Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Re: Yowling Rant

Postby honeybee » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:19 am

Tangentially related rant:

Apparently, all the database urls I took the time to put up on Desire2Learn over the summer don't work from off campus. Apparently I should have known that and put them through the special url truncator which also makes them accessible from off campus.

No good deed goes unpunished. I didn't have to put the urls - I could have just told the students to look the stuff up on proquest.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:22 am

^ Aw, snap!! :( That sucks, honeybee!
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Postby Alelou » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:47 am

I believe what you and SB just wrote is the very definition of self righteousness, actually.

I'm sorry for your friend's pain and yours. Of course that will influence your own opinions and preferences. But when it causes you to label a talented writer's work "abominable crap" in a public forum and imply that other people are somehow in the wrong for reading or enjoying it, I'm going to protest.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

justTripn
Consigliere
Show On Map: No

Postby justTripn » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:45 pm

OK, guys, this situation has exceeded the limits of civility. Kotik knew he was stepping over a line when he began that his post was rated NC-17 and proceeded to use the f-word multiple times. Several people have made useful comments. I particularly appreciate Distracted's take on things. Alelou you are right to stand up for the absent authors being attacked. Kotik consider this your first official warning. Repeat offenders will be banned. I should probably delet the whole thread. It's a shame.

Official adminstrator comment--jT, Ann
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:05 pm

Alright, so here's what's going to happen. I'm going to lock this thread for a few days until I think everyone has chilled out a little.

Secondly, nobody gets to preface a post with "This is going to be NC-17" and then throw out a dozen f-bombs. That's just not how it works, period.

Thirdly, I really hope we don't need to go over again that there isn't any name-calling or vitriolic ranting at anyone. For a long time, everyone could handle threads like these where you rant at a situation or a thing, but never a person. If it can't be handled, I'll close every rant thread that comes up.

Fourth - this entire enragement that just went on was pointless. Was the story in fact even So'Ke'Fe? Does anyone even know? Was there even any reason for anybody to get all personally offended and start shouting expletives? If ever there was a semi-justified reason to piss off your local admin, this wasn't even close to one of them.

Warnings are forthcoming.

PS: All references to the conversation were deleted. If you had a post that was deleted that you felt there was nothing wrong with, don't be offended it was not an indication there was something wrong with your post.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Return to “General Chat”