/or power hungry category and have gotten sorted into slytherin give the entire house a bad reputation.

I'm quite fond of the books and don't think the movies are bad at all (quite a reasonable attempt to make the series into movies actually; love Alan Rickman as Snape, perfect casting if you ask me especially the voice, also love Tom Felton as Draco (yes Snape and Draco are my favourite characters), but the new actor for Dumbledore (since 3th movie) really rubs me the wrong way), though the books are deffinitely better.
Like to read the story between the lines, the one that's not from Harry's pov.

I only discovered the books by accident when 'Order of the Phoenix' came out and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about; next thing I knew I was missing out on my biochemistry class at the uni...

Ah, well, now I'm just hoping the last two movies will be better than I fear they will be; 'The Halfblood Prince' as a movie was a bit of a disappointment.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Show On Map: No

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:34 pm

I saw The Deathly Hallows, Part 1 movie recently and just finished the book this weekend. I must say that the ending was a bit underwhelming and even confusing at times. There were all these horcruxes and then the "deathly hallows", plus the sword of Gryffindor, but apprehending them felt disjointed and sometimes like it didn't matter much anyway. Then the sudden importance of the Elder Wand and whoever turned out to be its master, which kept changing. Eventually it all came down to blind luck. At least that's how I felt.

I'm glad Snape turned out to be a good guy after all. I actually thought he had switched allegiances in The Half-Blood Prince. But it didn't seem to matter much for the outcome that he had been working undercover, except that he made sure Harry got the sword of Gryffindor. Snape was never the master of the Elder Wand. And Dumbledore was a fool to leave so little information behind. Things could very easily have gone terribly wrong.

And I just don't understand Voldemort's thinking at the battle of Hogwarts. Why call off the fight for a while just so the defenders could regroup, especially since it looked like he was winning? That battle was disappointing. It gets interrupted for lengths at a time, like when Harry just went off to experience Snape's memories, and only because the plot required him to know them at that point.

Speaking of the battle, I had been lead to believe that a lot of characters would die, but that wasn't the case. "Only" Lupin, Tonks and one of the Weasley twins. I had more or less expected people like Neville, Luna, Hagrid, Draco and MacGonagall to bite the dust too.

I got the distinct feeling that the last book was rushed and that Rowling didn't quite know how to tie up all the loose ends, but that she had to.

Now that I have read all the books, I can safely say that I like the movies a lot more. I somehow cannot get over Rowling's simple prose, and I actually think some of the actors convey more depth to their characters than what's written in the books. That's especially true for Snape. Alan Rickman is just so much better at being Snape than he's written.

A general problem with the Harry Potter stories (both mediums) is that it's an awful lot of telling and too little showing. Harry and the gang mostly stumbles into information, often by over-hearing things (with the convenient help of the invisibility cloak) or being told about it. There's also another convenience about Dumbledore's pensieve, with the stored memories, which acts just like another telling device.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Yashida
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby Yashida » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:24 am

I saw the first part too a few months ago.

I wasn't that bad really, though still a bit dissappointing in some ways.

I am glad they decided to split it up into two movies though; I don't even want to try and imagine what few things would have made it on screen if they'd actually tried to squish it all into one movie...

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:01 pm

I actually got bored when they went around aimlessly on the run for a considerable length of time. That's went I stopped reading the final book last year, until I just recently picked it up again, after having seen the movie. :? That's a part they could easily have chopped off from the movie.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:27 pm

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sun May 01, 2011 9:59 pm

I went to Universal Studios "Harry Potter World" on Friday. It's a must see for any serious Harry Potter fan, I must say. An amazing place. And the wands they sell there are real. The only spell they do is to magically separate you from thirty dollars, but they do it very effectively. ;-)
Image sig by chrisis1033

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Mon May 02, 2011 12:01 am

Distracted wrote:The only spell they do is to magically separate you from thirty dollars, but they do it very effectively. ;-)

:lol: :clap:

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Mon May 02, 2011 12:08 am

One thing that got me was that Ginny, the girl harry married, was in the books so little. She was an afterthought. Then in th epilogue they are married with a family. It would have been nice if she had appeared more often with a serious role in the stories.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:01 pm

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:11 pm

Think some of the younger types may have treated this poll as a joke rather than seriously. Of course given the selections it may have looked like a joke.

SB

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:29 pm

Why, I'm not a younger type, and Snape is certainly my favourite...

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:10 pm

Realy? What did you think of the Dementors?

I always had a soft spot in me for Hermonie (sp) girl could run rings around Harry. Actually never cared for Harry at all. He never learned. Kept making the same mistakes over and over. Thick as two planks.

SB

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:05 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Realy? What did you think of the Dementors?

Uh, what's that got to do with anything? The Dementors where just mindless scary drones.

I always had a soft spot in me for Hermonie (sp) girl could run rings around Harry. Actually never cared for Harry at all. He never learned. Kept making the same mistakes over and over. Thick as two planks.

Oh, I like Hermione too, but that maybe more thanks to the cuteness of Emma Watson. :oops:

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:14 am

Watson was a lot cuter than the description of Hermoine in te books. She didn't have buck teeth or bushy hair. She had a nice figure in some of the later films.

Liked Hermoine but never knew what she saw in Ron. the guy had the manners of a pig and was thicker than Harry. Still she married him in the epilogue No accounting for tastes.

SB

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:29 pm

Heh! Poor Hufflepuff, always the butt of jokes...

Get dating advice from the ladies of Hogwarts

Return to “General Chat”